• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW chooses the best test spinner ever (50 names, but you only submit a list of 20)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First up an apology to Red Hill, who I said could run this one. I've decided I really enjoy doing these and would like to finish what I started. You're welcome to submit a bunch of write-ups for players(in fact anyone is welcome to) and I'll do the hard yards tallying the votes.

Now, I've taken *****'s advice and just compiled a comprehensive list of names. I gathered a nice even number of 50 from nearly all test nations. I didn't choose many active players, but for those who have had a substantial test career Ive allowed entry.

From these 50 names you only submit your top 20. Every single player who earns a point will end up making the final countdown list, so the amount of players on that list is up in the air, it might end up anywhere from 20 to 50.

Now I've arranged the list of players first by country, then by chronological order. I can't really think of any essential names missing. If I'm wrong do say so, but realistically if the player you want included has no chance of a respectable finish, don't bother.

Edit- I couldn't limit to exactly 50 so just submit your own personal top 20. This list can just be to help people jog their memory. I assume we won't get too many names not found on this list but if someone on your top 20 isn't from the below list more power to you.

Billy Bates
Johnny Briggs
Bobby Peel
Wilfred Rhodes
Colin Blythe
Bernard Bosanquet
Tich Freeman
Hedley Verity
Jim Laker
Johnny Wardle
Tony Lock
Fred Titmus
Ray Illingworth
Derek Underwood
Phil Tufnell
Graeme Swann

Hugh Trumble
Arthur Mailey
Clarrie Grimmett
Bert Ironmonger
Bill O’Reilly
Chuck Fleetwood-Smith
Jack Iverson
Richie Benaud
Ashley Mallett
Shane Warne
Stuart MacGill
Nathan Lyon

Bert Vogler
Aubrey Faulkner
Hugh Tayfield
Paul Adams

Alf Valentine
Sonny Ramadhin
Lance Gibbs

Vinoo Mankad
Subhash Gupte
Bapu Nadkarni
Erapalli Prasanna
Bhagwat Chandrasekhar
Srinivas Venkataraghavan
Bishen Bedi
Dilip Doshi
Anil Kumble
Harbhajan Singh
Ravi Ashwin
Ravi Jadeja

Abdul Qadir
Mushtaq Ahmed
Saqlain Mushtaq
Saeed Ajmal
Yasir Shah

Daniel Vettori

Muttiah Muralitharan
Rangana Herath

Shakib Al-Hasan

Happy voting!

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. Warne
2. O'Reilly
3. Muralitharan
4. Laker
5. MacGill
6. Ashwin
7. Ironmonger
8. Grimmett
9. Lock
10. Benaud
11. Gibbs
12. Bedi
13. Saqlain
14. Mallett
15. Chandrasekhar
16. Kumble
17. Abdul Qadir
18. Swann
19. Iverson
20. Mushtaq Ahmed

Did my best however my knowledge of some of the older spinners is lacking

edit: put the numbers in

Last edited:

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
1.Bill O’Reilly
2.Shane Warne
3.Clarrie Grimmett
4.Muttiah Muralitharin
5.Richie Benaud
6.Hedley Verity
7.Bishen Bedi
8.Bhagwat Chandrasekhar
9.Rangana Herath
10.Wilfred Rhodes
11.Jim Laker
12.Lance Gibbs
13.Abdul Qadir
14.Hugh Tayfield
15.Anil Kumble
16.Johnny Briggs
17.Johnny Wardle
18.Erapali Prasanna
19.Bert Vogler
20.Hugh Trumble

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah boy!

Should CTB Turner really be in this discussion tho? Cricinfo lists him as a medium-fast bowler.

mr_mister

Yeah boy!

Should CTB Turner really be in this discussion tho? Cricinfo lists him as a medium-fast bowler.
Have swapped him for Ray Illingworth. I know little about the pre 1900 bowlers and Turner's last name tricked me

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah boy!

Yeah if Barnes was in the fast bowlers list Turner definitely shouldn't be in this one. I don't think any cricket historians have even tried to argue Turner was anything other than a seamer.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Muttiah Muralitharan
Shane Warne
Bill O'Reilly
Clarrie Grimmet
Jim Laker

Hugh Tayfield
Hedley Verity
Hugh Trumble
Rangana Herath
R Ashwin

Anil Kumble
Saqlain Mushtaq
Derek Underwood
Richie Benaud
Bhagwat Chandrashekhar

Erapalli Prasanna
Bishen Bedi
Abdul Qadir
Lance Gibbs
Bobby Peel

After top 5, I really don't have a firm opinion on ranking of spinners. So this list is much more likely to change everyday than the one I submitted for fast bowlers.

