• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pommies could rattle Aussies: Waugh

Slow Love™

International Captain
tooextracool said:
can you predict what will happen one year later??would you have predicted in 2002 after india were completely hammered in NZ that they would dominate australia in australia?some people just post for the hell of it!
'Cause it's not like this thread is asking us to predict what is going to happen in a year, or anything. 8-)

I still expect Australia to win in '05, although it's possible it won't be as absolutely comfortable as it has been over the last decade and a half or so. IMO, the English batting still looks very thin comparitive to the Aussies, and although Harmison and Hoggard did well in the W.I., I'm not quite convinced of their world-beater status yet (although it is quite possible (as some have pointed out) that by then, the Aussie bowlers won't be earthshaking either).

Seems like a year before the Ashes, we always get a big upsurge in English breastbeating, and then all that newfound optimism seems to dissipate before the series has even started. But if they could get off to a good start, you never know.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slow Love™ said:
'Cause it's not like this thread is asking us to predict what is going to happen in a year, or anything. 8-)

I still expect Australia to win in '05, although it's possible it won't be as absolutely comfortable as it has been over the last decade and a half or so. IMO, the English batting still looks very thin comparitive to the Aussies, and although Harmison and Hoggard did well in the W.I., I'm not quite convinced of their world-beater status yet (although it is quite possible (as some have pointed out) that by then, the Aussie bowlers won't be earthshaking either).

Seems like a year before the Ashes, we always get a big upsurge in English breastbeating, and then all that newfound optimism seems to dissipate before the series has even started. But if they could get off to a good start, you never know.
A lot of sense in what you're saying, although as far as the breastbeating is concerned, you seem to be confusing the normal, knowledgable supporter with reporters on tabloid newspapers who wouldn't know a popping crease from their elbow.

I'm just waitling for the top 6 seam bowlers to all get injured.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sanz said:
I am sorry If I have offended anyone. I am not a racist person and dont like reading what I wrote. I will edit my post.
Cheers, Sanz

I didn't think there was any real malice involved.

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
interesting because this is what IMO has cost us big time in many of the past ashes series. australia have always fielded brilliantly while england have dropped sitters. for me the reason why australia are as good as they are is because they take all their catches and pull off a few stunners, so if someone can please inform butcher to start working on his slip catching??
Or rather he be moved. It is as simple as that. Problem is who replaces him?

I think the 3rd man position should be considered a lot more, when you start to move people out of the slips cordon, it saves runs and could pick up a catch or two.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Or rather he be moved. It is as simple as that. Problem is who replaces him?

I think the 3rd man position should be considered a lot more, when you start to move people out of the slips cordon, it saves runs and could pick up a catch or two.
ive seen butcher drop catches all over the field so its not really a case of moving him around. we have 3 decent slippers at the moment, thorpe,tresco and flintoff, so we definetly need one more and i think butcher needs to work on his fielding because hes going to have catches coming his way wherever he goes.

tooextracool

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:

no but i dont see any reason why anyone should make head to head comparisons one year earlier and say that england have absolutely no chance of victory. for 1 our bowling still has to develop and we might just have a really potent bowling lineup by then and 2 we're almost 100% going to have pieterson in our side by then(and hopefully strauss for tresco) so any comparison of hussain vs martyn can be thrown down the drain.