• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Gough vs Stuart Broad

Darren Gough or Stuart Broad

• Darren Gough

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Stuart Broad

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

ImpatientLime

International Regular
haha not comfortably at all.

gough for a start took his wickets away from home at 26.9. he took them at 22 in asia. 27 in australia. this is an area he completely trumps broad.

gough was a supremely gifted bowler who was unfortunate to spend the majority of his career carrying a **** england team.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

gough for a start took his wickets away from home at 26.9. he took them at 22 in asia. 27 in australia. this is an area he completely trumps broad.

gough was a supremely gifted bowler who was unfortunate to spend the majority of his career carrying a **** england team.
Gough was also a different style of bowler to Broad. Shorter, and therefore skiddier. Faster too, and more reliant on swing, including reverse swing from time to time.

Maybe Broad vs Caddick is a closer comparison. If so, I'd take Broad thanks.

Last edited:

Limited overs you'd be getting Gough to bowl over Broad at any stage of the innings. Test matches is closer. As you say England had a **** team, often had no scoreboard pressure (amongst other things). I'm going with Gough. I voted Gough. Another thing to mention - he is the best English yorker bowler I've ever seen.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year

Some lovely stats but he didn't have half the career Broad has.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Broad - was a **** but has become a reasonable human being - sadly the Dazzler made the journey in the opposite direction

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Would be relevant if they played in the same conditions against the same batting lineups.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
yes lad unless two bowlers have bowled on the exact same day to the exact same batsman in the exact same conditions then all comparisons are null and void and we should close this place down.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Some lovely stats but he didn't have half the career Broad has.
Indeed.

How many times has Broad hulked up and won us a match on his own with a demon spell? Countless.

The last three home Ashes series were won by such spells.

He’s blown cold at times, but he’s won us matches consistently over a long period of time and been part of one of Test Cricket’s best ever new ball partnerships.

I’m a big fan of Goughy, but for me this isn’t a question that needs much thought at all. We had some good players in the 90s, who were unfortunate to play then but as a result of that there’s long been a tendency to overstate them on here against contemporaries who didn’t have to suffer the same fate.

Anderson and Broad are the best seamers England have had in my life, Cook the best opener, Pietersen and Root the best middle order bats etc. You can list good players - some very good like Gough, or Thorpe but the reality is they aren’t as good as the examples I’ve just listed. Maybe if they played in this central contract era they could have been. They didn’t and they weren’t.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Contemporary bowlers are better than a pure stat comparison may indicate.

Broad >> Gough
Broad > Hoggard

That said

McGrath >> Anderson

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed.

How many times has Broad hulked up and won us a match on his own with a demon spell? Countless.

The last three home Ashes series were won by such spells.

He’s blown cold at times, but he’s won us matches consistently over a long period of time and been part of one of Test Cricket’s best ever new ball partnerships.

I’m a big fan of Goughy, but for me this isn’t a question that needs much thought at all. We had some good players in the 90s, who were unfortunate to play then but as a result of that there’s long been a tendency to overstate them on here against contemporaries who didn’t have to suffer the same fate.

Anderson and Broad are the best seamers England have had in my life, Cook the best opener, Pietersen and Root the best middle order bats etc. You can list good players - some very good like Gough, or Thorpe but the reality is they aren’t as good as the examples I’ve just listed. Maybe if they played in this central contract era they could have been. They didn’t and they weren’t.
You're right but Gough's action though :wub:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In terms of raw bowling ability I think they're kinda comparable (my impression of Gough was that he could bowl killer spells too, it's just that he was playing for a ****tier team so they didn't count for as much as what it should've), but Broad has had the better career. Did it for longer and in general seems more reliable.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gough more consistent and played in a weaker attack. Broad with greater highs and lows, the highs translating into wins both because of his performance and the superior performance of his teammates.