Last edited:

KRIS 148

School Boy/Girl Captain
First up an apology to Red Hill, who I said could run this one. I've decided I really enjoy doing these and would like to finish what I started. You're welcome to submit a bunch of write-ups for players(in fact anyone is welcome to) and I'll do the hard yards tallying the votes.

Now, I've taken *****'s advice and just compiled a comprehensive list of names. I gathered a nice even number of 50 from nearly all test nations. I didn't choose many active players, but for those who have had a substantial test career(and are definitely in the back half) I've allowed entry.

From these 50 names you only submit your top 20. Every single player who earns a point will end up making the final countdown list, so the amount of players on that list is up in the air, it might end up anywhere from 20 to 50.

Now I've arranged the list of players first by country, then by chronological order. I can't really think of any essential names missing. If I'm wrong do say so, but realistically if the player you want included has no chance of a respectable finish, don't bother.

Billy Bates
Johnny Briggs
Bobby Peel
Wilfred Rhodes
Colin Blythe
Bernard Bosanquet
Tich Freeman
Hedley Verity
Jim Laker
Johnny Wardle
Tony Lock
Fred Titmus
Ray Illingworth
Derek Underwood
Graeme Swann

Arthur Mailey
Clarrie Grimmett
Bert Ironmonger
Bill O’Reilly
Chuck Fleetwood-Smith
Jack Iverson
Richie Benaud
Ashley Mallett
Shane Warne
Stuart MacGill
Nathan Lyon

Bert Vogler
Aubrey Faulkner
Hugh Tayfield

Alf Valentine
Sonny Ramadhin
Lance Gibbs

Vinoo Mankad
Subhash Gupte
Bapu Nadkarni
Erapalli Prasanna
Bhagwat Chandrasekhar
Srinivas Venkataraghavan
Bishen Bedi
Anil Kumble
Harbhajan Singh
Ravi Ashwin

Abdul Qadir
Mushtaq Ahmed
Saqlain Mushtaq
Saeed Ajmal

Daniel Vettori

Muttiah Muraliatharan
Rangana Herath

Shakib Al-Hasan

Happy voting!

KRIS 148

School Boy/Girl Captain
Warne
O'Reilly
Grimmet
Murali
Laker
Vettori
Trumble
Herath
MacGill
Mushtaq
Bishen Bedi
Kumble
Ashwin
Harbhajan
Benaud
Gibbs
Lyon
Mallett
Qadir
Mushtaq Ahmed

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
01. Shane Warne
02. Muttiah Muralitharan
03. Bill O'Reilly
04. Clarrie Grimmett
05. Derek Underwood
06. Jim Laker
07. Hugh Tayfield
08. Hedley Verity
09. Hugh Trumble
10. Johnny Wardle
11. Erapalli Prasanna
12. Johnny Briggs
13. Subhash Gupte
14. Anil Kumble
15. Colin Blythe
16. Lance Gibbs
17. Rangana Herath
18. Abdul Qadir
19. Stuart MacGill
20. Bhagwat Chandrashekhar

The first 10 were pretty straightforward but I struggled with the last 10. On a different day I would rate 11-20 differently I reckon.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah if Barnes was in the fast bowlers list Turner definitely shouldn't be in this one. I don't think any cricket historians have even tried to argue Turner was anything other than a seamer.
Please cast your vote. Use your standardized averages may be :)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually Hugh Trumble is a good call Himannv. Any chance we can squeeze him into the OP MM?

Edit: Pervez Sajjad & Somachandra de Silva too perhaps?

Last edited:

mr_mister

01. Shane Warne
02. Muttiah Muralitharan
03. Bill O'Reilly
04. Clarrie Grimmett
05. Derek Underwood
06. Jim Laker
07. Hugh Tayfield
08. Hedley Verity
09. Hugh Trumble
10. Johnny Wardle
11. Erapalli Prasanna
12. Johnny Briggs
13. Subhash Gupte
14. Anil Kumble
15. Colin Blythe
16. Lance Gibbs
17. Rangana Herath
18. Abdul Qadir
19. Stuart MacGill
20. Bhagwat Chandrashekhar

The first 10 were pretty straightforward but I struggled with the last 10. On a different day I would rate 11-20 differently I reckon.
**** I forgot Hugh Trumble from my original list. Dammit

Oh well may as well throw out the 50 name rule now.

People can just submit their own personal top 20, I added Trumble and a few others to that first post which can just be a useful pool of names. I assume we'll still get a manageable number of names in the end

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow and then vote from whatever the pool in the OP has grown to in that time. :laugh: