• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Looking for a home

Yarnos Theoros

Cricket Spectator
Haggers

Some reputable contacts on the WCG have pointed me in the direction of a promising young cricketer called Ravi Kumar. Apparently he snared 6/60 on a bunsen a few years back (enough said). Not only this but he is also a flamboyant batsman of some pedigree with a propensity for the whipster. Noted judges have compared his batting to "The Wall" and his thoff breaking to the one and only GR Robertson.

The only delivery young Ravi lacks in his armoury is in fact the now world famous Grager Break, however the lad is keen to learn and if it could be organised, a series of workshops with Mr M Grager himself would be of genuine value to the lad. He is keen to learn the nuances of the Grager Break and his dedication to his cricket is only matched by his love of a stiff VRB.

Sincerely,

Yarnos

Mr Mick Grager

Cricket Spectator
The Grager Break (Patent 123546)

Learned enthusiasts,

You will be pleased to know that I have just received confirmation from my Patent Attorney, MR TL Archibald of Combined Insurance, Smash Repairs and Patent Legalities Pty Ltd, that I have been successful in Patenting the Grager Break so no other individual can use this delivery without my prior permission.

Langers (As Haggers so affectionately and poignantly refers to you as), do you bowl steady seam up meds with a hint of late thoutswing? I expect you are very much in the mould of the former England Med, Mr Ed Giddins who destroyed a full strength Robert Mugabe Zimbabwean Chicken Farmers 11 at Lords two years ago and who sold me my Christmas Tree last year as part of his new business venture. Mr Langeveldt I am interested in your Adrian (Kuiper) youth, in particular the league (or Conference) you currently play in and your future aspirations. As part of my role at Gosnells I do some consulting work with the Armadale Amateur third league soccer side so kindly sponsored by the Courier Driving Fraternity of Beckenham. Perhaps you are interested in this as our overseas player?

Haggers and I both look forward to your learned response.
All the Best and have an Emu Export on me boys.
Mick the Barman

Terry Yorath

Cricket Spectator
Tommy 'ansell Magical Mystery Tour, June 2004

Dear learned ('learn-ed' - for my antipodean brethren) colleagues

it is with great joy and delight that I am able to report on my recent and profoundly successful tour of Middlesex, Sussex and minor counties. As a student of the Tommy 'ansell hybrid of the great game (that's cricket BTW), it was with great delight that I discovered in the on-line Bishop's-Sodsbury Gazette, a small, tasteful advertisement, littered with spelling and grammatical errors, for a 5 week tour of the UK and north-western Europe, paying homage to the cricketing life and times of the great T.K.D.T.G. 'ansell (or 'Tommy conny' as he was more affectionately known).

Departing early June, the agenda was thaction-packed. We (there were at least 5 of us on the tour at different times) were first taken to the birthplace of Thomas Keith Damian Tobias Geoffrey 'ansell; born out of wedlock on the 27th of May, 1953, in town of Weltshire (pop. 321, mostly pig farmers, philatelists and atheists ministers). Little known fact: apparently, the proliferation of forenames is in honour of his mother’s previous suitors. From here, we were shown the backstreets and cow paddocks where a young Tommy developed his passion and flare for game not oft’ seen in this part of Britain. The ground where he first graced the cricketing public with his unique brand of doggedly ('dogg-ed-ly' - for my antipodean brethren), dour, defensive left-hand forward blocks and nicks backward of point, was bathed in a cold, awe-inspiring mist on the crisp June morn’ whence we arrived. It was on this ground on a cool day in July,1967, that the young Tommy first showed his marvellous array of strokes to flay the visiting North Mymm’s 5th IX (two chaps phoned in sick that morning apparently) attack for spectacular 17 off 7 times as many balls, to lead his Weltshire side to an imposing target of 7 for 102 off their 53 overs in rather trying conditions. Later that afternoon, the audience saw their first glimpses of the multi-facetted talent that is T.K.D.T.G. 'ansell, when, after injury plagued the Hedgehogs’ opening, first and second change bowling attack, he was thrown the ball by his late captain, Geoffrey Davidson-Sidebottom of Hove Albion III. At this moment, Tommy’s unique brand of left-arm back-spin and modest thoffbreak bowling came to the four. With his side facing a crushing defeat, tommy dramatically reduced the Mymm’s batting line-up to a precession finishing with 1 for 39 off his 3 overs, ultimately saving his side from an innings defeat.

