• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson vs Glenn McGrath - Similarities and differences

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There is zero ****ing doubt that McGrath is a significantly better pace bowler than Anderson. That's not to belittle Anderson, who's been very good, but McGrath is the absolute cream of the crop.

The disappointing part of this is that Anderson now goes to the top of the pace bowler's wickets table, which to some makes him appear the greatest of all time. Similar to how Walsh sat there pre McGrath. Walsh was never better than most of his contemporaries, he was very good nonetheless, and incredibly durable, but never as good as Ambrose or Marshall.

The differences between Anderson and McGrath are that Anderson doesn't belong in the absolute elite category of quicks, the category that contains: McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee, Imran, Wasim, Ambrose, Trueman, Waqar, Holding, Garner, Roberts, Lillee.

The similarities are that they both took a hell of a lot of test wickets and were exceptionally durable performers over a long period of time.

Slifer

International Captain
Similarities?? They are both white and are pace bowlers?? Yup that's pretty much it. McGrath is an atg and Anderson not.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The comparison is simple really, one of them is the top fast bowling wicket taker of all-time and the other is best known for being so clumsy that he trod on a cricket ball.

Oh Jimmy Jimmy

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I see the discourse around Jimmy is still mired in 2009.
Well it was in 2010, 2017, and all years in between so I’m not sure why you’d expect anything different in 2018?

There was a thread recently where someone actually suggested Starc gets ahead of him in a team of the 2010s, and they weren’t joking.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well it was in 2010, 2017, and all years in between so I’m not sure why you’d expect anything different in 2018?

There was a thread recently where someone actually suggested Starc gets ahead of him in a team of the 2010s, and they weren’t joking.
Starc in form, like Johnson in form, is the best bowler in the world. A total unstoppable juggernaut. Shouldn't be ahead of Anderson though

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
There is zero ****ing doubt that McGrath is a significantly better pace bowler than Anderson. That's not to belittle Anderson, who's been very good, but McGrath is the absolute cream of the crop.

The disappointing part of this is that Anderson now goes to the top of the pace bowler's wickets table, which to some makes him appear the greatest of all time. Similar to how Walsh sat there pre McGrath. Walsh was never better than most of his contemporaries, he was very good nonetheless, and incredibly durable, but never as good as Ambrose or Marshall.

The differences between Anderson and McGrath are that Anderson doesn't belong in the absolute elite category of quicks, the category that contains: McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee, Imran, Wasim, Ambrose, Trueman, Waqar, Holding, Garner, Roberts, Lillee.

The similarities are that they both took a hell of a lot of test wickets and were exceptionally durable performers over a long period of time.
Well thank you Captain Obvious.

I don't think anyone (apart from maybe the OP) thinks this is a realistic comparison......and posts like GIMHs are clearly a wind up......and i love it too ftr, because every ****er that has dissed Jimmy over the last 5 years deserves it and a slap.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well thank you Captain Obvious.

I don't think anyone (apart from maybe the OP) thinks this is a realistic comparison......and posts like GIMHs are clearly a wind up......and i love it too ftr, because every ****er that has dissed Jimmy over the last 5 years deserves it and a slap.
No it was Cummins :laugh:

TheJediBrah

i love how mad anderson makes people
There's been a few articles on Cricket Australia's facebook about Anderson nearing/getting the record and the comments are pretty much just angry Australians ranting about how he isn't as good as McGrath. Not that any of the articles actually implies that he was mind you.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
There's been a few articles on Cricket Australia's facebook about Anderson nearing/getting the record and the comments are pretty much just angry Australians ranting about how he isn't as good as McGrath. Not that any of the articles actually implies that he was mind you.
I’m sure the same would’ve happened if Cook overtook Tendulkar.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
If I was looking at a bowler with a similar career trajectory and style to Anderson, it would be Richard Hadlee.

I think it’s easily forgotten how long Hadlee took to become the outstanding Test bowler he is famed for; it was 7 years into his international career before his Test bowling average was under 30. Similarily, 7 years into Anderson’s Test career his average was still hovering near the mid-30s.

It seemed that as their pace declined, they both became better bowlers as they became masters of utilising swing and pitches which had a bit in them. And even on the occasions where they didn’t take many wickets, they were both often miserly and able to keep the runs down.

Statistically Hadlee has comfortably the better record but Anderson’s bowling average keeps declining so if he maintains fitness it could even go lower; could see him running through Australian batting lineups next year if the pitches/conditions are similar to this Indian series.

TheJediBrah

I’m sure the same would’ve happened if Cook overtook Tendulkar.
If Cricket Australia facebook comments are anything to go by that would have been even worse. About 75% of comments are from nonsensical Indians. Usually hating on Pakistan. On Cricket Australia's facebook page . . .

Flem274*

123/5

lol only to nerds who are obbsessive with the best having every number in their favour. anderson has played 160 million tests and been excellent, not great, so he gets the record. boo hoo.

they were comparing their attack of glass constructed 4 test veterans to the 80s windies last ashes. you need to expect this from overexcited australians still in withdrawal from 2001
Starc in form, like Johnson in form, is the best bowler in the world. A total unstoppable juggernaut.
in odis

flibbertyjibber

The only thing they have which is similar is they both played a ridiculous amount of games for a fast bowler and both took an enormous amount of wickets. The similarities end there. McGrath was probably the greatest line and length bowler in the history of the game who exploited any weakness in technique and gave numerous batsmen worldwide nightmares. Jimmy is one of the best exponents of swing that there has ever been, what a great combination they would have been had they opened an attack together when at their peaks.