• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

Spark

Global Moderator
As annoying as the "selecting unproven kids on potential" is, I don't mind it if it's like only 1 player in the squad, and the rest have all earned their spots through performance. Burns' selection sort of balances out Pucovski's
Yeah the big problem with the selecting unproven kids on potential thing before was that they were selecting unproven kids on potential... when they were averaging, like, 30, with one 50+ score in two years. Pucovski at least has done nothing wrong in his time at Shield level.

Having said that, I'd still prefer Patterson.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The other thing about the squad is that there's no token all-rounder (assuming they aren't still dumb enough to consider Labiashagknees an all-rounder). Which I take as a good sign.

FBU

International Debutant
Joe Burns will get lots of practice with Lancs before the Ashes. 9 or 10 matches. Any others?

howardj

International Coach
I'm sceptical of the selection but "if you take out all his good scores, his record is bad" is not and will never be a valid mode of analysis
I agree with that when the body of work is significant but it's only 7 matches in this case

For what it's worth, I think and hope he'll be a champion

morgieb

Joe Burns will get lots of practice with Lancs before the Ashes. 9 or 10 matches. Any others?
Bancroft, Shaun Marsh, Ferguson. And Siddle as a bowler.

Hopefully everyone in the frame at least asks the question about a county gig pre-Ashes.

howardj

International Coach
As I understand it, the World Cup and Ashes squads will be announced around the same time

Australian Ashes guys who do not make the WC squad will be in England playing for Australia A against various local sides (probably not full-strength County sides though)

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't hate Siddle as much in English conditions, since he averaged about 15 last County season.

Not that I have any reason to know that stat :ph34r:

howardj

International Coach
Siddle pitches it up more than our current pacers, and I think that will give him a better chance in the UK

Most of you would have read Vaughan's piece the other day when he said that Australia - rather than trying to blast England bats out in 2019 - will need to pitch it up and rely on skill

aussie tragic

International Captain
Holy crap, I just realised that the 7 batsmen in the squad only have 77 Tests between them

Note: S&M Marsh have 69 between them

morgieb

I don't hate Siddle as much in English conditions, since he averaged about 15 last County season.

Not that I have any reason to know that stat :ph34r:
It's worth noting one of the few times he looked genuinely dangerous at Test level in the last few years was the last Test in England when we last went over there.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Siddle, Pattinson, and Tremain

Two of those guys will make the Ashes, if there's not room for all three

howardj

International Coach
Needs a few more wickets when the Shield recommences though

He was a bit down on this front in the first half of the Shield season

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Renshaw Harris Khawaja Burns Head Pucovski is my top 6 with the squad announced.

Leader of the attack P. Siddle to aim for his second Test hattrick at the GABBA. Makes sense to pick the only quick in our ODI and Test squads for the day nighter in Brisbane.