• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Ever ODI XI

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Sice we have a Best Test XI thread, I thought perhaps we should have a best ODI XI thread.

This is my Best ODI XI ever:

1: AC Gilchrist (wk)
2: SR Tendulkar
3: IVA Richards
4: RT Ponting (c)
5: MG Bevan
6: L Klusener
7: SM Pollock
8: Wasim Akram
9: SK Warne
10: AA Donald
11: GD McGrath

12th Man: BC Lara

a massive zebra

International Captain
CG Greenidge
SR Tendulkar
IVA Richards (cpt)
BC Lara
DM Jones
MG Bevan
AC Gilchrist (wk)
RJ Hadlee
CEL Ambrose
J Garner
M Muralitharan

12th Man: Wasim Akram

Last edited:

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Just like what I did with my Best Test XI, I wanted to see what my Best ODI XI could score in an innings (batting first).

This is just a minimum/par score because I'm sure that my XI could of scored more.

1: AC Gilchrist (wk) - 32 (34)
2: SR Tendulkar - 39 (45)
3: IVA Richards - 39 (43)
4: RT Ponting (c) - 34 (43)
5: MG Bevan - 41 (55)
6: L Klusener - 30 (33)
7: SM Pollock - 15 (17)
8: Wasim Akram - 9 (10)
9: SK Warne - 7 (9)
10: AA Donald - 2 (5)
11: GD McGrath - 1* (2)

All Out for 249 off 49.2 overs@ 5.04 rpo

Craig

World Traveller
a massive zebra said:
CG Greenidge
SR Tendulkar
IVA Richards (cpt)
BC Lara
DM Jones
MG Bevan
AC Gilchrist (wk)
RJ Hadlee
CEL Ambrose
J Garner
M Muralitharan

12th Man: Wasim Akram
As good as a bowler Garner and Hadlee were, I think it is hard to put those two in considering they played in an era which 240-250 where batsmen were nto as attacking as they are now.

a massive zebra

International Captain
CG Greenidge 45 (69)
SR Tendulkar 45 (51)
IVA Richards (cpt) 47 (52)
BC Lara 42 (53)
DM Jones 44 (60)
MG Bevan 53 (72)
AC Gilchrist (wk) 36 (38)
RJ Hadlee 21 (27)
CEL Ambrose 10 (15)
J Garner 9 (14)
M Muralitharan 6 (9)

a massive zebra

International Captain
Craig said:
As good as a bowler Garner and Hadlee were, I think it is hard to put those two in considering they played in an era which 240-250 where batsmen were nto as attacking as they are now.
I think they would have adapted. Garner could hardly have done any better in ODIs and Hadlee was renouned for his accuracy.

twctopcat

International Regular
Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Lara
Dravid
Bevan
Klusener
Akram
Warne
Garner
Mcgrath

12th man: Clive Lloyd

tooextracool

International Coach
a bit surprised that no one put jonty rhodes in their team, at least at 12th man....the influence he had on his team was quite amazing and his presence in the field along with some spectacular fielding made his team play a lot better.

twctopcat

International Regular
tooextracool said:
a bit surprised that no one put jonty rhodes in their team, at least at 12th man....the influence he had on his team was quite amazing and his presence in the field along with some spectacular fielding made his team play a lot better.
I thought of Jonty but put in Lloyd instead for 12th man. Awesome captain, fielder and batsmen, just awesome.

chicane

State Captain
A.Gilchrist (wk)
V.Sehwag
S.Tendulkar
R.Ponting (c)
D.Jones
C.Cairns
M.Bevan
L.Klusener
W.Akram
G.McGrath
M.Muralitharan

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
  • Tendulkar
  • Gilchrist
  • Viv Richards
  • Ricky Ponting
  • Lance Klusener
  • Mike Bevan
  • Jonty Rhodes (remember Hero Cup in 92 and World Cup 92)
  • Glenn Mcgraa
  • Allan Donald
  • Waseem Akram (happens to be rated no 1 ODI bowler of all time by Wisden, well 500 ODI wkts)
  • Muralitharan
  • Reserves - Joel Garner, Andy Symonds, Ajay Jadeja, Arvinda DeSilva, Martin Crowe, Warne, Lara,
  • Thats my 20 men squad.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Bapu Rao Swami said:
Tendulkar

Gilchrist

Viv Richards

Ponting

Mike Bevan

Lance Klusener

Andy Symonds

Glenn Mcgraa

Allan Donald

Muttaiah Muralitharan

Waseem Akram(happens to be rated no 1 ODI bowler of all time by Wisden)
Andy Symonds????

chicane said:
A.Gilchrist (wk)
V.Sehwag
S.Tendulkar
R.Ponting (c)
D.Jones
C.Cairns
M.Bevan
L.Klusener
W.Akram
G.McGrath
M.Muralitharan

iamdavid

International Debutant
1.Sachin Tendulkar
2.Mark Waugh
3.Viv Richards
4.Aravinda De Silva
5.Michael Bevan
6.+Adam Gilchrist
7.*Imran Khan
8.Wasim Akram
9.Joel Garner
10.Curtley Ambrose
11.Muttiah Muralitharan
12th man:Dean Jones

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
There is no question about Rhodes fielding as its very good.

