• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i think one of my favourite things is how boards know that if they lose during the middle of the night no one will remember or care so they pick lolly scramble teams

this is especially true for odi tours where i believe the caps are handed out in brown paper bags
defo true for Aus. I feel like more than half the domestic circuit has played ODIs at some stage over the last few years. Every team will have 6-7 former national players.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swear it's def for personal reasons yeah. Langer coming out and saying he hasn't gotten enough tons is so dumb considering he's got as many FC tons as Head in less games
Actually I think that a big part of the reason is that the selectors value the difference between red and white ball cricket a lot less than us fans do.

Think back to last summer, Sean Marsh was picked in the Ashes team in large part due to his ODD form.

Now Finch is picked in the test squad and there's rumours that he'll be opening. He's been good for the last couple of years in first class cricket so it's not too far out of the blue, but his ODI form is definitely a consideration.

Head has largely been picked due to being good at ODI cricket.

Paine was captain in England despite them having a better captain and keeper available and in the side.

This winter, Maxwell had a poor ODI series and now they're saying he needs to make more hundreds.

I think they absolutely are picking based on both forms of cricket and not being as rigid as we are about looking at first class cricket only.

And Langer himself started in the middle order and then moved up to three and then to open so I doubt they even consider batting position as important of a factor as us armchair pundits make out.

Sometimes the selectors do blunder into some good decisions. Paine was one of them. Marnus or Arun might turn out to be another one. But that doesn't mean the decision or the thought process that got there is correct.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
****ing whaT?
I dont really understand why people dont like the Paine selection. He's done nothing wrong since he returned. His scores have been: 7, 62, 9*, 34*, 28*, 36, 14, 25, 38*, 24, 49*, 11, 57. Which gives him a batting average of 49 since his return at the end of 2017.

In fact, since his recall in 2017, he's probably been the best performed keeper in the world, with the bat:

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

Add to that, he's a very tidy keeper, definitely better than Wade ever was. I dont understand why people don't like his selection.

stephen

Interesting reading on cricket.com.au this morning about how CA are trying to money ball their way out of batting collapses by focusing on the percentage of 30+ scores by batsmen.

I don't agree with the logic. But it's interesting to see that there is some there.

My question is, on what metric was Tremain excluded?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
If there are only looking for someone who can make a nice 30, then they might as well just drag Watto out of retirement.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Actually I think that a big part of the reason is that the selectors value the difference between red and white ball cricket a lot less than us fans do.

Think back to last summer, Sean Marsh was picked in the Ashes team in large part due to his ODD form.

Now Finch is picked in the test squad and there's rumours that he'll be opening. He's been good for the last couple of years in first class cricket so it's not too far out of the blue, but his ODI form is definitely a consideration.

Head has largely been picked due to being good at ODI cricket.

Paine was captain in England despite them having a better captain and keeper available and in the side.

This winter, Maxwell had a poor ODI series and now they're saying he needs to make more hundreds.

I think they absolutely are picking based on both forms of cricket and not being as rigid as we are about looking at first class cricket only.

And Langer himself started in the middle order and then moved up to three and then to open so I doubt they even consider batting position as important of a factor as us armchair pundits make out.

Sometimes the selectors do blunder into some good decisions. Paine was one of them. Marnus or Arun might turn out to be another one. But that doesn't mean the decision or the thought process that got there is correct.
Mitch Johnson anyone?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Somebody observed on Twitter yesterday that in an interview Langer significantly exaggerated the amount of tons Head & Finch had made because he’d added up their List A & ODI stats as if they’re seperate from each other when in fact List A incorporates ODI stats (and same with T20 and T20 international).

If true, yikes!

Starfighter

Somebody observed on Twitter yesterday that in an interview Langer significantly exaggerated the amount of tons Head & Finch had made because he’d added up their List A & ODI stats as if they’re seperate from each other when in fact List A incorporates ODI stats (and same with T20 and T20 international).

If true, yikes!
Got a link to the tweets?

Starfighter

Hmm, I'm not going to check the original interview 'cause last time I saw an interview with Langer I nearly threw up. If true that's a really, amazingly basic error to make and really shows up Langer's fitness to be a selector.

mr_mister

Maxwell averages a whole 5 runs higher in FC cricket than Head. I didn't know the gap was so big

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm, I'm not going to check the original interview 'cause last time I saw an interview with Langer I nearly threw up. If true that's a really, amazingly basic error to make and really shows up Langer's fitness to be a selector.
Amazing how stats-ignorant these pros can be considering how obsessed random fans on the internet are about them. We just assume that the Coaches, and to a lesser extent the players, know and understand the statistics just as much as we do. Clearly doesn't seem to be the case.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Just relistened to the interview (with Gerard Whateley on SEN) and yes, it’s correct. Langer not only got the centuries stat wrong with Finch & Head but also when talking about Smith & Warner. So it wasn’t just a one-off mistake but obviously a total misreading of a stat used to justify selection. Pretty amazing.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The guys is a bit of an idiot and he's gotten into this position through the boys club