• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

howardj

International Coach
Isn't that the kind of thinking people have been raging about re. selections? "He looks good at the crease" rather than "he makes runs and is actually good"

Renners!

No change to the bowling is a bit of a surprise, but I don't mind it.

My 11 would be:

Harris
Renshaw
Khawaja
Burns
Head
Pucovski
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Labuschagne will almost certainly play though which sucks
I would rather Marnus L than Head

Give the locals what they want...four Banana-Benders in the top six!!!!!!!!!

This is heaven....Qld Mafia

howardj

International Coach
It's a celebration of all things Queensland over the Australia Day long weekend at the Gabba

Join us to celebrate this great State!

howardj

International Coach
Cricket Australia XI squad: Joe Burns, Kurtis Patterson (vc), Scott Boland, Jake Doran, Jon Holland, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Will Pucovski, Jason Sangha, Matt Renshaw, Chris Tremain.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I didn't know Langer moved to Qld lol. No WA but 4 Qldrs on the side :)

As they should be, I'd say Harris, Head and Khawaja are locks as other 4 batsmen are to fight it out in the CA XI

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You just know this Sangha muppet is gonna go on the Ashes tour. What a ****ing joke. You’ve got these blokes who are in or around the test side playing, and this kid with one lucky FC ton to his name gets a game as well.

Rails run. Been anointed, will play by next season and be cod ordinary for 10-15 years. The millennial Shaun Marsh.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Edwards and Sangha have a combined average 17 in the Shield this year if you strip out their century

Pucovski has a FC average of 28 if you take out his 240

Still, I hope he does well, and also has another FC tonne to his name

Burgey

Here's a stat for you - Before Edwards was picked to play for NSW this season, he had never batted for more than 100 balls in his career. Let that sink in.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Edwards and Sangha have a combined average 17 in the Shield this year if you strip out their century

Pucovski has a FC average of 28 if you take out his 240

Still, I hope he does well, and also has another FC tonne to his name
He has two centuries and a half century in 6 matches. And he faced a large amount of deliveries too

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm sceptical of the selection but "if you take out all his good scores, his record is bad" is not and will never be a valid mode of analysis

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sceptical of the selection but "if you take out all his good scores, his record is bad" is not and will never be a valid mode of analysis
Way too early for him

Honestly, aside from Siddle, they’re decent squads. Does that finally mean no more Marshes ?

Spark

Global Moderator
Way too early for him

Honestly, aside from Siddle, they’re decent squads. Does that finally mean no more Marshes ?
Yeah it's too early, but it's too early in a way that leaves open the possibility that it could work really well. Certainly it's a long-term pick that is more justifiable than similar picks they've made of late, as he's actually scored some runs.

Would pick Patterson, Richardson and Boland instead of Labuschagne and Siddle myself but otherwise it's fine

TheJediBrah

As annoying as the "selecting unproven kids on potential" is, I don't mind it if it's like only 1 player in the squad, and the rest have all earned their spots through performance. Burns' selection sort of balances out Pucovski's

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it's too early, but it's too early in a way that leaves open the possibility that it could work really well. Certainly it's a long-term pick that is more justifiable than similar picks they've made of late, as he's actually scored some runs.

Would pick Patterson, Richardson and Boland instead of Labuschagne and Siddle myself but otherwise it's fine
If anything he’ll get some proper red ball cricket instead of sitting around playing club until shield starts again