• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why can't england produce a 50+ batsman?

Chrish

International Debutant
The fact that England used to produce heaps of 50+ batsmen and sub-25 bowlers in uncovered wicket era but all of a sudden all of them disappeared after 60s makes me question about the standard of Cricket back then. Were things little easier and less professional back then?

I have heard the line of arguments like cricket popularity rapidly declining in favor of football and that variety of wickets disappearing in county cricket so that later generation of batsmen or bowlers couldn’t develop universal technique to succeed in all conditions, but I am not completely convinced. If the country has a strong cricket culture with Ashes and stuff, they should have produced at least few ATG players if not at the level of their past.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The fact that England used to produce heaps of 50+ batsmen and sub-25 bowlers in uncovered wicket era but all of a sudden all of them disappeared after 60s makes me question about the standard of Cricket back then. Were things little easier and less professional back then?

I have heard the line of arguments like cricket popularity rapidly declining in favor of football and that variety of wickets disappearing in county cricket so that later generation of batsmen or bowlers couldn’t develop universal technique to succeed in all conditions, but I am not completely convinced. If the country has a strong cricket culture with Ashes and stuff, they should have produced at least few ATG players if not at the level of their past.
We don't, at least not that is comparable to Australia and the sub-continent. Cricket was more popular during England's greatest eras, of Hobbs, Hammond, May. You could see crowds of 20,000+ at county - I repeat, county - matches.

Chrish

International Debutant
P.S. I am not criticizing England. Without looking at the record, they might be the most consistently decent team of past few decades. They never achieved the 'highs" that other teams did but they didn't hit the all-time lows like others either.

But the question remains in the end why they had 6 batsmen averaging 50+ (not counting Paynter or Tyldesley) in uncovered era but none afterwards..

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
We just have too much culture. Players can't totally dedicate their time to cricket. Too many other distractions - like fighting and farming.

Groundking

International Debutant
We don't, at least not that is comparable to Australia and the sub-continent. Cricket was more popular during England's greatest eras, of Hobbs, Hammond, May. You could see crowds of 20,000+ at county - I repeat, county - matches.
Club cricket used to get crowds of 1k+...

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, its SA, but after that i think Eng have overall been the 2nd best side over say the last 10-15 years. Its certainly debatable anyway.
I guess if you limit it to the last 10-15 years they'd be close, along with SA, India and Aus. I was thinking more last 20-30 years where they struggled a bit more.

Looking forward to the meaningless, stat-boosting, dead-rubber, flat track ton from Cook btw

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess if you limit it to the last 10-15 years they'd be close, along with SA, India and Aus. I was thinking more last 20-30 years where they struggled a bit more.

Looking forward to the meaningless, stat-boosting, dead-rubber, flat track ton from Cook btw
And im looking forward to smothering your face with one of my kidneys.......which would be a vast improvement for you tbh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
While I do think the Duke ball does make a difference in Eng. SA is not exactly an easy place to bat.
It's not but someone earlier made the point about English conditions not being like any other. I don't think it's a coincidence that South Africa and Australia have excellent away records against each other.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Eng also hasn't produced any bowler averaging under 25 in pretty much the same length of time. Anyone care to explain that??
Again, it comes to how different English conditions are, the skills needed to bowl well in England typically aren't transferable to many other conditions in the world.

Typically it takes players at least a couple of tours to really develop and know their game to get results elsewhere. If you take Anderson's career from the start of the 2009 English summer he has 444 wickets at 24, with a home average of 22 and an away average of 30 (his average in Sri Lanka, West Indies and the UAE in that time frame are all sub 22).

Anderson gets a lot of flak at times for his poor away record but this is mostly explained by his first 6 years in Test cricket where he was not as good a bowler and also in and out of the side constantly. His away record over the last 9-10 years is excellent.

Bolo

State Captain
Again, it comes to how different English conditions are, the skills needed to bowl well in England typically aren't transferable to many other conditions in the world.

Typically it takes players at least a couple of tours to really develop and know their game to get results elsewhere. If you take Anderson's career from the start of the 2009 English summer he has 444 wickets at 24, with a home average of 22 and an away average of 30 (his average in Sri Lanka, West Indies and the UAE in that time frame are all sub 22).

Anderson gets a lot of flak at times for his poor away record but this is mostly explained by his first 6 years in Test cricket where he was not as good a bowler and also in and out of the side constantly. His away record over the last 9-10 years is excellent.
This just makes him sound like an improved bowler, which reflects in his home and away average. He's still a slow nagging swing bowler, which is not the most transferable style, so there is still a massive gap for home away. He's just a better version of a bowler with a pigeonhole skillset

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't call an average of 30 excellent. It's perfectly serviceable and respectable, but far from outstanding.
Yup, if it was around 25 I'd call it excellent. Steyn's 24.91 is a good mark.

This just makes him sound like an improved bowler, which reflects in his home and away average. He's still a slow nagging swing bowler, which is not the most transferable style, so there is still a massive gap for home away. He's just a better version of a bowler with a pigeonhole skillset
Boy are you gonna cop some flack for that.

Flem274*

123/5
anderson has made some mistakes overseas (england in general often don't adjust their lines and lengths to the new overseas conditions as fast as they probably should if plan A doesn't work) but overall he's bowled excellent areas and channels, often with a rocks and diamonds broad and a vanishing third seamer to partner him.

it's just the life of the excellent but not ATG bowler.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a description of what works in England, not an insult. There's no reason to call him a hostile tearaway because it sounds more exciting, and nobody would want him to be one
It's correct, but some will see differently. Funnily enough he was sharp enough back when he made his debut, nowhere near the skill or control though.