• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jeez, JL/CA are coming across as being totally inept

Literally all they had to say wrt selections is "this is the direction we've chosen but others might come into contention for next summer with good domestic performances blah blah blah"

Bringing up incorrect stats, irrelevant analysis, etc just makes them look like fools

What's more, they are doubling down on idiocy by conducting an interview process for the choice of a vc

Here's an idea

Determine which players are guaranteed selection for both this series and next summer

That leaves Lyon & Starc

Congratulations Nathan

Unfortunately, it seems inevitable that MMarsh will get the job which will look really stupid if he fails in the UAE as it will be impossible to justify his selection thereafter

Spark

Global Moderator
amazing that CA went and looked at the mess that was the aus team setup and went "actually, what we need is more yes-man behaviour cultish devotion to a nostalgic golden age and less attention paid to merit"

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His stint as batting coach coincided with a period of horrible batting and our loss of the Ashes in 2010...
Wouldn't surprise me if his answer to every batting-related issue from his players was "easy, just watch the ball more" over and over.

"But coach it's not working I keep getting edges"
"You're obviously not watching the ball hard enough"

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
To be granted a call up to the test XI as a bowler, awesome. But to debut in UAE is garbage, setting up to fail. It’s the kind of crap we expect from the selection panel.
Batting wise Maxi obviously can’t catch a break, bloke must be being saved to get his technique honed for an important home series. But I doubt our selectors are so kind.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I feel sorry for Burns. Poor bloke flies to South Africa after sandpapergate and shows some ticker as the Aussies get rolled, then they don't even pick him

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Somebody observed on Twitter yesterday that in an interview Langer significantly exaggerated the amount of tons Head & Finch had made because he’d added up their List A & ODI stats as if they’re seperate from each other when in fact List A incorporates ODI stats (and same with T20 and T20 international).

If true, yikes!
This is pathetic. Really embarrassed to support Straya right now.

Daemon

I feel sorry for Burns. Poor bloke flies to South Africa after sandpapergate and shows some ticker as the Aussies get rolled, then they don't even pick him
Burns is actually alright but for his problems against spin. Typical Australian player really.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I called Langer's reign the Fourth Reich when he came to power.

At least Hitler got off to a good start.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't surprise me if his answer to every batting-related issue from his players was "easy, just watch the ball more" over and over.

"But coach it's not working I keep getting edges"
"You're obviously not watching the ball hard enough"
He has said that I'm pretty sure

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think Langer will act as though he knew the actual 100 numbers but he has his own metric where he counts international hundreds to be worth 2 domestic ones.

Top_Cat

Thing is, noone trained harder or worked to better themselves as a player than Langer. Squeezed out every last drop of talent. Not many blokes start a Test career with a shot arc roughly between point and gully then put on enough shots mid-career to almost match the tempo of ultra-aggressive blokes like Hayden, Ponting and the rest.

Bloke had laser focus and he probably really believes it's just a concentration issue or wanting it bad enough with these guys so I'm not too surprised he'd fall hard for the blokes hustling around the nets over uber-talented but wasting their potential types. He was the perennial touring bat for 5 years after being dropped the first time and often dropped at the first sign of trouble himself so I doubt he'd have a huge amount of sympathy for the predicament guys like Maxwell find themselves in either. Me personally, I don't think a guy like him makes for much of a technical coach but he might be a boon for guys who need some tough love like Khawaja.