• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2018/19

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah this is just the thing people like you say when you get called out and struggle for a reply. Kind of like when Mark Waugh responds to journalistic criticisms with "how many tests have you played?" Which is what you'd do. Except you haven't played tests.
I don't have a horse in this race but he's got a point. SL played terrible cricket on that tour. With a little bit of luck and better application they won the next series, sure but that doesn't elevate the standard they displayed in the previous series. They were ****ing horrible. Hapless. It was basically a second string lineup without any matches behind them. What they did afterwards is irrelevant. Like how horrid Australia have been in ODIs the past couple of years batting the last 8 matches.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sri Lanka were a class below Australia when they came here. But they still fought tooth and nail. It was largely the Australian fast bowlers who were too much for the Lankan batsmen. Starc was one of those bowlers. Bambino's point therefore stands.

Starc's form and rhythm had been down before that series but it doesn't change the fact that he was a late part of the difference between the two sides.

vcs

Still struggling to comprehend how an inexperienced SL side with a new captain managed to play like world beaters for a month in SA and accomplished what no Asian team has ever done before.

trundler

Sri Lanka were a class below Australia when they came here. But they still fought tooth and nail. It was largely the Australian fast bowlers who were too much for the Lankan batsmen. Starc was one of those bowlers. Bambino's point therefore stands.

Starc's form and rhythm had been down before that series but it doesn't change the fact that he was a late part of the difference between the two sides.
Their bowling was substandard too.

trundler

Starc bowled well but I don't think it was enough to compensate for the dross he's dishing out for a while considering the strength of the SL team.

Cummins, Pattinson, Haze for me.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
With regards to the wider debate regarding the Australian Ashes pace attack it is worth remembering there is still a long way to go until the Ashes commences. At the moment I would lean towards Cummins, Pattinson, and one out of Starc/Haze/Richardson for the starting XI, but a lot depends on form and fitness between now and then. Those are certainly the first five I would select, but there is also the question of whether having more of a swing and seam style bowler is a worthwhile option for English conditions

Last edited:

trundler

With regards to the wider debate regarding the Australian Ashes pace attack it is worth remembering there is still a long way to go until the Ashes commences. At the moment I would lean towards Cummins, Pattinson, and one out of Starc/Haze/Richardson for the starting XI, but a lot depends on form and fitness between now and then. Those are certainly the first five I would select, but there is also the question of whether having more of a swing and seam style bowler is a worthwhile option for English conditions
Jhye Richardson, then.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Jhye can certainly swing it, but he can hit the 140s and is a skiddy aggressive sort of bowler, not what I would consider the typical English seamer.

TheJediBrah

SL have beaten SA 4 times in 5 tests. Minnows can't do that. You can argue against Starc for whatever reason you like as long as its credible. Starc's effort against SL is inconvenient for any case you want to make against him. Because only a fool would drop someone after taking that many wickets. So you run the minnow crap. You're just making **** up.
bro you can repeating the same irrelevant points. Teams can change very quickly. Sri Lanka were atrocious in Australia. They were very good in SA. I don't know why this is so hard for you to accept.

trundler

Jhye can certainly swing it, but he can hit the 140s and is a skiddy aggressive sort of bowler, not what I would consider the typical English seamer.
Aside from the Jimmy Anderson method, the Lillee model is also very successful in England. No reason why Cummins and Richardson won't be well suited to English conditions, barring form and stuff.

TheJediBrah

The most important aspect to be successful in England, other than swing/seam is just simple accuracy. The more balls you get in the right area the better chance of getting it to do something that's actually threatening the batsman and the less bad balls. It's why Starc will always be **** England. And Why Mitch Johnson was always **** in England.

(I know you can say that about bowling anywhere but I feel that, generally speaking, it's more important in England than, say, Australia where you need to have a bit more pace to force an error, and the pitch won't do as much for you)

Top_Cat

The W’s found a way to smash it in England and they were never metronomic though. Both played a lot of County cricket so I’d suggest some local experience would do the Aussie quicks wonders. The lack of Aussies heading north for winter and the team being on the wrong end of every winter Ashes since 2001 ain’t no coincidence.

trundler

The W’s found a way to smash it in England and they were never metronomic though. Both played a lot of County cricket so I’d suggest some local experience would do the Aussie quicks wonders. The lack of Aussies heading north for winter and the team being on the wrong end of every winter Ashes since 2001 ain’t no coincidence.
Yeah but they were to swing what Hadlee and McGrath were to accuracy.

Top_Cat

They weren't born that way and neither was Hadlee born with the accuracy. They learned and had specific strategies. If it was solely about raw ability, Shaun Tait would be the greatest Test bowler of all time.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
bro you can repeating the same irrelevant points. Teams can change very quickly. Sri Lanka were atrocious in Australia. They were very good in SA. I don't know why this is so hard for you to accept.
SL's bowling improved massively but their batting was still not great. They got dismissed for 191 and 154 in the first innings of the two tests. It was a brilliant lone hand that won them the first test and one good partnership after being 2/34 that won them the second test. They are a very weak batting team, but then again England don't have a great batting line up either.

Starc bowled well and got wickets in the 2nd test but I think it is probably form closer to the start of the Ashes which will decide the bowling line up in the first Ashes test. It may come down to who gets wickets in the Australia versus Australia A match to decide who is in that team.

vcs

Indian quicks were excellent last time in England, so the Australian ones should be more than handy. More importantly, they'll be bowling to an unsettled England batting order, who're prone to a collapse and almost always lose 3-4 wickets before they score 80 runs.

trundler

All 5 of the top 5 are more than handy swing/seam bowlers. 2 of them have form issues but still plenty of time. Hopefully no one will break down.