Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a home

Cricket Spectator

Looking for a home

Hi there

I have been working in professional sports for the best part of my life and after successful career as a player with Leeds FC (no longer in the premiership ) and as manager with Milwall I have turned my hand to my fourth love (behind women and fast cars), cricket. I have recently returned from a stint as player manager of the Riverton Amateur District 4th League Reserve team in a local Perth (Aus) competition. Given my experiences in Perth with cricket, the lifestyle and the ladies I openly encourage my players to do the same in the UK.

I have a young disciple by the name of Thomas (Tommy) 'ansell, particularly keen on player somewhere in the UK. Tommy is stouch left hand opener with some UK experience playing in the Sommerset Haddock and Fries second XII fixture during his junior career. The stats are not important but his value to the team is his ability to 'stick it out' under pressure, and provides useful variety with his mixed-bag, slow right arm thoftbreaks.

I believe that you have the services of a local lad by the name of Shane Lavender at your club? Can you tell me a little about how he was enlisted by your club and his experiences to date so that I may have some success in locating a home for Tommy soonest?

sincerely

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Yorath
    Hi there

I have been working in professional sports for the best part of my life and after successful career as a player with Leeds FC (no longer in the premiership ) and as manager with Milwall
    What years were they?

Anyway welcome aboard.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Terry Yorath was Wales Manager as well.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Spectator

Icon7

Terry
    What an honour to converse with you in such a forum. Your deeds on the football pitch preceed you however I was unaware of your latent passion for our great game. What a co incidence that I have actually witnessed one of the aforementioned teams play whilst on my travels in Perth. I believe they played against a strong outfit known as the Cockburn Cockroaches. On this particular day a potent father / son combination by the names of Chris and Rob Smith performed honourably but failed to get your boys across the line in what was an epic tussle all day. Another youngster of interest was Keith Tipping. Has he developed into a leg break bowler of note in that league? I too as you may have seen in my earlier communique am interested in this young Perth lad named Shane Lavender. When I last saw him he had a solid defensive technique however limited strokeplay. I believe his mentor and coach was this lad from Notts (of whom I am also keen to gain information on) Young Welton. Can you or any other of our learned collegues shed any light on this?
    Yours in cricket
    Haggers

Cricket Spectator
    Haggers

I believe we have crossed paths and possibly swords at one or two Perth late night, filly-infested fixtures? This Keith Tipping to whom you so fondly refer: where might one get in touch with said yoth? He would greatly compliment our current line up and add some stiff competition for a place for said Tommy 'ansell. Do you know of Thomas and his exploits? Your theorems would be gratefully entertained

Kindest regards

TY

Cricket Spectator
    Hello

Just browsing the internet and could not help but noticing a query on the whereabouts of one Tom 'ansell. I believe 'ansell has taken up residence with the WDCC Rats for the past 15 years as a player/coach/mentor offering precisely donoughts to the career development of yoraths at that particular fixture.

I too have heard about Keith Tipping; showed a fair bit of potential under the astute leadership of a Todd P Lavender (if anyone knows of his whereabouts please let me know) in the Thay League of 1996/97. His subsequent career has been chequered to say the least, periods of retirement intertwined with periods of briyence and filth. I believe he is currently wanted for fraud by the NCA after some shady business transactions went pear.

I am on the look out for a new club next year, if anyone is interested please let me know. I am a left arm swing bowler in the mould of Salim Jaffer and effective late order slogger. I learned my craft under the inspired toutelage of one Ian Akram (former Essendon great) and have consumed many libations with his son Norbert, who incidentally is a keen cricketer. A fresh start is what I need so dont hesitate to contact me if you need a henuine rope dawg at your club next summer.

