• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali: I will continue to bowl the doosra

Sehwag309

Banned
chicane said:
But being the Prime Minister of Australia he shouldn't make public statements like that.
If he was regular JOE, it would have been different. BUt being the PM of AUS..does make a difference.

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
JBH001 said:
Sudeep Popat that was a great read on those links.
Thanks for that.
I am now, more than ever, behind Murali on this one.
The only reason I can think of why he should stop bowling the doosra is that he is a better and more effective bowler without it.
Though if he was banned for 12 months it might be a good thing.
A year off the game, time to rest and recover from a history of injuries in the last few years and perhaps fine tune his action - which has become a bit ragged in the last year or so.
He may be back - better than ever!

:wacko:

anzac

International Debutant
oh and now he's contemplating pulling out of the AUS tour because the PM called him a chucker...............what does he expect - his delivery action has been found to be illegal and he has continued to use it - he's just lucky that they didn't ask Howard if he thought he was a cheat!!!!!!!
:crybaby:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali :I will continue to bowl the doosra

anzac said:
oh and now he's contemplating pulling out of the AUS tour because the PM called him a chucker...............what does he expect - his delivery action has been found to be illegal and he has continued to use it - he's just lucky that they didn't ask Howard if he thought he was a cheat!!!!!!!
:crybaby:
At least the guy had the integrity to come to Australia twice before knowing full well the Umps :pokey: were going to call him and the crowds were going to give him a hard time. Says a lot about character, than some others :arabia: :wallbash: who pull up with injuries when they fear :fear: they have to go to certain parts of the world where they may get called. He is also rightly concerned of the aussie media bandwagon :band: and the likes of Barry Jarman :mad2: who may turn up at the ground with his protractors :puke: to measure the angles. :laugh:

Last edited:

Scallywag

Banned
JASON said:
At least the guy had the integrity to come to Australia twice before knowing full well the Umps were going to call him and the crowds were going to give him a hard time. Says a lot about character, than some others who pull up with injuries when they fear they have to go to certain parts of the world where they may get called.
And thats where this whole issue turned into a circus, by not accepting the umpires decision and changing his actions to comply with the rules he decided to turn it into a racial issue and put cricket back 20 years. That doesnt take guts, reserve that title for the players who deserve it, what Murali did was selfish.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali :I will continue to bowl the doosra

Scallywag said:
And thats where this whole issue turned into a circus, by not accepting the umpires decision and changing his actions to comply with the rules he decided to turn it into a racial issue and put cricket back 20 years. That doesnt take guts, reserve that title for the players who deserve it, what Murali did was selfish.
I have never heard Murali or the Lankan cricket chaps call this a racial issue!!
I hope you are not trying to make it one. :cheers:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Scallywag said:
What a load of bull. 8-)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Scallywag said:

anzac

International Debutant
koch_cha said:

yep and now we get to the real crux of the matter - the Murali camp really don't give a damn about the rules - only that they are right in their own eyes & cricket must comply to their views.............

:disgust:

so what is the difference between Howard replying to a question as to whether he feels Murali chucks - all he did was state the facts as per the tests - the delivery is illegal = he chucks.............as compared the the SRL PM now going to sue the ICC if they ban Murali for the use of the illegal delivery??????

who is the real idiot????????????? :baby:

should the ICC ban SRL now because their PM has threatened to sue????

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
anzac said:
should the ICC ban SRL now because their PM has threatened to sue????
Well, the stupidity of international statesmen knows no bounds, so when you compare them to the ICC, they're perhaps in good company.

Isn't so much of it just playing to the crowd, saying what their supporters/constituents want to hear, buying votes, adding to their own notoriety, getting known, making sure they spell your name right etc?

It strikes me that Australia, Sri Lanka, the UK and the USA have one thing in common - they're all led by people who would fit in so well within the ICC.

anzac

International Debutant
JASON said:
At least the guy had the integrity to come to Australia twice before knowing full well the Umps :pokey: were going to call him and the crowds were going to give him a hard time. Says a lot about character, than some others :arabia: :wallbash: who pull up with injuries when they fear :fear: they have to go to certain parts of the world where they may get called. He is also rightly concerned of the aussie media bandwagon :band: and the likes of Barry Jarman :mad2: who may turn up at the ground with his protractors :puke: to measure the angles. :laugh:
fair enough................but that was then & this is now..........during the prior incidents I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.............but not any longer - there is NO doubt re the legality of his delivery action re the Doosra, nor any confusion as to what his obligations are or those of the SLCB etc........

if his general action wasn't so controversial in the first place then the likelyhood is that he wouldn't be under so much scrutiny, nor would he have been 'called' as often as he has......however let us not forget he has only been 'called' once for his general action, and twice subsequently re his 'wrong-un' (again understandable as it is virtually unheard of for an 'offie' to develop an effective 'wrong-un').........

what some seem to see as persecution or victimisation IMO is only the officials doing their job - and with this last incident Broad was right to report the action.............

his 'excuses' for continuing to use it during the 1st phase are **** weak and bull**** even if the ICC / SLCB had not 'told' him, as are his comments re Howard not knowing the facts etc & his threat not to Tour AUS.........IMO the fact that he has NOT used the delivery in the 2nd test now that he can be reported / called again shows that he is either thick as pig **** (which I find hard to believe) or the other alternative is that he is a cheating coward.........

so far as the crowd & press goes you get yobbos everywhere - Aussies are less worried by what people think of them & are not afraid to speak their minds in plain language (perhaps the reason why it was AUS umps involved in calling him in 2 out of 3 incidents).........hell as I've already said I'm prepared to go to the Test in Darwin and call him a cheat & heckle him everytime he bowls a ball - Doosra or not..............

with all this crap going on I no longer have ANY respect for him as a person or a player....................

and I can't see the OZ press as being any worse than Fleet Street..............

:ranting:

anzac

International Debutant
Scallywag said:
if you are referring to the current controversy then I agree with your assertion that Murali should have 'done the right thing' - but I don't get the racial issue unless you are implying it is such by virtue of AUS = white & SRL = black - but I'd still say that it's a fairly loooong stretch to get that one - rather it's more a simple case of 'us 'n them'...........

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Interesting observation.. but won't he just get fired randomly by that crazy president woman before then? :)