• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson vs Glenn McGrath - Similarities and differences

masterawais

Cricket Spectator
564 wickets. Let the enormity of that sink in. 2932 players have taken field in Test cricket, out of which 2165 players rolled their arms over (or under) once. Only four of those have reached the 564-wicket milestone, and none of the three who reached there before James Michael Anderson were fast bowlers. The Burnley Express castled Mohammed Shami in India's second innings to become the leading pace bowler in the 141-year-old history of Test cricket, going past Glenn McGrath's 563 wickets.

Anderson and McGrath have been as different as chalk and cheese in their modus operandi but yet one can spot a few inevitable similarities between the two. McGrath, tall and lanky, consistently hit the ball on the good length and extracted movement off the seam for his wickets. MyCricketHighlights Being 6'5" tall, he could get that ball to bounce steep off a good length. Anderson, on the other hand, started off predominantly as a swing bowler who often relied on the conditions favoring the ball to move in the air. But as he played more, he added various tricks to his repertoire and at the sunset of his career, he is regarded as one of the most complete bowlers ever to grace the game.

Anderson vs McGrath - Test career

Player Tests Wkts Avg SR 5-fers BBI BBM
James Anderson 143 564 26.84 55.8 26 7/43 11/71
Glenn McGrath 124 563 21.64 51.9 29 8/24 10/27

McGrath made his debut in the home summer of 1993/94 and had an indifferent start to his career before he travelled to the Caribbean in 1995. As fate would have it, Australia's spearhead Craig McDermott got injured before the series and McGrath was entrusted to lead the pace battery. He led the attack from the front, taking 24 first-class wickets during the entire tour, 17 of which came in the four Tests. The baton of Australia pace bowling that was passed on from Ray Lindwall to Graham McKenzie to Dennis Lillee to McDermott, was handed over to McGrath, who would then carry it for the next dozen years with distinction.

Anderson hit the road running with a five-fer on debut at Lord's but found himself in and out of the side for the better part of next five years as the likes of Steve Harmison, Matthew Hoggard and Simon Jones were preferred over him. His big break came in the summer of 2008 when he picked seven for 43 against New Zealand in the series decider at Trent Bridge. He finished as the highest wicket taker in the second leg of that home summer in the series against South Africa and there was no looking back from then on. 114 Tests and 10 summers later, Anderson still runs in hard as ever and leads the attack from the front as the captain's go-to bowler in crunch situations. Report by Cricket Highlights

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
564 wickets. Let the enormity of that sink in. 2932 players have taken field in Test cricket, out of which 2165 players rolled their arms over (or under) once. Only four of those have reached the 564-wicket milestone, and none of the three who reached there before James Michael Anderson were fast bowlers. The Burnley Express castled Mohammed Shami in India's second innings to become the leading pace bowler in the 141-year-old history of Test cricket, going past Glenn McGrath's 563 wickets.

Anderson and McGrath have been as different as chalk and cheese in their modus operandi but yet one can spot a few inevitable similarities between the two. McGrath, tall and lanky, consistently hit the ball on the good length and extracted movement off the seam for his wickets. MyCricketHighlights Being 6'5" tall, he could get that ball to bounce steep off a good length. Anderson, on the other hand, started off predominantly as a swing bowler who often relied on the conditions favoring the ball to move in the air. But as he played more, he added various tricks to his repertoire and at the sunset of his career, he is regarded as one of the most complete bowlers ever to grace the game.

Anderson vs McGrath - Test career

Player Tests Wkts Avg SR 5-fers BBI BBM
James Anderson 143 564 26.84 55.8 26 7/43 11/71
Glenn McGrath 124 563 21.64 51.9 29 8/24 10/27

McGrath made his debut in the home summer of 1993/94 and had an indifferent start to his career before he travelled to the Caribbean in 1995. As fate would have it, Australia's spearhead Craig McDermott got injured before the series and McGrath was entrusted to lead the pace battery. He led the attack from the front, taking 24 first-class wickets during the entire tour, 17 of which came in the four Tests. The baton of Australia pace bowling that was passed on from Ray Lindwall to Graham McKenzie to Dennis Lillee to McDermott, was handed over to McGrath, who would then carry it for the next dozen years with distinction.

Anderson hit the road running with a five-fer on debut at Lord's but found himself in and out of the side for the better part of next five years as the likes of Steve Harmison, Matthew Hoggard and Simon Jones were preferred over him. His big break came in the summer of 2008 when he picked seven for 43 against New Zealand in the series decider at Trent Bridge. He finished as the highest wicket taker in the second leg of that home summer in the series against South Africa and there was no looking back from then on. 114 Tests and 10 summers later, Anderson still runs in hard as ever and leads the attack from the front as the captain's go-to bowler in crunch situations. Report by Cricket Highlights
???

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Similarities - both were remarkably great towards the later stages of their careers.
Both had great success against Tendulkar though the great batsman was obviously on the wane when he faced Jimmy.

Both have shown excellent durability, Jimmy more so.

Both are ****s.

Differences:

McGrath is obviously of far superior quality. Operated differently too. Far less condition reliant.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
You were 5 ffs.

Did you catch an add for it in the middle of a teletubbies episode?

Last edited:

trundler

Yes. I remember seeing the team colours on TV and not much more.

No one was watching Teletubbies in 2007 ffs. That's ancient.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember the Sydney Olympics happening, sometime before my third birthday. As for any details, well those have generally escaped me.

[FONT=Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Did you catch an add for it in the middle of a teletubbies episode?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Ah Teletubbies. The good old days. When I was actually happy.[/FONT]

Last edited:

trundler

The 2007 world cup is the earliest sporting event I can recall, followed by the 2008 WT20 final loss. Followed the 09' and 11' events closely. I remember throwing away my Pakistani team jersey in despair after the semi final loss.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
teenage phlegm watched the 2007 world cup religiously. he was even dumber than he is today, what with staying up all night watching the entire super eight match against australia (nz got nailed) the night/morning before a 20km run.

finished the run.

McGrath had bowlers like Warne to bowl in tandem with. Very helpful in turning conditions, dead wickets and so on. McGrath played in a dominant side. Ihe comparison is harder than it first seems. My heart tells me McGrath is superior regardless of the variables. McGrath was a bowling machine.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've actually long compared the two.

People still have this perception of Anderson as this swing bowler who runs through teams in helpful conditions and takes wickets in clumps when he's been a McGrath-esque miser for years now. Both bowlers ruthlessly examined your technique whilst giving you absolutely **** all to score off.

Anderson's economy rate over the last 3 or 4 years has been ridiculously low.

McGrath is still the greatest of all, but this comparison isn't as bat**** as it first appears.

Groundking

International Debutant

People still have this perception of Anderson as this swing bowler who runs through teams in helpful conditions and takes wickets in clumps when he's been a McGrath-esque miser for years now. Both bowlers ruthlessly examined your technique whilst giving you absolutely **** all to score off.

McGrath is still the greatest of all, but this comparison isn't as bat**** as it first appears.
Since 2014 Anderson's econmoy rate has been 2.49, which incidentily is exactly McGrath's career economy rate....

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain

B.PNG A.PNG

Interesting graphs I've attached, dont think anyone is saying he is better than McGrath but they show he is just guilty of being thrown into the team too early when he was not ready. ATG stats for a while now, and has improved away a lot since the earlier days as well

Last edited: