• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Squad to face Pakistan

Australia squad:

Tim Paine (capt, wk), Ashton Agar, Brendan Doggett, Aaron Finch, Travis Head, Jon Holland, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Michael Neser, Matthew Renshaw, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc

Out: Joe Burns, Glenn Maxwell, Peter Handscomb, Jhye Richardson

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with Ponting here, though objectively it is good to see Victorians getting screwed over in general. That's what makes Siddle's recall so much harder to take.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd take Victorians in our team over Western Australians and Queenslanders any day.

Ricky Ponting said:
“They didn’t pick him on that Australia A tour and they’ve said they’ve seen him play enough in those conditions and knew what he could do. But if you think about it now, that must have actually meant they weren’t going to pick him at all. He didn’t even come into calculations for that Test tour.
Good to see me and Ponting having the same opinion.

Last edited:

social

Potential to do an adequate job at test level for a reasonable amount of time: Uzi, Lyon, Renshaw & Starc

Jury is out on Agar but I suspect that we'll see continued improvement as he's undoubtedly talented and relatively young

Have to dramatically improve on career performances at either fc or test level: MMarsh, Head & Finch

Totally unproven at basically any level: Doggett, Neser & Labu

Making up the numbers are Paine, Siddle, Holland (might be unfair but I suspect that Agar will generally be preferred) & SMarsh

Good times

Fortunately, the team can be readily improved with the return of Smith, Cummins & Haze but it wouldn't surprise me if Warner has had his cards marked

Desperately need a wk/batsman and a captain worth his place in the team to come through plus continued development of guys like Doran

A selection panel with a ****ing clue would be handy as well

Gnske

Not too unpleasant odds on Marsh becoming the next captain before Smith and Warner return imo.

social

Not too unpleasant odds on Marsh becoming the next captain before Smith and Warner return imo.
The trouble with Marsh is his lack of performances

Averaging 27 is simply not acceptable when you're not really contributing anything with the ball

Starfighter

I'll be interested to see how MMarsh goes when not batting against a toothless attack on near-perfect batting pitches.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not optimistic on MMarsh, tend to think his Ashes success was as much down to the toothless English attack than his own batting. Broad was especially insipid in Perth, more pies than a bakery

stephen

I think Uzi should be next in line for the captaincy. After all he's done well as Queensland's captain and is the closest we have to a certain pick.

morgieb

I'll be interested to see how MMarsh goes when not batting against a toothless attack on near-perfect batting pitches.
I actually think he'll do OK here. UAE pitches aren't that bowler-friendly and he's fared OK in Asia before.

England will be a huge stretch though. Shame about the timing of his injury, a season in county cricket could've worked wonders for him.

TheJediBrah

Finch should be captain. In all formats.

Only good thing CA have done was picking him. He better ****ing play.

Just can't fathom their actions at all. First the Smith/Warner bans, then this Maxwell non-selection, it's like they're trying to kill cricket in Australia. Leave out the most popular (and one of the best) player isagreat way to alienate your audience. Wouldn't surprise me if they'd been secretly infiltrated by Baseball Australia or some competitor for cricket to run it into the ground.

Gnske

Speaking of which, the programming overhaul for cricket on tv couldn't come at a worse time. The ratings with everything moved and split between Fox and 7 will be interesting.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's fairly obvious. They're trying to pick the worst team possible for a flogging. The public will be crying out for Warner and Smith to be returned