• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
For Sri Lanka I would contemplate something vaguely along these lines

1. Harris
2. Burns
3. Khawaja
4. Maxwell
5. Head
6. Handscomb/Marnus/Stoinis if they want someone who can bowl some meds

As for the bowlers, I'm certainly not calling for heads to roll. Patto probably won't be available because of workload management, perhaps someone like Jhye Richardson would be worth a go

burr

State Vice-Captain
Test selection may be an issue to a minor extent but the problem is still with Shield cricket (and its scheduling). I fundamentally don't agree with Cowan when he says people are knocking the door down. A Wade and Burns definition of 'knocking down the door' would have Bevan et al. laughing manically. Sure, pick them - but that won't solve our problems. They will remain average talent destined for a 30 odd average in test cricket at best.

On an aside, I am sick of Australian test players saying this is a young side. It is not young. Inexperienced due to incompetence maybe. But not young.

Last edited:

burr

State Vice-Captain
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...tter-options-on-sideline-20190105-p50pq8.html

geoff lawson really doesnt like justin langer as a coach is what i got from this
That is pretty interesting. Not a single first class title. It was the lack of process which was astounding. If you look at successful examples like Hawthorn, they went through a really solid process and appointed the best candidate (Clarkson), not some hunch pick or favourite son. That's the way any business should work, obviously.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...tter-options-on-sideline-20190105-p50pq8.html

geoff lawson really doesnt like justin langer as a coach is what i got from this
This pretty much smacks the nail on the head. Western Australia were not a good first class side - and a big part of that was them paying fringe shield players big salaries to stay for the big bash. Tye was on a maximum shield contact and a pitiful big bash contact despite being one of the best t20 bowlers in Australia.

So the Scorchers won titles by cheating the salary cap, Western Australia, despite having some really promising talent come through have failed to get anywhere near a shield title and players like Labaschagne get picked for the national side despite being at best the fourth best batsman for his state. Meanwhile the party line keeps running "we're a young side" and "any side would struggle losing their two best players" and "The cupboard is bare" when the selectors aren't even picking the best performed players in the competition.

They were talking about how bad the selection process is on abc grandstand today. Coulter-Nile was dropped because he complained of having back soreness, got a scan and nothing showed up. They said they dropped him because of his injury that he didn't have. They weren't even resting him (which earns full match fees).

These current selectors are woeful. Langer needs to be removed from the process and the other selectors moved on. We should appoint Cowan, Clarke and Ponting as the selectors. Maybe even Taylor could get in on the process now that he's unemployed.

Players need to be given the correct feedback. No player should be told "Don't play county, we want you to rest for the next series" then not be picked for the next series or the A tour to press their case.

Langer needs results. All that is happening now is that they're breeding a toxic dressing room where the bottom 5 batsmen look at the other half of the dressing room and wonder why the hell they were picked.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The line about state player discontent probably the most telling in the context of Langer's record as WACA coach. Lawson's usually plugged in on these sorts of things.

Spikey

tbf, it was a unique experience in comparison to what it would be like if he became one now. however, I'm on the side of removing the panel full stop. andrew jones and ed cowan have each stated their case and the answer is one of their options. I favour basically making the coach the selector per Jones and what he did with NSW, but I don't think Australian cricket could handle that, as seen by Lawson's article (and Lawson is part of NSW coaching staff!). the current panel is such a strange mix. you've got the chairman (who was the chairman 15 years ago), the coach and the national talent manager (who got kicked off the panel 6 years ago and SOS'd back onto it) with the captain and extra selector removed from the original set-up of the pane.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...s/news-story/7843c41e47b35c234ef3c53d8d63f58e

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-06/we-have-selectors-with-agendas-ed-cowan/10688214

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Maybe the selection panel needs to start comprising a rep from each state. And remove the captain and coach from the set up entirely.

Like:

Qld: Stuart Law
NSW: Ed Cowan
Vic: Darren Berry
Tas: Ricky Ponting
SA: Jason Gillespie
WA: Simon Katich

In the case of a split decision on a player, simply refer to the last 24 months in Sheffield Shield and select the best performing player.

Elite honestly believe Langer has to go.

stephen

Maybe the selection panel needs to start comprising a rep from each state. And remove the captain and coach from the set up entirely.

Like:

Qld: Stuart Law
NSW: Ed Cowan
Vic: Darren Berry
Tas: Ricky Ponting
SA: Jason Gillespie
WA: Simon Katich

In the case of a split decision on a player, simply refer to the last 24 months in Sheffield Shield and select the best performing player.

Elite honestly believe Langer has to go.
That's a lot of mouths to feed. And a lot of politics to be had. Better off capping it at 4 - one for each shield game and one for any international.

flibbertyjibber

So who is most likely to make the Ashes trip then. Langer or either of the Marsh boys?

If it was me in charge I'd pay what is needed to get Dizzy in as coach and bend over backwards to give him time away and allow his choice as number 2 to take up slack in T/20's and pointless ODI series. As for the Marsh boys neither should play a test again but I reckon both will get 50 tests+ the way it is going.

mr_mister

Shaun Marsh has registered 28 single digit scores from his 68 test innings, or 41.7%

Has any top 6 batsman had a higher % of single digit scores with a career as long as Shauns?

Maybe Syd Gregory? Ashraful? Ken Rutherford? cannot be many.

Starfighter

Rutherford: 22.2%
Ashraful: 31.1%
Gregory: 33%

Funny thing is Marsh averages significantly more than any of them.