• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australias batting lineup for the first series I watched, Ashes 98/99

Taylor
Slater
Langer
M Waugh
S Waugh
Ponting/Lehmann
Healy

Out of those guy Steve Waugh is the only one to not have a stint as a commentator/selector/coach

Bit sad actually because he's one bloke I'd love to hear more on television. Wonder why he never went down that road

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Australias batting lineup for the first series I watched, Ashes 98/99

Taylor
Slater
Langer
M Waugh
S Waugh
Ponting/Lehmann
Healy

Out of those guy Steve Waugh is the only one to not have a stint as a commentator/selector/coach

Bit sad actually because he's one bloke I'd love to hear more on television. Wonder why he never went down that road
Probably because of his work with the Steve Waugh Foundation. I believe one of his kids has a very rare illness

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just relistened to the interview (with Gerard Whateley on SEN) and yes, it’s correct. Langer not only got the centuries stat wrong with Finch & Head but also when talking about Smith & Warner. So it wasn’t just a one-off mistake but obviously a total misreading of a stat used to justify selection. Pretty amazing.
I wanted to make the "Langer can't understand a cricinfo page" joke yesterday but couldn't find the interview. good to know langer is as dumb as I thought he was

Spikey

also the guy who pointed that out is a pokemon speed runner and i absolutely believe the pokemon speed runner would do a better job than langer

mr_mister

also the guy who pointed that out is a pokemon speed runner and i absolutely believe the pokemon speed runner would do a better job than langer
Funnily enough he(werster) went to my high school. Two grades below. Had no idea he cared about cricket

Bijed

International Regular
He'd at least be able to make his fielders understand that they've gotta catch 'em all

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah just thought with every other Tom, Dick and Harry they've selected... might as well throw him in there for good measure haha.
I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of Stoinis the Test cricketer yet, but I get the sense he will need to rely on batting alone. Don't really see his bowling being that effective against world class batsman.

Spikey

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/key...lenn-maxwell-aaron-finch-joe-burns/2018-09-12

I don't know why I'm bothering to think about this some more, but honestly their metrics almost seem contradictory. Their things are:

- The concentration required to score hundreds
- The importance of 30-plus scores
- Performance under pressure

But it doesn't seem to me that an ability to compile a lot of 30 plus scores has anything to do with the "concentration required to score hundreds" and indeed scoring a lot of those without scoring tons can be a problem (hi shane watson), so what did they do when they had a player who only passed one of those metrics but failed the other one? And "performance under pressure" is dangerously close to "intangibles" and "clutch" which are impossible to measure in a meaningful way and hence usually at odds with statistical analysis which is what they're attempting to do in the first place.

Obviously there's a helluva lot of stuff we could be doing with 'advanced stats' that we don't currently do and efforts to improve that should be supported, but if feels like they've just picked a hypothesis but who knows if it checks out

Last edited:

Midwinter

State Captain
Article by Ed Cowan in the paper on weekend about the selection process for the national teams

It seems I am not the only person confused about it..

Points out that every review and report stresses the need for transparency about the processes for all stakeholders

but the transparency about the selection process is anything but clear.

Worth a read.

Burgey

Ed has agreed to answer some questions in an interview. I just have to find the time to organise them and send them through to him.

Midwinter

State Captain
Tim Paine's dream becomes a nightmare

Captain of Australia.
Childhood dream come true.
Could become one of the great captains of history.

Who are these blokes ?

:)

stephen

One year ago Tim Paine was the second choice keeper for his state side. You'd be crazy to have thought he'd be the captain of Australia at this point.