• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moeen Ali racially abused

Status
Not open for further replies.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just because you feel a certain way doesn't mean everyone else should have the same threshold for bull**** as you, nor that their reaction isn't justified.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
So was he actually called a terrorist ?

And yes I live in South Africa so I have 'walked in his shoes'
I cannot think of any reason other than a reference to terrorism as to why someone would call a Muslim "Osama".

Heboric

International Debutant
Just because you feel a certain way doesn't mean everyone else should have the same threshold for bull**** as you, nor that their reaction isn't justified.
I am not the one using strong language like 'OMFG' and 'JFC'. So maybe you should look at those Internet Tough Guys

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I am not the one using strong language like 'OMFG' and 'JFC'. So maybe you should look at those Internet Tough Guys
No but you are the one that seems to think its ok to tarnish all Muslims with bin ladens brush.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's all a far cry from when the Aussies nicknamed Mike Brearley 'The Ayatollah' because he grew a silly beard, and everybody laughed with them

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
It's like the Harbhajan incident, if there's no proof and no admission of guilt, can't do much.

The accused should be named though, so he can get talked about like Harbhajan did

Last edited:

morgieb

It's all a far cry from when the Aussies nicknamed Mike Brearley 'The Ayatollah' because he grew a silly beard, and everybody laughed with them
Well society has changed significantly since the 70's.

Plus Brearley isn't Muslim.

OverratedSanity

If it's just a light hearted jab at moeen's appearance I can sort of buy it being an inappropriate but not necessarily full on racist remark. If the comment was made in a derogatory manner with the intent of demeaning him, and it seems moeen is saying it was, then it's racist as **** afaic.

No but you are the one that seems to think its ok to tarnish all Muslims with bin ladens brush.
He didn't say that. Calm down.

OverratedSanity

It's like the Harbhajan incident, if there's no proof and no admission of guilt, can't do much.

The accused should be named though, so he can get talked about like Harbhajan did
They just need to find something that sounds similar to what was heard but actually was a reference to moeen's mother. "something something yo mama..."?

Spikey

If it's just a light hearted jab at moeen's appearance I can sort of buy it being an inappropriate but not necessarily full on racist remark. If the comment was made in a derogatory manner with the intent of demeaning him, and it seems moeen is saying it was, then it's racist as **** afaic.
i mean, it's been said by someone in the 2015 australian team.

morgieb

I feel like it wasn't intended to be racist, but was said in an insulting manner.

andmark

International Captain

He didn't say that. Calm down.
Nah, I've got to disagree re the tone which he said it influencing the extent to which it's racist. If we think stupid impromptu jibes as being less racist than a full-on character assessment, then it's a very slippery slope.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If it's just a light hearted jab at moeen's appearance I can sort of buy it being an inappropriate but not necessarily full on racist remark.
Hmm I can sort of see this, but the aesthetic similarities between Moeen and Osama are inextricably linked to his race (and religion I guess, if we're talking beard here).

And even if this were the case you'd hope the player would just own up to it, admit this and apologise for not considering that it could be misinterpreted as racism. Seems like he's just flat out denied it (assuming he didn't actually call him a "part-timer", lol).

flibbertyjibber

I cannot think of any reason other than a reference to terrorism as to why someone would call a Muslim "Osama".
Unless it is his name.

Friend of mine had trouble with their neighbours son who is called Osama and people claimed they were being racist when they called him by his name.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well society has changed significantly since the 70's.

Plus Brearley isn't Muslim.
Exactly my point, and Brearley was in the vanguard of those in sport who opposed racism - he got very cross when Middlesex signed Vince Van Der Bijl in 1980 because he was so anti South Africa, yet iirc he laughed at the Ayatollah reference as well

Status
Not open for further replies.