• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Ever Players

PY

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
Flintoff, Dawson, Simon Jones and Harmison had never done anything in first-class cricket when they got selected. Vaughan, Collingwood and Afzaal had a FC average of under 30 when first selected.
Add Jimmy Anderson to that as well. I think I'm right in saying that Trescothick's domestic record wasn't astounding when he was picked either.

Fletcher likes picking people who he sees have the ability rather than able to dominate the CC.

Craig

World Traveller
Jones and Harmison are starting or trying to truely establish themselves at Test level. Flintoff is ok, but not what I call anything special as a Test cricketer. Dawson did nothing.

Afzaal never really took his chances. Vaughan has shown his class as a Test cricketer, Collingwood is just starting his.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Did the Maharajah ever play a Test?

IIRC He captained the Indians on their first tour of India but didn't play a Test.
I was previously under the impression that countries can't tour themselves, but that's just changed.

IMO, Rich Dawson.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Flintoff is ok, but not what I call anything special as a Test cricketer.

Conveniently ignoring his performances of the past 12 months (averaging 37.88 with the bat and 37 with the ball isn't that bad an effort when you look at the bowling role he has.)

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
And as a result our team is performing better...
Hardly. They have only ever beaten Bangladesh in an ODI series away from home under his leadership, and before the Bangladesh tour had only won 3 of the last 12 Test series.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's not all ODI's - did our test team not just win in the Windies, did they not just draw with SA.

Have they not won in Pakistan and SL since he took over?

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
did our test team not just win in the Windies
The West Indies batting was so poor that England should have beaten them irrespective of the coach, yet they failed to come home victorious in the ODIs.

marc71178 said:
Have they not won in Pakistan and SL since he took over?
Yes but that was 3 years ago and our performance last time we were in Sri Lanka suggests we have gone backwards.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
The West Indies batting was so poor that England should have beaten them irrespective of the coach, yet they failed to come home victorious in the ODIs.
dont be ridiculous...the WI ODI batting is pretty impressive, and how many of those games were determined by the toss?
our ODI side is inexperienced and when we have pieterson in and clarke out it will be a difficult side to beat

a massive zebra

International Captain
tooextracool said:
our ODI side is inexperienced and when we have pieterson in and clarke out it will be a difficult side to beat
Fletcher will probably persist with Clarke and not call up Pieterson. He takes no notice of how well people do in County cricket. Look at Saggers who has been outstanding for years without recognition while Giles is a joke but keeps his place.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
a massive zebra said:

Yes but that was 3 years ago and our performance last time we were in Sri Lanka suggests we have gone backwards.
I think some people would be happier if we lost every game by an innings.

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
Fletcher will probably persist with Clarke and not call up Pieterson. He takes no notice of how well people do in County cricket. Look at Saggers who has been outstanding for years without recognition while Giles is a joke but keeps his place.
you're kidding me....pieterson is almost a prodigy, one of the best we've seen on the county circuit since...well hick, and fletcher is probably crossing off the days on his calendar for when pieterson becomes available.
as far as giles is concerned...find me a better spinner in all of england!

a massive zebra

International Captain
tooextracool said:
you're kidding me....pieterson is almost a prodigy, one of the best we've seen on the county circuit since...well hick, and fletcher is probably crossing off the days on his calendar for when pieterson becomes available.
as far as giles is concerned...find me a better spinner in all of england!
Jason Brown is much better but Fletcher will not pick him because he cannot bat. A very naive attitude. What use is 10-15 runs if you can consistently get 2-3 wickets per match more.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I can Imagine Vaughan/Hussain/Atherton being very very disappointed with some of the selections in recent years... It must be frustrating being in a good team who have to carry "passengers" a lot of the time.. (Im making a direct reference to the likes of Dawson, McGrath, Clarke etc)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
a massive zebra said:
Jason Brown is much better but Fletcher will not pick him because he cannot bat. A very naive attitude. What use is 10-15 runs if you can consistently get 2-3 wickets per match more.
Jason Brown gets to play at Northampton every other game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:

And you can prove he'll consistently get 2-3 wickets more than Giles in all conditions?

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
And you can prove he'll consistently get 2-3 wickets more than Giles in all conditions?
You can't prove it but he deserves a chance and Giles has been next to useless. How can you decide if Brown will deliver at test level if he has never played a test? He maybe 29, which isn't young, but that doesn't qualify him as a geriatric either. He has good 7-8 years in his body and spinners only get better with age. Fletcher will not pick a spinner unless he can bat. Brown won't do that - though picking a bowler to bowl, rather than bat is a feasible suggestion to me.