• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
False shot percentage doesn't mean much.
I think it's very interesting. It's no coincidence that it lines up pretty accurately with averages.

I was interested to see that Maxwell's was so low, I'd guess he'd be an outlier in that he had a higher false-shot percentage for his given average but if anything he has a lower false-shot %

SeamUp

International Coach
Whilst you can never over analyse with it I still think it is indication of the more you not specific in decision-making (defensively & attacking) surely the higher the risk of getting out. Also got to take into consideration home venues. But then the first graphic showing how much they are ahead of the match average also is interesting.

Cartwright's bowled % shows why his false shot % is high and the same for someone like S.Marsh who seems to get away with it more at this level shows why he struggles starting an innings at test level are so high.

Peter Handscomb though is interesting. Considering his technique how he gets away with it more at state level not making as many false shots.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Whilst you can never over analyse with it I still think it is indication of the more you not specific in decision-making (defensively & attacking) surely the higher the risk of getting out. Also got to take into consideration home venues. But then the first graphic showing how much they are ahead of the match average also is interesting.

Cartwright's bowled % shows why his false shot % is high and the same for someone like S.Marsh who seems to get away with it more at this level shows why he struggles starting an innings at test level are so high.

Peter Handscomb though is interesting. Considering his technique how he gets away with it more at state level not making as many false shots.
I think false shot % would be more interesting looking at smaller samples, like individual innings. Over time it's going to average out, but with individual innings it can give you a good idea of how much luck has gone a batsman's way.

I'm sure there's been blokes make 50 with a false-shot percentage of 30% or more (I've seen a lot of them!), then a guy make 35 with a false shot percentage of like 5%.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing is that you cam play false shots that are entirely safe, depending on where you're attacking. If there's a vacant mid wicket area, playing false shots on the leg side in front of square isn't going to hurt you much.

Looking over those lists the false shots vs average doesn't seem to correlate at all. Some players have low false shots and high averages and some have the opposite and some have low false shots and high averages.

It doesn't say much except perhaps how aggressive they are at that level.

And maybe Marsh's problem is that he's not aggressive enough in tests.

Burgey

I think it's very interesting. It's no coincidence that it lines up pretty accurately with averages.

I was interested to see that Maxwell's was so low, I'd guess he'd be an outlier in that he had a higher false-shot percentage for his given average but if anything he has a lower false-shot %
Maybe he just middles them straight to fielders. No false shot there, just standard rank stupidity.

howardj

International Coach
What time is the team announced?

Has to be one of the most open Test squads in years

Could be anybody filling the top 6

aussie tragic

International Captain
Has to be one of the most open Test squads in years

Could be anybody filling the top 6
I hope so but cant see it. S Marsh is the only one to change (if any given our selectors).

Harris and Head our best performed, Handscomb and Labushagme just called back and both at least made 35+, Khawaja still our most experienced and only one yo average 40+

howardj

International Coach
I hope so but cant see it. S Marsh is the only one to change (if any given our selectors).

Harris and Head our best performed, Handscomb and Labushagme just called back and both at least made 35+, Khawaja still our most experienced and only one yo average 40+
Excellent points.

Probably SMarsh out, Stoinis or Burns in.

howardj

International Coach
For SL

I would be-head Travis
And brush Handscombe

I know in fairness they probably deserve another chance, but I don't think they're Test material

But a weakness with this panel is they're not good at admitting they got it wrong

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Victorian talent Will Pucovski is set to gain a shock elevation to Australia's Test squad for the two-match series against Sri Lanka in a shake-up that is expected to included the axing of brothers Shaun and Mitchell Marsh as well as Aaron Finch.

The Age is reporting this

morgieb

Victorian talent Will Pucovski is set to gain a shock elevation to Australia's Test squad for the two-match series against Sri Lanka in a shake-up that is expected to included the axing of brothers Shaun and Mitchell Marsh as well as Aaron Finch.

The Age is reporting this
Yikes. I mean he is a talent and our options are pretty slim, but given all his concussion/mental health issues I can't see anyway in which he's ready for selection.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dropping Head could only possibly make sense to those who wouldn't have picked him in the first place.

He hasn't really done anything to change many opinions either way, but it just wouldn't make sense for the people who picked him in the first place to drop him now. He's been Australia's second leading run scorer since his debut, and was also Australia's second leading run scorer in the last series. I get that these are low bars to clear given how **** the batting has been but at the very least he's rightly not going to have made anyone keen on debuting him in the first place doubt their call just yet.

morgieb

Dropping Head could only possibly make sense to those who wouldn't have picked him in the first place.

He hasn't really done anything to change many opinions either way, but it just wouldn't make sense for the people who picked him in the first place to drop him now. He's been Australia's second leading run scorer since his debut, and was also Australia's second leading run scorer in the last series. I get that these are low bars to clear given how **** the batting has been but at the very least he's rightly not going to have made anyone keen on debuting him in the first place doubt their call just yet.
This. Perhaps drop him if he doesn't score runs against SL with Warner and Smith back, but he's still far from our biggest problem. Out of the Top 6 only Harris and Khawaja are more secure IMO.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Let me say I am all for picking Pucovski, providing he is ready for selection. You'd hope due diligence would be done to make sure he is ok.

howardj

International Coach
Steve Waugh nailed it with Usman a couple of Summers ago

Said he lacks a killer instinct - a thirst for big scores