cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: James Anderson vs Glenn McGrath - Similarities and differences

Cricket Spectator

Icon3 James Anderson vs Glenn McGrath - Similarities and differences

564 wickets. Let the enormity of that sink in. 2932 players have taken field in Test cricket, out of which 2165 players rolled their arms over (or under) once. Only four of those have reached the 564-wicket milestone, and none of the three who reached there before James Michael Anderson were fast bowlers. The Burnley Express castled Mohammed Shami in India's second innings to become the leading pace bowler in the 141-year-old history of Test cricket, going past Glenn McGrath's 563 wickets.

Anderson and McGrath have been as different as chalk and cheese in their modus operandi but yet one can spot a few inevitable similarities between the two. McGrath, tall and lanky, consistently hit the ball on the good length and extracted movement off the seam for his wickets. MyCricketHighlights Being 6'5" tall, he could get that ball to bounce steep off a good length. Anderson, on the other hand, started off predominantly as a swing bowler who often relied on the conditions favoring the ball to move in the air. But as he played more, he added various tricks to his repertoire and at the sunset of his career, he is regarded as one of the most complete bowlers ever to grace the game.

Anderson vs McGrath - Test career

Player Tests Wkts Avg SR 5-fers BBI BBM
    James Anderson 143 564 26.84 55.8 26 7/43 11/71
    Glenn McGrath 124 563 21.64 51.9 29 8/24 10/27

McGrath made his debut in the home summer of 1993/94 and had an indifferent start to his career before he travelled to the Caribbean in 1995. As fate would have it, Australia's spearhead Craig McDermott got injured before the series and McGrath was entrusted to lead the pace battery. He led the attack from the front, taking 24 first-class wickets during the entire tour, 17 of which came in the four Tests. The baton of Australia pace bowling that was passed on from Ray Lindwall to Graham McKenzie to Dennis Lillee to McDermott, was handed over to McGrath, who would then carry it for the next dozen years with distinction.

Anderson hit the road running with a five-fer on debut at Lord's but found himself in and out of the side for the better part of next five years as the likes of Steve Harmison, Matthew Hoggard and Simon Jones were preferred over him. His big break came in the summer of 2008 when he picked seven for 43 against New Zealand in the series decider at Trent Bridge. He finished as the highest wicket taker in the second leg of that home summer in the series against South Africa and there was no looking back from then on. 114 Tests and 10 summers later, Anderson still runs in hard as ever and leads the attack from the front as the captain's go-to bowler in crunch situations. Report by Cricket Highlights

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Differences? One can bowl on sunny days.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Quote Originally Posted by masterawais View Post
    564 wickets. Let the enormity of that sink in. 2932 players have taken field in Test cricket, out of which 2165 players rolled their arms over (or under) once. Only four of those have reached the 564-wicket milestone, and none of the three who reached there before James Michael Anderson were fast bowlers. The Burnley Express castled Mohammed Shami in India's second innings to become the leading pace bowler in the 141-year-old history of Test cricket, going past Glenn McGrath's 563 wickets.

Anderson and McGrath have been as different as chalk and cheese in their modus operandi but yet one can spot a few inevitable similarities between the two. McGrath, tall and lanky, consistently hit the ball on the good length and extracted movement off the seam for his wickets. MyCricketHighlights Being 6'5" tall, he could get that ball to bounce steep off a good length. Anderson, on the other hand, started off predominantly as a swing bowler who often relied on the conditions favoring the ball to move in the air. But as he played more, he added various tricks to his repertoire and at the sunset of his career, he is regarded as one of the most complete bowlers ever to grace the game.

Anderson vs McGrath - Test career

Player Tests Wkts Avg SR 5-fers BBI BBM
    James Anderson 143 564 26.84 55.8 26 7/43 11/71
    Glenn McGrath 124 563 21.64 51.9 29 8/24 10/27

McGrath made his debut in the home summer of 1993/94 and had an indifferent start to his career before he travelled to the Caribbean in 1995. As fate would have it, Australia's spearhead Craig McDermott got injured before the series and McGrath was entrusted to lead the pace battery. He led the attack from the front, taking 24 first-class wickets during the entire tour, 17 of which came in the four Tests. The baton of Australia pace bowling that was passed on from Ray Lindwall to Graham McKenzie to Dennis Lillee to McDermott, was handed over to McGrath, who would then carry it for the next dozen years with distinction.

Anderson hit the road running with a five-fer on debut at Lord's but found himself in and out of the side for the better part of next five years as the likes of Steve Harmison, Matthew Hoggard and Simon Jones were preferred over him. His big break came in the summer of 2008 when he picked seven for 43 against New Zealand in the series decider at Trent Bridge. He finished as the highest wicket taker in the second leg of that home summer in the series against South Africa and there was no looking back from then on. 114 Tests and 10 summers later, Anderson still runs in hard as ever and leads the attack from the front as the captain's go-to bowler in crunch situations. Report by Cricket Highlights
    ???
    trundler and Member Berry like this.
    ATG Test XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. S.R Tendulkar 5. W.R Hammond 6. G.S Sobers 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.J Procter 9. M.D Marshall 10. S.K Warne 11. G.D McGrath

trundler, Shri and Athlai like this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

International Debutant trundler's Avatar
    Similarities - both were remarkably great towards the later stages of their careers.
    Both had great success against Tendulkar though the great batsman was obviously on the wane when he faced Jimmy.

Both have shown excellent durability, Jimmy more so.

Both are ****s.

Differences:

McGrath is obviously of far superior quality. Operated differently too. Far less condition reliant.
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Differences : trundlers seen Anderson bowl live.
    OverratedSanity likes this.
    You flew out to India
    When your country needed you
    Century on debut ,
    What a find.....

Na na na na na na na na na

Ali Ali Cook , Ali Cook , Ali Ali Cook

Na na na na na na na na na

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDpy9JPZH3E

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Differences : trundlers seen Anderson bowl live.
    I vaguely remember the 07' WC.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    You were 5 ffs.

Did you catch an add for it in the middle of a teletubbies episode?
    Last edited by Adders; 12-09-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Yes. I remember seeing the team colours on TV and not much more.

No one was watching Teletubbies in 2007 ffs. That's ancient.
    Last edited by trundler; 12-09-2018 at 04:47 AM.

Cricketer Of The Year Starfighter's Avatar
    I remember the Sydney Olympics happening, sometime before my third birthday. As for any details, well those have generally escaped me.

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Did you catch an add for it in the middle of a teletubbies episode?

Ah Teletubbies. The good old days. When I was actually happy.
    Last edited by Starfighter; 12-09-2018 at 04:50 AM.
    Flem274* likes this.

The 2007 world cup is the earliest sporting event I can recall, followed by the 2008 WT20 final loss. Followed the 09' and 11' events closely. I remember throwing away my Pakistani team jersey in despair after the semi final loss.
    Last edited by trundler; 12-09-2018 at 04:55 AM.

International Regular SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    ^^ there was no T20 WC in 2008

Whenever that scoop thing happened. Was a big deal. Don't remember anything else.

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    Ah Teletubbies. The good old days. When I was actually happy
    I was going to laugh but then wasn't sure if I should offer my support instead?

you're a cool person Starfighter and you will always have an online friend in me
    Starfighter likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    teenage phlegm watched the 2007 world cup religiously. he was even dumber than he is today, what with staying up all night watching the entire super eight match against australia (nz got nailed) the night/morning before a 20km run.

finished the run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I need u like Henry Nicholls needs batting school
    He was terrible in that series
    I need u like Ross Taylor needed to be fit
    He's way better than Henry Nicholls
    And now all I can think about is your smile
    and that ****** test series too
    Losing to Australia sucked and I miss you
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast