• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pommies could rattle Aussies: Waugh

tooextracool

International Coach
quote from article
"but he admitted after a 3-0 whitewash of the West Indies in the Caribbean under their belts they had become a real force."

how was 3-0 a whitewash?pfft.....amateur

Sudeep

International Captain
As for the main topic, I think England will win 'a Test'.

But realistically speaking, I don't think England can beat the Aussies in a Test series, at least in the forseeable future.

a massive zebra

International Captain
England have no chance unless they find a completely new side.

Hayden vs Trescothick....AUS
Langer vs Vaughan......EVEN
Ponting vs Butcher......AUS
Martyn vs Hussain......AUS
Lehmann vs Thorpe....AUS
Katch vs Flintoff........ENG
Gilchrist vs Jones.......AUS
Warne vs Giles........A joke... :D .....AUS
Lee vs Jones.............AUS
Gillespie vs Hoggard....AUS
McGrath vs Harmison..AUS

Thats a pretty decisive 9-1

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
Let's give these two to England, it is still 8-3 in favor of Australia.

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
England have no chance unless they find a completely new side.

Hayden vs Trescothick....AUS
Ponting vs Butcher......AUS
Martyn vs Hussain......AUS
Lehmann vs Thorpe....AUS
Katch vs Flintoff........ENG
Gilchrist vs Jones.......AUS
Warne vs Giles........A joke... :D .....AUS
Gillespie vs Hoggard....AUS
McGrath vs Harmison..AUS

Thats a pretty decisive 9-1
somehow you find a way to top you're last post...
1)what is the point in comparing players in the same position???if i compared harmison to lee then clearly harmison would be better and england would go one up...this is just ridiculous.
2) how in the world do you know that the english squad is going to be exactly the same in 2005?we're almost certainly going to have pieterson in our side and perhaps strauss or collingwood and that too might change the balance.
3) and since when is lehmann better than thorpe?clearly you dont watch much cricket outside of what murali does

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
After the series is in Australia's favor.
can you predict what will happen one year later??would you have predicted in 2002 after india were completely hammered in NZ that they would dominate australia in australia?some people just post for the hell of it!

PY

International Coach
I'm not so sure about Thorpe and Lehmann in that either.

Stats may not agree but that is my opinion.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
can you predict what will happen one year later??would you have predicted in 2002 after india were completely hammered in NZ that they would dominate australia in australia?some people just post for the hell of it!
No, But this Australian team is too consistent to have an India-like performance against England. And it's not some people, it's just one guy who posts for the heck of it and that guy is you. :p

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Okay take that as well. still 7-4. :happy: ?
so if england can find one more good player..it might be 6-5...and so very close. :D

Actually I do think the next Ashes series will be the closest for a long time...I look forward to Peiterson (sp?) being around,and Strauss playing, Freddie continuing to develop...and I think Mahmood will be knocking on the door as well...and maybe Anderson will get back into form.

Should be good fun!!!!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well for that, they will have to bring back Gooch and Botham. No offence j/k.

Hey I want England to win, but one has to be realistic.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
No, But this Australian team is too consistent to have an India-like performance against England.

If it's inconsistent to have that type of performance once, it could happen again.

That said, injury and vanity cost the Australian's that series IMO.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I think that the Aussies will get up but hope that it will be at least competitive. Teh England side is in its best position in years with the fast bowlers coming through. The batting is still a problem. An earlier post said that greentops should be prepared to expose the techniques of some of teh Aussie batsmen. I don't think that that would work as the techniques of some of the English batsmen are no better (maybe worse). Trescothick wouldn't get a run.

Also don't write off Warne. He looks very fit and even if he bowled badly he would still be better than Giles or Batty. I reserve my judgment on McGrath until I see how he goes after his lay off.

Vaughan is the real deal. He is the best englisg batsman at the moment and presents Australia's biggest hurdle. By next year I would expect Hussain to be out of the picture. Thorpe is handy but I wouldn't rate any of the rest.

Bowling could be England's edge if their current crop of fast bowlers keep improving. Harmison, Hoggard and Jones could be a real handful. They were just too green on their last tour of Australia. Add Anderson to this mix and you've got a good group. Australia will probably have McGrath (if his return is good), Gillespie, Kaspar and Warne. Back up will be Lee (not a good test bowler), Tait and maybe Nicholson and Williams. The depth just isn't what it used to be.

England will be fully ready the next time they come to Australia I think.

Langeveldt

Soutie
3-1 ***Yawn***

However, England will put up a better fight than South Africa will for the forseeable future... They are actually going to self destroy in the insane pressure that they put on themselves... Smith might actually blow up with passion.. and they will get stuffed :huh:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've personally seen all this before i.e. where an English team was alost as strong as an Aussie team (1997 Ashes tour comes to mind).

1997 Ashes teams

Aus

M Elliott
M Taylor
G Blewett
M Waugh
S Waugh
M Bevan (R Ponting for Tests 4, 5 and 6)
I Healy
S Warne
P Reiffel (Kasprowicz)
J Gillespie
G McGrath

Eng

M Butcher
M Atherton
A Stewart
M Hussain
G Thorpe
J Crawley
M Ealham
R Croft
D Gough
A Caddick
D Malcolm

Those sides are pretty even, really. Throw in Dean Headley when he played from the second Test onwards and bowled VERY well (was sad to see him retire, particularly since it was injuries which got him in the end) and Tuffers who won the 6th Test for England and it's no surprise the series was won by the Aussies 3-2. England belted Australia in the first Test, Australia should have won the second at Lords (damn rain), Australia won the 3rd, 4th and 5th Tests easily and England won the 6th in a thriller.

Two things cost England in that series where they had as good a chance as any in recent times; selection policy and inability to absorb the Aussies come-back from the first Test. Check out this scorecard:

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1997/AUS_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/AUS_ENG_T1_05-08JUN1997.html

Caddick took 5-50 in the first dig. Good bowling, right? He was dropped for the fourth Test despite taking more wickets.........the fact he also didn't open the bowling with Gough in any of the Tests despite being England's best bowler to that point also says quite a bit.

That sort of stuff coupled with a few other selection oddities (no Tuffers for the first 5 Tests and Croft kept in the side instead.......interesting) didnt help. Then, when England had all the momentum, McGrath's 8-38 (his best bowling figures and his best bowling in my opinion) did a lot of psychological damage.

So yeah, although the sides are close in pure ability, England will need to lift several cogs in the team department to even compete. If they can, good on them because England are always good to watch when they play as a team. I don't know if I can see them doing it, though.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath and Warne will still be around to crush englands hopes. McGrath claims that he still has his best cricket in fron t of him - hes even back up to 140kph pace...