• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers harshly done by their own cricket board

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
In this thread I would like people to comment on cricketers who were very harshly done by their own cricket boards and kept out of International cricket unfairly despite their performances being worthy of selection or in some instances exceptional. Dean Jones is an exceptional batsman who tore attacks apart with his explosive batting in both Test and one day cricket, however his cricket career was prematurely terminated by the ACB at the time. David Hookes although not possessing an exceptional average or strike rate as Jones was still considered better than some of the batsmen selected to play for Australia at that time. He was never given a chance to reach his full potential at Test level. They were both said to have been kept out of the Australian team, not for what they did on the field, but more for what they said off the field .
I can think of two Indian batsmen who have cause to feel thus. One is Vinod Kambli , who I have recently heard is playing in South African domestic cricket. The other is Ajay Jadeja, who was much maligned over match fixing scandals, and while the main accused in this continued playing, Jadeja lost his cricketing career.
Any Comments ? Am I wrong in saying what I said above ?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
JASON said:
In this thread I would like people to comment on cricketers who were very harshly done by their own cricket boards and kept out of International cricket unfairly despite their performances being worthy of selection or in some instances exceptional. Dean Jones is an exceptional batsman who tore attacks apart with his explosive batting in both Test and one day cricket, however his cricket career was prematurely terminated by the ACB at the time. David Hookes although not possessing an exceptional average or strike rate as Jones was still considered better than some of the batsmen selected to play for Australia at that time. He was never given a chance to reach his full potential at Test level. They were both said to have been kept out of the Australian team, not for what they did on the field, but more for what they said off the field .
I can think of two Indian batsmen who have cause to feel thus. One is Vinod Kambli , who I have recently heard is playing in South African domestic cricket. The other is Ajay Jadeja, who was much maligned over match fixing scandals, and while the main accused in this continued playing, Jadeja lost his cricketing career.
I completely agree with you about Dean Jones. He was one batsman that I admire a lot and IMO was the best batsman of the Border era in Aussie cricket. He was just amazing in ODIs as well. And he had a quality that not many Aussie batsman have....he could play spin exceptionally well.

I don't rate Kambli very highly. He had one incredible run around 1992-93 where he seemed like scoring a 100 or a double hundred in every match but then he tapered off. He got chances for 3 more years but he couldn't make much out of them. He had serious technical flaws in playing the quick stuff. He played ODIs for some more years but couldn't make much out of them either. But I remember the hiding that he gave to Warne in Sharjah around 1995.

Deja moo

International Captain
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Bevan was unfairly axed from not only the Australian ODI side, but also lost his CA contract too.
Forgot 'bout that !

Agree 100 % with you . :ph34r:

Waughney

International Debutant
JASON said:
Jones was a great batsman but he was a choker (in tests). The selectors reasoned that he saved his best for when it was needed least :dry: except for a couple of oustanding performances eg. double hundred in India.
But he was one of Australia's greatest ODI players and I agree that he was wrongly dropped from ODI's :-O

a massive zebra

International Captain
Other players who are worthy of mention include Stuart Law, Mike Hussey, Clarrie Grimmett and Martin Saggers.

I cannot help but think that although Katich has done well for Australia, Hussey is a far better batsman. Law failed in ODIs, had a good Test debut but never returned to the fold, despite outstanding domestic form. Clarrie Grimmett was dropped many years ago despite taking 46 wickets in his last series! Astounding. Martin Saggers has been the best bowler in England for a few years now but the selectors wont pick him because they are obsessed with pace. There seems to be a consensus these days that 'pace will get wickets' although quite clearly it doesn't unless you can also bowl consistently in the right area. Saggers is not particularly fast but his consistently threatening line and length and good variation would create a far more formidable proposition for Test batsmen than someone fast like Simon Jones who only gets it on target a couple of times an over.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
Law failed in ODIs
Stuart Law's ODI Career
54 matches, 1237 runs@ 26.89, SR: 75.28
134.3 overs, 12 wickets@ 52.91, SR: 67.2, Economy: 4.72 rpo

Law's batting average is not great, though his batting strike rate is fairly good.

Overall though Law didn't translate his domestic form into the international arena.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Stuart Law's ODI Career
54 matches, 1237 runs@ 26.89, SR: 75.28
134.3 overs, 12 wickets@ 52.91, SR: 67.2, Economy: 4.72 rpo

Law's batting average is not great, though his batting strike rate is fairly good.

Overall though Law didn't translate his domestic form into the international arena.
Was never really given a chance at Test level though.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
I'd add Tim Zoehrer to the list.

I guess history vindicates his omission (he was replaced by Ian Healy), but at the time It seemed pretty stupid. I thought he was pretty good.

Darren Lehmann was overlooked consistently for two seasons when he was consistently the best player in domestic cricket until he was finally recalled a couple of years ago. I guess more recently you could say the same for Mike Kasprowicz

a massive zebra

International Captain
bennyr said:
I guess more recently you could say the same for Mike Kasprowicz
Kasprowicz has been given plenty of chances at Test level and until recently his bowling average was 37. Hardly good enough for a bowler in the world's best team.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
a massive zebra said:
Kasprowicz has been given plenty of chances at Test level and until recently his bowling average was 37. Hardly good enough for a bowler in the world's best team.
True enough, but he could have been reconsidered earlier. I guess there were reasons for selecting Bracken and Williams in terms of looking to the future, but I reckon the Aussie bowling attack could have used him when they were so thin, but he was not part of the selectors plans. This is what I was referring to.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Mohinder 'Jimmy' Amarnath. Once he called the selectors 'Bunch of Jokers' . I dont know of a better player who has been dropped so many time for non-cricketing reasons.

Another Player is 'Waqar Younis' . After the world cup, PCB forced him to retire.

Sudeep

International Captain
Nayan Mongia.

Is arguably still the best wicket-keeper in India, and a much improved batsman too.

Slow Love™

International Captain

Haha, just kidding. Although his batting average wasn't half bad, and he made 79 or so in the last match he ever played...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Gavin Rennie (ZIM)
The rebel 15 which dont need going into on this thread (ZIM)

Stuart Law (AUS)
Shaun Pollock (SA).. Okay he has done well from SA cricket, but when he was sacked for the team's WC2003 performance, and of course made the scapegoat... I really thought the loonies had escaped from the asylum and straight into the UCBSA....

Vinod Kambli
Michael Bevan
Mark Lathwell
Devon Malcolm (didnt rate him but they treated him quite shockingly still)

pakster

U19 12th Man
Basit Ali, was a very talented batsmen...i remember he smashed WI for a ton off like 80 balls.
Wasim akram, the way he was treated by the board.....he didnt even have a fare-well match, was just dismissed like a PT player who done nothing for PAK!!

Langeveldt

Soutie
pakster said:
Basit Ali, was a very talented batsmen...i remember he smashed WI for a ton off like 80 balls.
Wasim akram, the way he was treated by the board.....he didnt even have a fare-well match, was just dismissed like a PT player who done nothing for PAK!!
But to be honest... Not many players get "farewell matches"... not even special ones...

It probably all depends on if they can find sponsors etc..