• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Run Out

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you constantly risk the quick single, eventually one fielder is going to nail the quick pick up and throw and catch you short.
I'd wager that a rather small percentage of run-outs are caused by this.

To my eye a large majority of run outs, in Tests are least, seem to occur when the batsmen disagree over whether there's a run there. The disagreement can result in anything from a horrendous mix-up to one batsmen just being slightly slow off the mark, but both can result in run-outs where the batsmen just taking off immediately wouldn't have.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I've never had much of a problem with Run-Outs during my career.

My view was plain and simple. When I yell ' No ' and if you still run, I'm staying put at my end.

I recall an instance when a partner wanted to run at everything. Once, I sent him back and as soon as he re-gained his crease, the fielders throw came crashing onto his stumps.
He never made a peep after that.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quick singles in test matches are dumb
Not sure if srs

I mean, so's your face

Risk Management. In all sports. As in life. Should I go for it ? or Not ? Should I race thru the red light and gain a few seconds ? And run the risk of a crash ?. Or stop.

My point is there are warranted Run-Outs and there are unwarranted Run-Outs.

I have no qualms with the former.

But the latter is a matter of indecisiveness and desperation.
You're losing the psychological battle when you scrounge for scraps - a measly run here or there.
And when you do get Run-Out, it depresses you/team morale and uplifts your opponents.
You've gotten yourself or your partner out, not necessarily due to your opponents bowling skill, but due to your own fault.

A good batsman could attain more runs by staying at the crease (~ 20+ runs - more in partnership), whereas risky running would gain them much less ( ~ 10- runs)
This is where you're making assumptions, and probably wrong. If you cut out all "risky running" you'd probably leave a lot more runs out there than run outs would cost you. Hence why you do it.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I'm not saying to cut out all ' risky running ', only those that are not warranted.

For example, Pujara who has been run out a number of times in the past, took a risky run with Kohli in the 2nd Test vs Eng and got run out again.
I cannot see him taking 10 risky runs and getting away with it, but I could see him adding much more than that had he not got himself run out.

Same too with Root and Curran in the 4th Test when they had time on their hands (a full 5th day) and the game in balance

Engle

State Vice-Captain
The funniest Run-Out I have encountered in my playing dayz was when the non-striker came running to my crease when I had not even touched the ball.
I had left the ball which went straight to the 'keeper, who was standing far back because of the speed of the fast bowler. The non-striker thought he could sneak in a measly run and paid the price for that.

Now, I see in the Inzi Youtube, the non-striker go one better. He runs to the strikers crease when Inzi has been hurt and writhing in pain on the grass. How brilliant is this ? :blink:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How do you judge 'not warranted'? Pujara is bad running between the wickets, we know that. Is he just supposed to run on the easiest of singles? It's pretty hard to get around the fact that the more runs you run the more runs you'll score. And so many times the run could be made if someone hadn't screwed up. Are partners supposed to anticipate each other's screw ups?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why do batsmen sometimes leave the ball on the stumps? I don't get it. If the ball is close to the stumps why don't they just play at it so they don't get bowled?

same thing. People aren't robots who judge everything perfectly, instantly. Run outs happen.

the big bambino

International Captain
Exactly. The concept of unwarranted run is so subjective that it has no meaning or definition that can be applied when making decisions. Also if you are a player who likes to rotate the strike and build confidence early in your innings the last thing you need at the other end is a run snob saying quick singles are dumb. That sort of a partner is basically saying they don't care about you or the team. What's the bet they'd be keen for their own singles when on strike, especially facing a challenging over.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Exactly. The concept of unwarranted run is so subjective that it has no meaning or definition that can be applied when making decisions. Also if you are a player who likes to rotate the strike and build confidence early in your innings the last thing you need at the other end is a run snob saying quick singles are dumb. That sort of a partner is basically saying they don't care about you or the team. What's the bet they'd be keen for their own singles when on strike, especially facing a challenging over.
I think you've missed the point and taken off into a tangent

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Why do batsmen sometimes leave the ball on the stumps? I don't get it. If the ball is close to the stumps why don't they just play at it so they don't get bowled?

same thing. People aren't robots who judge everything perfectly, instantly. Run outs happen.
Well that's why run-outs and having the ball crash on your stumps is so hilarious. They're not exactly success stories.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
How do you judge 'not warranted'? Pujara is bad running between the wickets, we know that. Is he just supposed to run on the easiest of singles? It's pretty hard to get around the fact that the more runs you run the more runs you'll score. And so many times the run could be made if someone hadn't screwed up. Are partners supposed to anticipate each other's screw ups?
Pujara made a bad judgement call and Kohli could have stopped him.