• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair enough. Personally I wish he would forget the gloves entirely and focus exclusively on his batting, but obviously Tasmania see it differently
I think he pretty much has. If I were him I'd still be holding on the keeping though as it's going to make him 1000000x more employable for national duties. If he strings together a Shield season or 2 averaging 40-45 and happens to be keeping decently as well it will be pretty hard to look past him for a Test spot, as keeper.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm hoping the selectors see reason and go with Paine in tests, Wade in ODIs and Carey in T20s. All three players are clearly the best picks in those formats.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Think Dunk was ahead of him too wasn't he?

It really is crazy how Paine came back from oblivion like that.

TheJediBrah

I'm hoping the selectors see reason and go with Paine in tests, Wade in ODIs and Carey in T20s. All three players are clearly the best picks in those formats.
I've really gone off Carey now that I've realised he's not even that young. I'd prefer Wade in T20s and ODIs tbh.

Think Dunk was ahead of him too wasn't he?

It really is crazy how Paine came back from oblivion like that.
Probably Ben McDermott too. Paine was likely 5th in line for the Tassie gloves.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Wade really has gotten the rough end of the stick in recent times. Should have been the #1 'keeper for Australia in limited overs cricket for the past 5 years or so.

stephen

Wade really has gotten the rough end of the stick in recent times. Should have been the #1 'keeper for Australia in limited overs cricket for the past 5 years or so.
Mostly agreed. People roughly called for his head in tests but he's been a very good performer in the limited overs stuff for ages now.

social

Pretty sure that Paine was not only overlooked for selection in a Tassie futures league team but had decided to retire and move to Melbourne

Came from further back than Kiwi

TheJediBrah

Ikr, it was just the season before he made a brilliant ODI 100 from no. 7

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
There seemed to be an unfair perception that he's inferior with the gloves. The Aussie selectors then proceeded to blow the dust off of Tasmania's #4 'keeper and grant him the captaincy...

If Wade is inferior with the gloves, then it's fine to leave him out of the Test team, but his continued hiring & firing from the ODI side always struck me as nonsensical.

TheJediBrah

Paine's selection for the Tests was warranted. Wade was having a shocker of the time with bat and gloves in Tests. But the selectors seemed to just bunch in the ODI keeping job with the Test job as if it's the same thing and all of a sudden Paine is the ODI keeper too . . . how did that even happen

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
His seniority may have played a part in that I suppose. I guess, sans Smith & Warner, much like the Test team, the ODI side was also a bit light on captaincy options. The selectors seemed to not want to persist with Finch as skip.

Can't see Paine lasting until the CWC next year, gotta say.

TheJediBrah

His seniority may have played a part in that I suppose. I guess, sans Smith & Warner, much like the Test team, the ODI side was also a bit light on captaincy options. The selectors seemed to not want to persist with Finch as skip.

Can't see Paine lasting until the CWC next year, gotta say.
He was selected ahead of Wade for the England series back in January though, so that wasn't a factor, at least initially

and as far as him lasting, no way, he's gone already from the ODI side IMO.

stephen

He was selected ahead of Wade for the England series back in January though, so that wasn't a factor, at least initially

and as far as him lasting, no way, he's gone already from the ODI side IMO.
Only if the selectors were rational, which they're not.

Hohns seems to be making up for years of persisting with NSW players during Aus' glory years by picking QLD and Vic players who don't deserve it and not picking ones that do.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there anything in particular that Sidds said there which came off as ****ish? Seems to me he was just talking about bringing his experience to the team, which is a bit light in that regard currently.

TheJediBrah

He's a weird one. Seems like a genuinely cool and friendly guy, hard working, team player etc. But then he has had this inexplicably high opinion of his relative cricketing abilities over the last few years, always talks in the media as if he's the main fast bowler in Australia and only out of the team for injury reasons or something, even though he's probably not even in the top 20 quicks in the country. He thought he was basically a lock for this UAE tour which was absurd (equally absurd that he was actually picked)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Admittedly though there was a point in his career where he was the go-to quick in the Aussie team. If that kind of stuff went to his head after a while then I guess I can see why reading about this kinda stuff would be grating.