• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Bowlers Countdown Thread 100-1

Bolo

State Captain
Lindwall the first bowler to appear who would make everyone's list of ATGs? Not saying someone like Roberts isn't one, but I'm sure some people would overlook him- see DoGs overshadowed comment.

Interesting that he places next to Pollock with half as many career wickets, and who isn't so well regarded anyway. Lack of competition for wickets and Pollock playing really good opponents I guess.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also the fact that there's 40 odd bowlers left means there's probably only 30-35 fast bowlers left.

I'm anticipating the usual 20 or so atg quicks, Benaud, Kumble, Harbhajan, Grimmet, O'Reilly, Laker, Underwood, Murali and Warne. Ranking Lindwall so low isn't really as low as you might think.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Also the fact that there's 40 odd bowlers left means there's probably only 30-35 fast bowlers left.

I'm anticipating the usual 20 or so atg quicks, Benaud, Kumble, Harbhajan, Grimmet, O'Reilly, Laker, Underwood, Murali and Warne. Ranking Lindwall so low isn't really as low as you might think.
Benaud Harbhajan Underwood are already on the list. Agree on the other 6 spinners. Im not exactly sure where Kumble ranks, will be interesting.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Didn't Harbhajan and Underwood already go?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Lindwall obviously had more career points than Pollock, but Pollock had overwhelmingly the greater points per innings (4.63 vs. 3.91 overall and 6.08 vs. 3.87 away from home).

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
41 RR Lindwall 748
42 JA Snow 744
43 PM Pollock 743
44 AME Roberts 740
45 IR Bishop 738
46 Yasir Shah 737
47 CEH Croft 732
48 D Gough 731
49 DL Underwood 729
50 WW Hall 728
51 SCJ Broad 728
52 BS Chandrasekhar 728
53 N Kapil Dev 726
54 CJ McDermott 726
55 AR Caddick 725
56 JR Thomson 724
57 ARC Fraser 722
58 Harbhajan Singh 722
59 H Trumble 720
60 M Morkel 719
61 MA Starc 717
62 GP Swann 717
63 NAT Adcock 716
64 LR Gibbs 715
65 Saeed Ajmal 715
66 R Benaud 715
67 CTB Turner 708
68 JH Wardle 701
69 TM Alderman 700
70 JB Statham 700
71 GD McKenzie 700
72 SR Clark 699
73 JN Gillespie 698
74 MW Tate 694
75 FH Tyson 694
76 KR Miller 694
77 B Lee 685
78 MG Hughes 684
79 SCG MacGill 683
80 GF Lawson 682
81 Saqlain Mushtaq 681
82 BS Bedi 681
83 CL Cairns 674
84 TA Boult 672
85 JR Hazlewood 672
86 HH Streak 671
87 MJ Hoggard 670
88 WA Johnston 670
89 Z Khan 668
90 H Verity 667
91 N Wagner 667
92 SE Bond 665
93 PM Siddle 664
94 WPUJC Vaas 663
95 BA Reid 656
96 GAR Lock 655
97 EAS Prasanna 655
98 Danish Kaneria 654
99 NM Lyon 650
100 BR Taylor 649

Who will be in the next bracket (31-40)?

Last edited:

stephen

I suspect that Harris and Davidson are coming up soon. If Ntini is going to show up it'll probably be in the next 5 bowlers. Botham too probably. Willis probably will be in the next group too.

Herath was a spinner I'd missed who I think will be listed. Qadir and the current Indian spinners too.

stephen

Yeah actually you're probably right.

Johnson will show up soon.

Johnson, Botham, Ntini are three bowlers with an average of 28 who have all taken a lot of wickets and I expect that they'll all feature pretty soon.

Bolo

State Captain
I suspect that Harris and Davidson are coming up soon. If Ntini is going to show up it'll probably be in the next 5 bowlers. Botham too probably. Willis probably will be in the next group too.

Herath was a spinner I'd missed who I think will be listed. Qadir and the current Indian spinners too.
Davidson, Ntini, Botham, Herat, Johnston and Willis yes. Im not sure about Jadeja and Harris. It would be equally surprising to see them this high up or for them to have missed out entirely. Ashwin likely to crack the top 30.

Philander coming close to 30.

stephen

Davidson, Ntini, Botham, Herat, Johnston and Willis yes. Im not sure about Jadeja and Harris. It would be equally surprising to see them this high up or for them to have missed out entirely. Ashwin likely to crack the top 30.

Philander coming close to 30.
Harris had virtually identical stats as Reid, but with a better average in a more batter friendly era. It'd be weird if he didn't make the cut.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harris had virtually identical stats as Reid, but with a better average in a more batter friendly era. It'd be weird if he didn't make the cut.
Reid only finished 95th though. Plus his career length was longer even if the Tests they played were the same.

stephen

Reid only finished 95th though. Plus his career length was longer even if the Tests they played were the same.
True, but someone like Bishop didn't have many more wickets than Harris and ended up 50th or thereabouts.

Maybe he won't be in the list, but if not I'd be a bit disappointed, because I think he was better than many of the bowlers in the 50-100 range.

Slifer

International Captain
Actually Harris had 113 wkts and Bishop 161. That's about a 50 wicket difference. That's not huge but significant. Harris may very well end up in the top 40 though so let's see.

Bolo

State Captain
I think era averages ends up as a bit of a tiebreaker in this analysis. Averages have not shifted around that much in modern cricket- it's a few percentage points between Harris and Reid's time. Measures like quality of opposition, pitch conditions and ranking of performances can see huge swings, plus there are a ton of variables at play. No idea if this puts Harris behind Reid or significantly ahead of him. It's really tough predicting rankings.

Harris isn't too far away from twice as many away wickets per game at half the average of Reid. Be a pity to not see him ahead.

smash84

The Tiger King
so who is showing up in the 31- 40?

We haven't seen Fazal yet, nor alec bedser. They should be showing up soon

Last edited: