• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Ever Players

tooextracool

International Coach
Andre said:
rikki clarke(ENG) - Did some good things in his 2 Tests to date
marke alleyne(ENG) - Good enough to win an ODI man-of-the-match, a worthy international
ed giddins(ENG) - Played 3 Tests and averaged around 18 with the ball. Not the worst.
james ormond(ENG) - Has still got the talent, just needs the disipline and to stay injury-free.
warren hegg(ENG) - Excellent gloveman.
alistair brown(ENG) - Has an ODI century.
shane watson(AUS) - He's good enough, certainly not the worst.
brendon julian(AUS) - Was a worthy ODI player at the time.
gavin robertson(AUS) - Never let anyone down when he played Test cricket.
justin kemp(SA) - Has the talent, but something is missing upstairs.
rikki clarke- i was proud of his performances in those 2 tests.....against bangladesh(btw his average was 32 which isnt what you would call good either)!!i think his performances in ODIs have justified how good a player he really is.
mark alleyne - he only had 3 problems...he couldnt bat, he couldnt bowl and when i saw him make 3 dives to stop a cricket ball that was only half way to the boundary i came to the conclusion that he couldnt field either.
ed giddins - not surprisingly 2 of those test maches came against zimbabwe, after which he got hammered against the WI.
james ormond- i think the fact that he averages 92.50 says a lot.oh and i dont care what he has done in domestic cricket.
warren hegg - perhaps he wasnt such a bad glovesman but as a batsman he was pathetic
alistair brown- was just a disgraceful player,maybe he shouldnt have been on the list but i just couldnt resist
shane watson - no technique and he could barely land the ball on the stumps
brendon julian - averaged 13 with the bat and 45 with the ball. he bowled more wides than overs.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
England have a monopoly on the worst cricketer.
not really, its just that since i happen to follow english cricket i could easily pick out all their bad players....pakistan and sri lanka have a bad player in their side everyday but since i dont remember half their names i havent posted any of them

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some more NZers:

Robert Kennedy - I remember one over he bowled in an ODI that had a ridiculous number of wides.

Andrew Penn - same as above (although I'm sure he was better than he ever showed at international level)

Heath Davis - sure, he was fast, but usually provided the bulk of the extras.

Carl Bulfin - a good Cricket Max player, but why that made the selectors think he would do well in the 99 WC I'll never know.

Craig Cumming - although to be fair he did show some ability in his last couple of games before being replaced by Papps.

Grant Bradburn - for a while the selectors regarded him as 2nd best spinner in the country behind Vettori...how embarrassing!

I think you are being a bit harsh on M.Bell, he did score a test century.

Jayzamann

International Regular
tooextracool said:
ian austin(ENG)
matthew maynard(ENG)
richard dawson(ENG)
gareth batty(ENG)
rikki clarke(ENG)
marke alleyne(ENG)
ed giddins(ENG)
ian salisbury(ENG)
james ormond(ENG)
warren hegg(ENG)
anthony mcgrath(ENG)
alistair brown(ENG)
ian ward(ENG)
Sheesh... I guess England has a knack for finding dud talent. :p

bennyr

U19 12th Man
I think Mike Brearley deserves an honourable mention here.

An outstanding captain, but in terms of ability to play the game...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
bennyr said:
I think Mike Brearley deserves an honourable mention here.

An outstanding captain, but in terms of ability to play the game...
Granted, his Test record wasn't that hot, but 25,000 FC runs with 45 100s and 134 50s and a HS of 312* means he must be capable of doing something right..

a massive zebra

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Granted, his Test record wasn't that hot, but 25,000 FC runs with 45 100s and 134 50s and a HS of 312* means he must be capable of doing something right..
Yes he batted very defensively at Test level and was largely unsuccessful. He allowed himself to play a more fluent game at FC level and was far more triumphant. Reminds me of Mark Ramprakash who dominates at FC level but got bogged down in Tests and was, like Brearley, far less successful in this higher form of the game.

Obviously Brearley was far more intelligent than Ramprakash and one of Englands best ever captains.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

I don't think Ian Ward is anywhere near as bad a player as people make out. Yes, he wasn't the most successful in Tests, but the Aussies aren't the easiest of opposition are they? Also, he clearly had a technical issue with his grip that season, which was getting him out consistently. I consider him a good player still, especially as I've heard he's sorted out his grip since.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Scallywag said:
But what excuses have the England selectors got.
The same as just about any other cricket side that chooses players who just don't work out. The English selectors don't purposely choose bad players. Like any other panel, they choose players who show that they may succeed at the highest level and put them in there. Should they backfire, unfortunate but not the fault of the selectors for trying.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I don't think Ian Ward is anywhere near as bad a player as people make out. Yes, he wasn't the most successful in Tests, but the Aussies aren't the easiest of opposition are they? Also, he clearly had a technical issue with his grip that season, which was getting him out consistently. I consider him a good player still, especially as I've heard he's sorted out his grip since.
That also as an opener picked to bat in the middle order. I didnt think Robert Key isnt all that bad.

An opener again picked to bat in the middle order, has an execellent technique and handled Shane Warne pretty well, unfortunatly he tends to lose concentration and throws it away and lacks confidence. He got dismissed to Damien Martyn at Perth, but be fair to him it was probably rank up there as one of the best balls Martyn has bowled in Test and FC cricket :p

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im going to defend Craig Cumming. I believe the selectors can be blamed entirely for that fiasco.

If you look at Cummings domestic stats, he averages near 40 in FC cricket & just over 18 I think in OD's...yet the selectors for some crazy reason believed he would be better suited to ODI's.

He's technically quite a good player & I hope his failed ODI experiment doesn't cost him the chance of playing test cricket...although I think it has considering he missed out playing for NZ 'A'.

He's a nice bloke & i admired how he went & congratulated Papps on the field during the Nth/Sth match when they showed that Papps had made the ODI side ahead of him on the big-screen.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
but i think you should know that we can only look at players from their performances in test cricket, not what they do in domestic cricket. if they happened to be selected to play for their country then obviously they must have done something right in domestic cricket and that doesnt make them so bad and we'd have to look at the worst domestic players. from what i saw of ward at test level the aussies made him look like a school boy, he got more chances than he should have IMO.

a massive zebra

International Captain
tooextracool said:
if they happened to be selected to play for their country then obviously they must have done something right in domestic cricket and that doesnt make them so bad
Flintoff, Dawson, Simon Jones and Harmison had never done anything in first-class cricket when they got selected. Vaughan, Collingwood and Afzaal had a FC average of under 30 when first selected.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
but i think you should know that we can only look at players from their performances in test cricket, not what they do in domestic cricket. if they happened to be selected to play for their country then obviously they must have done something right in domestic cricket and that doesnt make them so bad and we'd have to look at the worst domestic players. from what i saw of ward at test level the aussies made him look like a school boy, he got more chances than he should have IMO.
I've seen Lara look like a schoolboy against the Aussies. They aren't the easiest of opposition. Also, as was mentioned, he was picked out of position.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I've seen Lara look like a schoolboy against the Aussies. They aren't the easiest of opposition. Also, as was mentioned, he was picked out of position.
as i said, i can only look at performances at test match level. from what i saw of ward he looked absolutely appaling and deserved to be on that list. if he does ever play for england and proves me wrong then i will change my opinion. as far as lara is concerned, if lara had only played one series against australia, and was made to look as bad as ward, i would put him on that list too.