• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you pick as your 2 Test openers from 21st Century?

Best 2 Test openers of 21st Century

• Total voters

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
For me it would be Cook and Sehwag. Cook being my first choice and Sehwag second. Cook opening in the hardest country in the world to open is a definite factor for me - plus his great record in Asia (54 average). Sehwag would compliment him well in my opinion, poor record when the ball moves but an absolute beast otherwise (and finished with a 82 strikerate :-O). No bias here - being born in England but of Indian descent lol.

Choose your top 2 :). Some basic stats below.

Cook - 32 100s
Cook average away 45.6
Cook average home 43.9

Hayden - 30 100s
Hayden average away 41.7
Hayden average home 57.8

Sehwag - 23 100s
Sehwag average away 44.6
Sehwag average home 54.1

Smith - 27 100s
Smith average away 53.9
Smith average home 41.5

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayden and Smith.

Ugly lefty bullying FTW.

I am surprised Smith never made any centuries in India, for such a solid player.

EDIT : Actually, he never made any centuries vs. India at all. Weird. Don't particularly remember him having any issues against spin, though he did struggle against Zaheer.

Last edited:

trundler

Smith had the toughest job, followed by Cook. Reflected in their home averages. Also shows what a home bully Hayden was. Had the easiest job of the 4. Sehwag's away average is higher than I thought it'd be, though it is only outside Asia that it plummets if I'm not wrong. Hayden has the best century ratio.

Smith will probably be my first selection. The Sehwag and Hayden are pretty much even Stevens. Cook would be close too. What's with FTB openers who are great against spin haha.

morgieb

Smith and Sehwag.

Hayden was probably better than Sehwag, but Sehwag offers contrast and can go nuts in a way with that Hayden and Smith can't as much.

trundler

For the record Gavaskar averages 52 away and 50 home. ****ing unbelievable.

trundler

Smith
-
-
Tendulkar
-
Kallis
Gilchrist
-
-
McGrath
Murali

Fill as you please.

trundler

Personally I'd want a stable opener who can blunt out the quicks. How does CW rate these 4 men against pace I wonder?

Bolo

State Captain
Definitely Smith by a nose. All the others are a fair shout, but I probably put Sehwag last.

trundler

Tendulkar is a lock for the 90s. 21st century he's just one of many with a solid case.
Maybe so. One or 2 guys are always going to debatable.

Dravid, Sanga, and Ponting fighting for the number 3 spot.
Lara and Smith are in contention for the #5 spot. Could have either up the order too. With Murali, McGrath and Steyn being locks I'll need a strong #8. Big Vern is just that.

Bolo

State Captain
Maybe so. One or 2 guys are always going to debatable.

Dravid, Sanga, and Ponting fighting for the number 3 spot.
Lara and Smith are in contention for the #5 spot. Could have either up the order too. With Murali, McGrath and Steyn being locks I'll need a strong #8. Big Vern is just that.
Kohli, AB, Younis are all fair shouts as well.