Regards

Yarnos

Cricket Spectator

Enhancement

Dear Mr Theoros,

As head barman of the WDCC and incumbant stalwart at Gosnells Golf Club, I have seen several punishing innings from Ansell in the fourth league. In fact, he challenged the Goat Herder's mantle as leading batsman one year by posting a highly competitive average of 9.37 with a highest score of 17 vs Rockingham Mandurah. This innings was personified by lacing cover drives through third man, stouch nudges through the backward square region and several rather bizarre hand movements. However, if you are an aspiring young thoffy, I suggest you target Ansells weakness against the slow straight break that was exploited so beautifully by my successor behind the WDCC bar, - the chunky woodpacker from Manjimup. With precision and guile the woodpacker pitched a beautifully directed straight back at the base of the off stump and left Ansell high and dry with no where to go. I remember the day as Ansell simply put his head down and walked home (He only lives a cover drive away). Keep up the Thereoms and I just heard that the Goatherder has been spotted on the outskirts of Fallujah.
    Mick the barman

Cricket Spectator

Butter it

Mick

thank you for your recollections of yet another impressive 'Ansell display. His strokeplay is matched only by his people skills.

According to CricInfo the Goat Herder flayed a stimulating 123 in the 2nd innings to spearhead the Fallujah Falcons to victory over the Kabul Kings in the 4th round of the Al-Jazzeria Cup last weekend. On a traditional dusty Kabul track he drove and swept with customary precision to register his 17th hundred for the Falcons. The WDCC are certainly feeling his loss and to this day have not adequately replaced his presence in the fourth league. Numerous yoraths have been tried but none are up to the Goat Herders lofty mark.

Sincerely

Yarnos :

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mick Grager
    Dear Mr Theoros,

As head barman of the WDCC and incumbant stalwart at Gosnells Golf Club, I have seen several punishing innings from Ansell in the fourth league. In fact, he challenged the Goat Herder's mantle as leading batsman one year by posting a highly competitive average of 9.37 with a highest score of 17 vs Rockingham Mandurah. This innings was personified by lacing cover drives through third man, stouch nudges through the backward square region and several rather bizarre hand movements. However, if you are an aspiring young thoffy, I suggest you target Ansells weakness against the slow straight break that was exploited so beautifully by my successor behind the WDCC bar, - the chunky woodpacker from Manjimup. With precision and guile the woodpacker pitched a beautifully directed straight back at the base of the off stump and left Ansell high and dry with no where to go. I remember the day as Ansell simply put his head down and walked home (He only lives a cover drive away). Keep up the Thereoms and I just heard that the Goatherder has been spotted on the outskirts of Fallujah.
    Mick the barman
    Hahaha, brilliant
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Spectator

The Grager Break

To all my loyal supporters out there you will be pleased to know I have developed a lethal new delivery called the Grager Break.

During the course of my delivery stride (For those that don't know I am a useful left arm orthodox bowler) I switch the ball for a FooWin Dim Sim delivering this down at a rate of knots. While the batsman is concentrating on the errand dimsim I slide in my beautifully pitched arm ball rapping the batsman on the pads, leaving the umpire with little hesitation.

The Grager Break will be the next doosra and for those Thindians that regularly frequent this site I reckon the delivery would be equally effective using chicken tikka masala as a decoy.

I have bowled the Goatherder with this ball 3 times to date - prize scalp and confirmation that the Grager Break is the next big thing
    Cheers
    Mick the barman

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mick Grager
    To all my loyal supporters out there you will be pleased to know I have developed a lethal new delivery called the Grager Break.

During the course of my delivery stride (For those that don't know I am a useful left arm orthodox bowler) I switch the ball for a FooWin Dim Sim delivering this down at a rate of knots. While the batsman is concentrating on the errand dimsim I slide in my beautifully pitched arm ball rapping the batsman on the pads, leaving the umpire with little hesitation.

The Grager Break will be the next doosra and for those Thindians that regularly frequent this site I reckon the delivery would be equally effective using chicken tikka masala as a decoy.

I have bowled the Goatherder with this ball 3 times to date - prize scalp and confirmation that the Grager Break is the next big thing
    Cheers
    Mick the barman
    And eddie has some competition....

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    no doubt.. same age group?
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

Pinball Champion!
    Haha... Same drinking group??

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    more like same ward...
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering the life of Phil 'The Prince' Hughes

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    ^ ahah yea that too.. and langs got it right too..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information