But the problem is that perhaps people would find it hard to find a spot for him in their side because he batted most times (90 innings) at No.5 in his ODI career. Now Michael Bevan has to be the first player picked in any best ODI XI so he would probably be best suited at No.5. You would also want to have your top four batsmen averaging more than Rhodes (35.11). So where do you play Rhodes, at No.6 or do you put an all rounder in at No.6? Now that would pose a selection problem for many people.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
chicane said:
A.Gilchrist (wk)
V.Sehwag
S.Tendulkar
R.Ponting (c)
D.Jones
C.Cairns
M.Bevan
L.Klusener
W.Akram
G.McGrath
M.Muralitharan
Its probably a bit too early to start to put Sehwag in best ODI XI's just yet IMO given he has yet to play 100 ODI's.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
a massive zebra said:
Andy Symonds????

I always believe that my team could very well be the strongest ODI team since its very balanced. Usually in this process I pick the players with the highest peaks and long consistency. Take Viv Richards who peaked the highest in ODI cricket.

As for Andy Symonds, I always like to add in a wild card there, in the past two years Andy Symonds is a changed man. His stats in the past 26 months are :

Player Inns NO 50s 100s HS Aggr Avg
1 D S Lehmann (AUS) 20 6 3 2 119 725 51.79
2 J H Kallis (SAF) 42 9 11 4 139 1703 51.61
3 S R Tendulkar (IND) 46 5 11 6 152 2065 50.37
4 R R Sarwan (WIN) 46 12 9 2 104 1696 49.88
5 C H Gayle (WIN) 50 3 11 7 153 2247 47.81
6 A Symonds (AUS) 37 9 8 1 143 1337 47.75
7 M L Hayden (AUS) 56 9 12 3 146 2217 47.17
8 H H Streak (ZIM) 31 13 7 0 72 840 46.67
9 Yousuf Youhana (PAK) 58 9 18 3 141 2206 45.02
10 Yasir Hameed (PAK) 29 1 9 2 127 1258 44.93

I tend to be a lil biased in picking Symonds in that he belongs to a winning team, while Cairns or Inzamam Ul Haq don't.

Scallywag

Banned
England have not been represented in any of the best ever ODI teams.

West Indies, South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, India, Pakistan and Australia are all represented with a good mix.

tooextracool

International Coach
Ford_GTHO351 said:
There is no question about Rhodes fielding as its very good.

But the problem is that perhaps people would find it hard to find a spot for him in their side because he batted most times (90 innings) at No.5 in his ODI career. Now Michael Bevan has to be the first player picked in any best ODI XI so he would probably be best suited at No.5. You would also want to have your top four batsmen averaging more than Rhodes (35.11). So where do you play Rhodes, at No.6 or do you put an all rounder in at No.6? Now that would pose a selection problem for many people.
one thing that you havent considered is that rhodes is an all rounder. he averages 35 with the bat but he saves about 10-15 runs in the field and pulls of quite a few stunning catches. thats as good as any bowler can give you. he was also a master motivator, ask any South african that and they'll tell you.
+ if you have gilchrist opening the batting, theres always the place for a 'normal' all rounder at 7 or 8.
and even if you still cant fit him into you're 11 then theres always no 12 and i dont think you'll ever find a better 12th man.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_GTHO351
"There is no question about Rhodes fielding as its very good.

But the problem is that perhaps people would find it hard to find a spot for him in their side because he batted most times (90 innings) at No.5 in his ODI career. Now Michael Bevan has to be the first player picked in any best ODI XI so he would probably be best suited at No.5. You would also want to have your top four batsmen averaging more than Rhodes (35.11). So where do you play Rhodes, at No.6 or do you put an all rounder in at No.6? Now that would pose a selection problem for many people. "

I too thought about that. Which is why I pushed Andy Symonds in my reserve list.

The thing about Rhodes was that he could really make the difference. The toughest position in Limited Overs Cricket is the backward point or some way along the Covers, and Rhodes could stop an 15-20 on a consistent basis.

There is a statistical rumour that when Tendulkar gets out the average Indian score is 30 runs less, when Rhodes ain't playing the score is usually 15 -20 runs more.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
twctopcat said:
I thought of Jonty but put in Lloyd instead for 12th man. Awesome captain, fielder and batsmen, just awesome.
Clive Lloyd's ODI Batting & fielding Record
87 Matches, 1977 runs@ 39.54, SR: 81.22, Ct: 39 (average of 0.448 catches per match)

Jonty Rhodes ODI Batting & fielding Record
245 Matches, 5935 runs@ 35.11, SR: 80.91, Ct: 105 (average of 0.428 catches per match)

Well if I had to choose whether to pick Lloyd or Rhodes as 12th Man, I would probably go for Rhodes as he has performed just about as well as Lloyd over a much longer ODI career. I also think that Rhodes was a better fielder than Lloyd.