• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

howardj

International Coach
The Australian is now reporting:

Selectors have gone hard on Queensland options with Joe Burns and Matthew Renshaw set to be named in squads this afternoon ahead of the Sri Lanka Test series.

Will Pucovski, the 20-year-old Victorian batsman with just six first class games, is also set to get a chance to parade his skills. The batsman made a double century at the WACA for Victoria earlier this year.

Marnus Labuschagne has retained his place but it looks like the end for Shaun and Mitch Marsh with strong suggestions Marcus Stoinis is coming in as the all rounder.

Squads (the CA XI and the Test team) will be named at 3:30pm Sydney time today

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well I'm glad Burns and Renshaw get a chance. I know Renshaw's been batting with a stump recently but he's one of the only batsmen outside of the Big 3 I have any confidence in scoring runs for the Ashes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
"named in squads this afternoon"

Some of these guys are going to be in the CAXI rather than the Test squad IMO, and I don't think the media actually have any idea which ones yet.

howardj

International Coach
"named in squads this afternoon"

Some of these guys are going to be in the CAXI rather than the Test squad IMO, and I don't think the media actually have any idea which ones yet.
Yes, I Renshaw is more likely for the CA XI

Puckovski is in the Test team

Burns not sure

howardj

International Coach
Courier Mail reporting that Burns and Puckovski are in

Marsh, Marsh, and Handscombe are out

Stoinis likely

aussie tragic

International Captain
Smh says Pucovski and Labushagne will be in both squads which sound great. Give them some pink ball experience as well as see how they perform before final XI named

TheJediBrah

Wow just heard about Pucovski. Doesn't sound clever picking a guy who had to take a month's mental health leave from the game a month ago, for Tests.

Also surprising that the rumour is Handscomb getting dropped, after selection in the ODI team, especially if Labuschagne is staying in the Test squad. Selections just seem a bit all over the place.

No Marshes is a huge step in the right direction though.

howardj

International Coach
Handscombe might be in the same boat as Callum Ferguson was after his lone Test in Hobart

That is, the selectors have decided to re-program/ re-boot

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why do our selectors insist upon naming squads so early?

No reason whatsoever that they shouldn't have a look at some players in odis and CAXI game before making a decision

Reeks of panic

TheJediBrah

Handscombe might be in the same boat as Callum Ferguson was after his lone Test in Hobart

That is, the selectors have decided to re-program/ re-boot
But then pick him for the ODIs?

I'd much rather Handscomb than Head or Labuscahgne. With the banned players out Handscomb should be just about the 2nd picked batsman (or 3rd after Maxwell)

Spark

Global Moderator
Really think at least one other bowler should have been added (two, preferably, instead of Siddle).

But then pick him for the ODIs?

I'd much rather Handscomb than Head or Labuscahgne. With the banned players out Handscomb should be just about the 2nd picked batsman (or 3rd after Maxwell)
Controversial but I agree

howardj

International Coach
I didn't agree on his selection for Sydney (especially at 3, no less!!) but I rather liked the cut of Marnus L's jib

Thought he looked at home

howardj

International Coach
Australia squad for first Test against Sri Lanka:

Tim Paine (c/wk), Josh Hazlewood (vc), Joe Burns, Pat Cummins, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Will Pucovski, Matt Renshaw, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle

TheJediBrah

I didn't agree on his selection for Sydney (especially at 3, no less!!) but I rather liked the cut of Marnus L's jib

Thought he looked at home
Isn't that the kind of thinking people have been raging about re. selections? "He looks good at the crease" rather than "he makes runs and is actually good"

Australia squad for first Test against Sri Lanka:

Tim Paine (c/wk), Josh Hazlewood (vc), Joe Burns, Pat Cummins, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Will Pucovski, Matt Renshaw, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle
Renners!

No change to the bowling is a bit of a surprise, but I don't mind it.

My 11 would be:

Harris
Renshaw
Khawaja
Burns
Head
Pucovski
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood