• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2018/19

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I know it sounds pretty out there, but Marcus Harris is on track to go down as a Shield ATG. 3 centuries in 3 shield finals is huge.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
You can't really fault Harris for this innings. Position saving IMO. No way Burns will be the one to stay after his terrible second half of the shield season. Which will make him officially the most dropped player since Damien Martyn.
A bit harsh to drop a player who scored 180 in his last test match but he certainly did not have a great Shield season. There is still the A tour to come before the final decision is made and if Burns out performs Harris on that tour he might hold his place.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't Martyn have his famous dropping in 94 then upon recall a very extended run?

I feel perhaps Lehmann was dropped more, or maybe Phil Hughes
hughes was dropped more, even excluding the couple of times he filled in for an injured opener

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm curious now who holds the record for most times dropped/recalled from a test team

Got the feeling Ramprakash and Hick must have had like 5-6 runs for England each between getting dropped

Last edited:

stephen

I think bowlers get dropped more regularly than batsmen since they're injured more often. Batsmen getting dropped and selected again is a more infrequent occurrence.

Smudge80

Cricket Spectator
With Warner and Smith to come back in the batting positions for the Ashes will certainly be interesting.

Sheffield Shield, 2018/19 Cricket Team Records & Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com

Harris surely has to be picked. Wade has had a phenomenal season as a batsman but may have to make do with a place in the A team. Dan Hughes and Nick Larkin should be on the A tour. Burns 180 might save him. I have taken a punt on Tom Andrews for the A Team as what is the only viable alternative 34 year old Steve O'Keefe? Shaun Marsh's test career is surely over as is the Mitchell Marsh experiment.

Test Squad

Harris
Warner
Smith
Burns
Khawaja
Head
Paine (c, wk)
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Reserves: Patterson, Nevill wk, Holland, Pattinson, J Richardson

A team: Hughes, Larkin, Silk, Pucovski, Lehmann, Maddinson, M Marsh (c), Wade wk, Carey wk, Neser, Tremain, Abbott, Mennie, Steketee, Swepson, Andrews

Bancroft came close to the main squad but may as well play for Durham rather than play for the A team.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think your general Australia squad will be close, but I cant see lots of the A squad youve named being there. Someone like Steketee, would be a massive surprise, despite his good looking stats this season.

Most signs point to both Carey and Wade being ahead of Nev too. Jake Lehmann has had a pretty bad run so someone like Labuschagne would feature ahead of him. Marnus also means you dont need to waste a spot on a 3rd backup spinner for Lyon and you just bring in another quick.

Why name MMarsh captain if the experiment is over?

Basically, I think with it being an Ashes tour the A squad wont necessarily focus on youth. This will help Bird/Doolan/Henriques/Siddle etc more IMO.

The youth picks will also be more PONIs too and less 2018/2019 fomestic season stats focused, so D'arcy Short or Riley Meredith (thanks Warne) or Ashton Turner could be picked ahead of someone with a statistically better season.

Last edited:

Smudge80

Cricket Spectator
I think your general Australia squad will be close, but I cant see lots of the A squad youve named being there. Someone like Steketee, would be a massive surprise, despite his good looking stats this season.

Most signs point to both Carey and Wade being ahead of Nev too. Jake Lehmann has had a pretty bad run so someone like Labuschagne would feature ahead of him. Marnus also means you dont need to waste a spot on a 3rd backup spinner for Lyon and you just bring in another quick.

Why name MMarsh captain if the experiment is over?

Basically, I think with it being an Ashes tour the A squad wont necessarily focus on youth. This will help Bird/Doolan/Henriques/Siddle etc more IMO.

The youth picks will also be more PONIs too and less 2018/2019 fomestic season stats focused, so D'arcy Short or Riley Meredith (thanks Warne) or Ashton Turner could be picked ahead of someone with a statistically better season.
Nevill has been the most consistent keeper-batsman at state level over the past five years. However, with Paine being captain the best Nevill can hope for is number two keeper in the main squad. Wade's problem is that he isn't keeping but his batting has impressed me. I suspect Carey will be chosen as the second keeper for the main squad and if so Nevill and Wade should be selected for the A Team.

Labuschagne only averages 32 in first class cricket. I don't think his performances to date warrant selection.

I was in two minds about Mitchell Marsh but what are the other all-round options? Stoinis? Henriques?

I thought about Bird, Doolan, Henriques and Siddle but concluded 32/33/34 year olds should not be playing A team cricket. Siddle is playing for Essex.

D'Arcy Short is only averaging 25 in first class cricket and so talk of international selection in the longer format of the game is quite ridiculous. Ashton Turner needs to prove himself in state cricket first as 3 100s in 39 games suggests he still has some way to go before achieving this.

I would not be unhappy with Riley Meredith being selected instead of Steketee,

Last edited:

mr_mister

No need for the link I watch a lot of cricket. Against trash he got wickets but against decent batting sides he's been crap for ages

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Paine is going on the A Tour as captain.
It is has been also mentioned that Harris, Head and Patterson are going to be in the A squad.
The A-squad will also have those who miss out on the WC cup squad because they want players in England to back up the WC squad in case of injury.
There is not going to be many spots for young players on the A tour, it looks like it might be almost the Ashes squad minus those going to World Cup plus those who just miss out on the World Cup squad.

So possibly

Wk: Paine, Wade
Batsmen : Harris, Head, Patterson, Burns, Pucovski + 2 batsmen Warner and Smith replace in WC squad
Spinner: Holland or maybe O'Keefe
Quicks: Pattinson, Bird, Tremain, + maybe 2 bowlers who do not make the WC squad depending a bit on Hazlewood and J. Richardson's injuries.

stephen

One gets the getting that Pattinson wants to be picked at 7 for Aus. But I think he's a good number 8 but not good enough to bat 7 behind Paine.