• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

cnerd123

likes this
Daddy Geoff must be a real charmer too hey?

I wonder if they're all really great fun to be around. They might be generous and kind. Maybe even inspirational. It's the only explanation.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean, I don’t want to be rude, but I’m 49 next month, am completely unfit atm, have a shthouse knee and a dodgy shoulder, and I reckon I could have averaged four this series. It’s jist ****ing horrendous.

To hear Marin Waugh say Shaun Marsh needs to go back and work on his technique - he’s 35 ffs. It’s embarrassing
Absolute nonsense and just reinforces the belief that the Marsh boys are judged by a different criteria to everyone else

social

Burgey is 49, I’m 53 and JBMAC is 112

Each one of us would average 4+

Bring back TOTAB

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poor Mrs Burgey asked me a question during the Foxtel lunch time montage about TOTAB. Just finished my soliloquy

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
This is what I'd like to see with our three best bats now out...

Renshaw
Burns
Ferguson
Maxwell
Head
Pucovski
Paine *
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood

Honestly think we need to start looking at guys who maybe aren't as "intent" but who can bat time. At least for the moment. And why not bring a 20year old in who's just made a double? We've got ****ing nothing to lose!

Starfighter

Honestly think we need to start looking at guys who maybe aren't as "intent" but who can bat time. At least for the moment.
I doubt there's anyone (who's somewhat sensible) on this board who doesn't think that this is a good idea. Unfortunately intent culture rules at CA.

Burgey

Renshaw bats time. And he’s sitting on the sidelines over there while we get rolled for around 150 in each dig. Smdh

stephen

This is what I'd like to see with our three best bats now out...

Renshaw
Burns
Ferguson
Maxwell
Head
Pucovski
Paine *
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood

Honestly think we need to start looking at guys who maybe aren't as "intent" but who can bat time. At least for the moment. And why not bring a 20year old in who's just made a double? We've got ****ing nothing to lose!
No Finch? No Labaschagne?

Labaschagne at least has a few seasons under his belt and had a breakout season last year.

Finch has been decent this series (averaged 45) so I think he should stay.

No sense throwing the baby out with the marshwater.

Starfighter

Labaschagne at least has a few seasons under his belt and had a breakout season last year.
He averaged 39.8 last Shield season and has an overall FC average of 33.8. He's not proven good enough, ever. In this situation we're much better off picking a more experienced player like Ferguson, who averaged 48.8 last season too.

stephen

I guess I'm of the belief that you don't drop guys after two tests when they've shown signs of promise to replace them with guys who are even greener.

Starfighter

In Red Hill's XI only Pucovski is greener and I wouldn't say Labuschagne's shown that much promise at all from a batting PoV.

TheJediBrah

I guess I'm of the belief that you don't drop guys after two tests when they've shown signs of promise to replace them with guys who are even greener.
But you can drop Ferguson after 1? If I was Ferguson (or a few of the other blokes) and they picked Labuschagne I'd be livid

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It'd be very rough to drop Finch.

And on the YOLO Pucovski pick, I think there's a giant risk of taking both him and Renshaw into the same match when they're both pretty concussion-prone at this point. This will undoubtedly mean Langer leaves out Renshaw to make room for Pucovski, but still.

1. Renshaw
2. Finch
3. Head
4. Ferguson
5. Maxwell
6. Marsh/Cartwright/Stoinis/Henriques/Christian/Wildermuth/Whoever can bowl some half-decent jammy meds
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Reckon Shaun Marsh will still get picked (as long as he has decent Shield form), in part because Oz cricket commentators are always rationalising his poor form; Mike Hussey was doing it multiple times on commentary during the match and Brett Lee appeared to be ready to go in mourning if he isn't picked for the Gabba.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Can't see Jon Holland being picked again for Tests regardless of how good his first-class form is. Had a couple of chances on tours and at no stage has he looked like a dangerous threat; batsmen don't fear him at all even when he tosses the ball up and most significantly, I don't think Holland really believes in himself at this level.

The scary thing is that he's not even the worst left-arm offie Australia have tried in Tests; how Xavier Doherty managed to get 4 Tests (with a dire FC record as well) is a mystery.

Probably the last time we should Siddle in a Test side as well; has been tailing off for a fair while now. Only managed to get 4 wickets in an innings once since 2013 and didn't show anything this series that he could have a late-career surge.

Gnske

What a sad stage we're at, where we would usually shoot down any suggestion that a guy like Will Pucovski be selected with not even 10 matches to his name. But so dry is the desert, so lifeless is the Mojave of Australian batting that we have come unironically to thinking he's a real chance.

And he is, the selectors would do it.