• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

the big bambino

International Captain
Some quality contributions from both Marsh's there. Competing with both Starc and Cummins. You could select Pattinson in place of either Marsh and get similar batting and tell Paine he bowls 10 overs max per day to keep him from breaking.

Edit: I just checked and Pattinson actually averages 27 with the bat at Test level. Would be an improvement in all departments.
In one of my selections I had him in the side and budgeted 12 overs a day for him.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In one of my selections I had him in the side and budgeted 12 overs a day for him.
10-12 overs a day is more than you'd need from him if you've got 3 other quicks and a spinner. If he can average 30 with the bat then sweet. Pick the **** for SL series IMO, it's not like there are batsmen knocking the door down.

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Maxwell
Handscomb/Head
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc/Tremain/Bird
Lyon
Hazlewood

Top_Cat

If Pattinson is batting so well, why is Paine above him? If he's to be picked for his batting, back him in or don't pick him.

I think an honest reckoning of the side means Paine bats lower than 7 anyway. His numbers since his recall have been early-career Healyesque when the **** could barely bat but it was hoped he'd improve. At best, Paine could maintain but I doubt we're seeing a late-career batting surge.

TheJediBrah

If Pattinson is batting so well, why is Paine above him? If he's to be picked for his batting, back him in or don't pick him.

I think an honest reckoning of the side means Paine bats lower than 7 anyway. His numbers since his recall have been early-career Healyesque when the **** could barely bat but it was hoped he'd improve. At best, Paine could maintain but I doubt we're seeing a late-career batting surge.
Pattinson and Paine can swap I don't really care. It's not ideal to have either of them at 6 but it's the best team we can field right now IMO.

If MMarsh is a no. 6 then Pattinson and Paine are, if that's our standard

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
It is amazing how highly Marsh is rated by Oz comms and media. Even in this match I heard multiple people comment on his apparently enormous talent and composed technique. Standards have fallen so low that someone who looks good but doesn't deliver is good enough for 40 Tests.

the big bambino

International Captain
10-12 overs a day is more than you'd need from him if you've got 3 other quicks and a spinner. If he can average 30 with the bat then sweet. Pick the **** for SL series IMO, it's not like there are batsmen knocking the door down.

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Maxwell
Handscomb/Head
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc/Tremain/Bird
Lyon
Hazlewood
Yep it looks ok to me. have Travis over Handscomb and maybe a toss up with that player and maxie. I'd have Paine batting over Pattinson. I just think Pattinson will give you more runs and more value with the ball at test level than Mitch Marsh in his current form.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
It is amazing how highly Marsh is rated by Oz comms and media. Even in this match I heard multiple people comment on his apparently enormous talent and composed technique. Standards have fallen so low that someone who looks good but doesn't deliver is good enough for 40 Tests.
They're either deluded or liars. It's infuriating either way.

Top_Cat

He's amongst the best 6 on his day. Fairly sure almost all of his knocks above half-an-hour have been either match-winning or consequential so oppo teams would be very wary of ensuring he doesn't get comfortable or he'll hurt them and bring others along with him.

Problem is, this happens once a series at best.

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Marsh's 16/17 Ashes seemed to be the template for his next few years. He did look genuinely composed, someone prepared to bat time and be the solid middle-order bat who could hang around with the tail on the rare occasions Smith failed.

Alas, it's all proven to be a false dawn yet again as like Khawaja he seems to have mentally withered under the increased expectation with Smith & Warner absent.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It definitely doesn't. Succeeding in Shield doesn't mean that succeeding in Tests is a certainty. Some players are more suited to a higher level than others.

Just because 2 players have a similar record of Shield dominance, doesn't mean they have a similar likelihood of succeeding in Test cricket. Player A v Player B, both average 60 in Shield, one might average 20 in Tests, the other 50 in Tests, you can't tell until you try them.

Shaun Marsh has proven pretty definitively which category he falls into IMO
No, it 100% did. We'd banned our two best bats. There was no way we weren't going to select a guy who'd played 30+ tests and was averaging 88 in the Shield.

Of course
some players are more suited to a higher level than others.
but when you've got a guy averaging 88 and everyone else averaging 40ish (if that), who are you gonna pick, especially with the dearth of experience in the test team.

I hope he's done now, but it made sense at the start of the summer.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Not sure what you mean here. He's actually performed better with the bat since his recall than any keeper we've had since Gilchrist.

Top_Cat

You're really going to claim he's outperformed Haddin and Wade? 3 50's in that time vs both those guys who actually hit Test tons?

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You're really going to claim he's outperformed Haddin and Wade? 3 50's in that time vs both those guys who actually hit Test tons?
He's been good but not as good as the peaks of Haddin. He was way better than Wade with the gloves and that's all that really counts. His batting has been more than adequate, especially given the way our top order has folded every match. Paine- Cummins was probably our most reliable batting partnership for the summer.

howardj

International Coach
Tipping this for the Gabba against SL

Harris
Usman
Marnus/Burns
Head
Handscombe
Stoinis
Paine
Starc/Tremain
Cummins
Hazlewood
Lyon

howardj

International Coach
If Greg Chappell has any say, I don't think we'll be seeing older guys such as Maxwell and Wade being recalled

Hell, he probably deems Burns too old also

The only person who is exempt from his ageist rage is Geoff's little fella

the big bambino

International Captain
Lehmann had his speed fetish and Chappell with his twink fetish. We’ve been picking guys on every number except the ones they get in the field or at the crease.