• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web chooses the worst test pace bowler ever

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As some of you may have noticed, mr_mister has been doing a sterling job with his threads where we vote for the best of a certain category of cricketer. And while this celebration of excellence is all well and good, I feel like there's something missing. What about those cricketers who have entertained us, not with their greatness, but with their incompetence? Who's looking out for not just the highlights, but for the lowlights too? Wait no more, for here is your chance to vote for the worst pace bowler ever.

Your criteria are your own. Do you vote for Johnny Warr, whose average of 281 is the worst for any test pace bowler, ever? Perhaps a single test disaster will tickle your fancy, like Tony Pigott whose unexpected callup had him conceding four an over on a pitch where England failed to reach double figures twice? Or perhaps you prefer sustained lack of excellence, I which case may I present Rubel Hossain, whose bowling average after 26 matches is reaching nearly Bradmanesque heights? What about those who flatter to deceive, like Mohammad Sami, a man with all the pace and swing, and an average of 53 to go with it? Or one of those where you can't work out why they kept picking them, like Daren Powell who was responsible for one of crickets greatest comedy moments, but seriously, the team that once boasted Marshal, Holding and Garner was reduced to that level? But then again, they had Patterson Thompson. You Indian fans out there would certainly know a few of the shorter spokes on the wheel, perhaps someone like David Johnson is worthy of the accolade. Or you might like to reach back in time and pick someone like Des Hoare, who most of you will never have heard of, let alone seen, but who I once ran across in a worst Aus XI posted by as esteemed a member as Burgey. Speaking of Australians, Chris Matthews is worth a shout too, picked due that misleading post-Lillee impression that WA produces good players, when it in fact doesn't. Of course, there's also England in the late eighties or the nineties, but that's too deep a black hole for me to explore right now. But to talk of England, there is always Sajid Mahmoud. So get listing your candidates.
The main conditions here are that the bowlers in question must have been picked for their bowling, and must bowl pace. Do your research, go to as much depth as you can, try to tease out the truly rubbish from the merely poor.

With that post your list of who you consider to be the 20* worst pace bowlers pace bowlers ever to grace a test match, in order. Nominations will remain open until about Friday the 31st, or longer if I forget about this thread (or shorter if I lack self-control) with rankings and write-ups (I may need some help with those) posted in due course.

So, who is the ultimate merchant of muck, the biggest purveyor of piss? It's up to you all to decide.

*If 20's too onerous vote for 15 and I'll sort it out somehow.

Some suggestions:

Australia: Chris Matthews, John Hastings, Des Hoare, Harry Alexander, Brad Wiliams, Mervyn Waite, Dave Gilbert, John Watkins, Alan Thomson, Shaun Tait, Charlie MacLeod

Bangladesh: Rubel Hossain, Kamrul Islam Rabbi, Rubel Hossain, Shahadat Hossain, Mohammad Sharif, Tapash Baisya, Manjural Islam, Rubel Hossain

England: Sajid Mahmood, Harry Howell, Abe Waddington, Aggers, Ian Thomson, The 90s in general, Martin McCague, Johnny Warr

India: David Johnson, Debashish Mohanty, Atul Wassan, Harvinder Singh, BS Sandhu, Vinay Kumar, VRV Singh, Tinu Yohannan, Dodda Ganesh, Paras Mhambrey, Sanjeev Sharma

New Zealand: Murray Webb, Geoff Allott, Chris Pringle, Brent Arnel, Chris Harris

Pakistan: Mohammad Sami, Bilawal Bhatti, Mohammad Talha

South Africa: Dewald Pretorius, Charl Willoughby

Sri Lanka: Pramodya Wickramesinghe, Ravindran Pushpakumara, Charitha Buddhika, ASA Perera, Eric Upashantha, Chamila Gamage, Hasantha Fernando, Lahiru Gamage

West Indies: Patterson Thompson, Daren Powell, Uton Dowe, Ian Bradshaw, Prof Edwards

Zimbabwe: Mluleki Nkala

And lots more a few pages either side of here: Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rubel
Salisbury
Sami

Bottom-most tier, for me as opposed to:

Marshall
McGrath
Hadlee

Starfighter

I've made the vital details in the instructions bigger, this start's as dire as the bowling.

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You need to set some sort of critera. 50 wickets? 10 matches? >35 average?

What of Bilawal Bhatti and others who got disposed of quickly? Or Ishant who is on his way to becoming the worst to play 100 tests?

Starfighter

You need to set some sort of critera. 50 wickets? 10 matches? >35 average?

What of Bilawal Bhatti and others who got disposed of quickly? Or Ishant who is on his way to becoming the worst to play 100 tests?
You can go for any of those if you wish. Just make it a list, and probably don't feature 'leg spinner' Salisbury. I certainly won't accept anyone averaging under 30, but go for Ishant if you wanna, I trash him enough on here. But one test wonders such as Vinay Kumar are just as welcome, though I do prefer picks who have played a few tests, they give time to impress their badness. But they must have been picked for their bowling, Sunny Gavaskar doesn't count.

Last edited:

Starfighter

1: Rubel Hossain
2: Johnny Warr
3: Chris Harris
4: Chris Matthews
5: Mohammad Sami
6: Daren Powell
7: Manjural Islam
8: Debashish Mohanty
9: David Johnson
10: Kamrul Islam Rabbi
11: Lahiru Gamage
12: Mluleki Nkala
13: Brent Arnel
14: Chris Pringle
15: Harry Howell
16: Martin McCague
17: Murray Webb
18: Mervyn Waite
19: Uton Dowe
20: Mohammad Sharif

Main criteria: ones which stick in my mind as being really ****e. Lengthiness of ****eness has been somewhat rewarded. I eased up on the Bangladeshis, there's a lot worth picking.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Mohammad Sharif has a similar record to Rubel although admittedly he played significantly fewer games. Tapash Baisya and Manjural Islam were also totally out of their depth at the international level.

Charlie McLeod's average of 40 and strike rate of 102 might not strike one as absolutely abysmal, but in the context of the much lower scoring era in which he played, it was distinctly poor.

Last edited: