• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Bowlers Countdown Thread 100-1

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harbhajan was terrific for the first few years and his 2001 series was an ATG effort but he was pretty much darting them in for the 2nd half of his Test career.

Burgey

Do you think playing a lot of LO cricket ****ed him up a bit as a test bowler as his career went on?

vcs

Possible. Wickets in India were also pretty flat in the latter half of the '00s, TBF to him. We got to No. 1 on the back of Sehwag, scoreboard pressure, and the occasional reverse swing spell from Zaheer.

OverratedSanity

Harbhajan was terrific for the first few years and his 2001 series was an ATG effort but he was pretty much darting them in for the 2nd half of his Test career.
Tbf to bhajji, even in the latter half where he was rubbish, he did have a couple of great performances overseas. He almost bowled the team to a series win in SA. I think the flatness of indias home pitches during that time definitely ****ed him up a bit mentally. He looked so reluctant to toss the ball up and without that old loop of his he was completely toothless.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Dravid and VVS are always remembered but in that series it was Harby who single handedly strangled the best team ever. What a weed!

OverratedSanity

Funniest thing about Kolkata 2001 is that when you watch the highlights of the second innings, many of the Australian batsmen miss straight balls and are plumb lbw but walk off shaking their heads as though they've been sawn off. Always worth a watch for the chuckle. Mcgrath's look of shock at being given out padding up to a gentle off break on off stump the perfect climax.

morgieb

Tbf to bhajji, even in the latter half where he was rubbish, he did have a couple of great performances overseas. He almost bowled the team to a series win in SA. I think the flatness of indias home pitches during that time definitely ****ed him up a bit mentally. He looked so reluctant to toss the ball up and without that old loop of his he was completely toothless.
Yeah I feel like if Harby was playing today he'd be amongst the best bowlers in the world. Like quite a bit better than Ashwin/Jadeja.

Days of Grace

International Captain
No.55

Andrew Caddick (England) 725

Quality Points: 653
Career Points: 72

Career: 1993-2003
Wickets: 234
Gold Performances: 6
5/63 vs. West Indies at Bridgetown 1994 (15.83)
5/42 vs. Australia at The Oval 1997 (17.73)
7/46 vs. South Africa at Durban 1999 (17.68)
5/16 vs. West Indies at Lord's 2000 (17.67)
6/122 vs. New Zealand at Christchurch 2002 (15.13)
7/94 vs. Australia at Sydney 2003 (17.14)
Silver Performances: 6
Bronze Performances: 4

Overall Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 27.11 (29.91) 56.62 (57.94) 4.78
50 Innings Peak Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings (1994-2000): 23.40 51.55 5.22
Non-Home Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 26.82 56.58 4.62
Quality Opposition Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 28.86 56.79 4.86

Surprising number of gold performances from Caddick.

vcs

Funniest thing about Kolkata 2001 is that when you watch the highlights of the second innings, many of the Australian batsmen miss straight balls and are plumb lbw but walk off shaking their heads as though they've been sawn off. Always worth a watch for the chuckle. Mcgrath's look of shock at being given out padding up to a gentle off break on off stump the perfect climax.
Just when we were flagging a bit, Sachin came on and took 3 wickets. Great times. :D

I genuinely think the atmosphere in the stadium carried us to a win that day, rarely seen the likes of that in a cricket match (I don't think it's ever been that good in India since then).

OverratedSanity

Just when we were flagging a bit, Sachin came on and took 3 wickets. Great times. :D

I genuinely think the atmosphere in the stadium carried us to a win that day, rarely seen the likes of that in a cricket match (I don't think it's ever been that good in India since then).
The cheer that went up at Gilchrist's wicket... Ridiculous.

Days of Grace

International Captain
No.54

Craig McDermott (Australia) 726

Quality Points: 644
Career Points: 82

Career: 1984-1996
Wickets: 291
Gold Performances: 3
8/141 vs. England at Manchester 1985 (16.38)
8/97 vs. England at Perth 1991 (16.79)
6/53 vs. England at Brisbane 1994 (15.67)
Silver Performances: 7
Bronze Performances: 7

Overall Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 27.94 (28.63) 55.90 (57.00) 4.74
50 Innings Peak Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings (1986-1993): 24.71 49.80 5.84
Non-Home Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 31.41 61.24 4.09
Quality Opposition Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 26.96 51.17 4.89

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
In terms of points per match for a series with >=3 tests, Harbhajan's might be the greatest ever?
Yes, because 80.48 in 3 Tests would equate to 107.31 in 4 Tests, and the list shows that no-one's achieved that (since Laker played 5 Tests).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought of posting earlier today about wondering when McDermott would come up. That answers that question.