From here we were taken to the technical colleague in Sussex where Tommy completed a Higher National Certificate in latex manufacturing and for whom Tommy lead their previously modest third league side to unprecedented success in the Bovril and Marmite 9th division Sussex and Channel Islands cricket league in the summers of 1973-74-76 (*1975 saw Tommy take a break from the game he loved to pursue his other great love, pharmaceutical bandaging). This period was the most prolific of Tommy’s (some may say: ‘oh-so-short’) career where he compiled several scores in the low 20s often at a strike rate in excess of 37.375 and shrewdly captain a side once considered to be brimming with enthusiasm but little else.

Week three of our journey took us across ‘the tidal pool’ to the fairer, flatter and remarkably uninteresting shores of the Netherlands. It was here Tommy carved out a semi-professional career with Waddenzee CC (the Dykes) as opening batsmen/nightwatchman and part-time back-spin bowler: 597 runs @ 19.2 and 31 wkts @ 48.5 in 5 seasons I think, speaks for itself. Highlights in this leg of our journey took us to the site of arguably Tommy’s greatest innings, 42 n.o. on a grassless matting deck against the ferocious Utrecht third XI opening attack, featuring a willowy left-tharmer by the name of Jan Ulrich van der Gaamenshous. For 3 furious hours the pair battled with Tommy taking the honours after nudging his team to 97 all out at the close of play.

Whilst Tommy’s dalliance with Middlesex Haddock and Fries second XI was glossed over at trip’s end, I can recommend this tour without a shadow-of-a-doubt (©Michael Housebricks, season 2001-2002) to any keen disciples of the Tommy ‘ansell forward defensive philosophy. Any bookings can be made through a tremendous chap of extremely high calibray, Daniel M.P. Waters and his promotional group AIG International - Daniel.Waters@aig.com.

Should anyone want further information, please don’t hesitate to enter into some sort of dialogue.

Regards

Terry Yorath

Position Midfielder
Born 27 Mar 1950, Cardiff (Wales)
Height 177 cm
Weight 69 kg
International Caps Wales: 59 full

Club From To Apps Goals Sold for
Leeds United
01 Apr 1967 01 Aug 1976 196 12 £125000
Coventry City
01 Aug 1976 01 Aug 1979 99 3 £300000
Tottenham Hotspur
01 Aug 1979 01 Jun 1982 48 1
Bradford City
01 Dec 1982 01 May 1986 27 0 £0 (my lowest point in my career)
Swansea City
01 May 1986 01 Jun 1987 1 0

Yarnos Theoros

Cricket Spectator
Dear Terry

I cannot even begin to describe the obvious enthusiasm and excitement that came over my uncle (Edwardos) when I relayed to him your post of the day just gone. As arguably your greatest supporter uncle Ed has followed and tracked your career with fanatical passion, and news that you had posted on this prestigious website provided a look on his face that for all the world he had just ejaculated. Upon hearing this important news he began to tell me about your brilliant career, especially how you carved up QPR at a blustery Loftus Road in '76 shortly before your departure to Maine Road. He also mentioned a time when your honourable self had a wee bit too much libation which culminated in a visit to the infamous Presidents Palace - a place with questionable morals and where a simple fry-up after a training fixture can lead into something genuinely more sinister such as a rear admiral.
Regarding the 'Ansell Mystery Tour - this no doubt was a high point of your life, certainly would have surpassed your dalliance with Swansea city. I am interested in details of any trou (they don't call me the Greek God for nothing :D ), a synopsis of the different kinds of bread consumed during the tour (e.g. turkish, white, multigrain etc) and details of any trips to nail production factories (can you confirm whether liquid nails are a possible goatherder?)
I just want to repeat again how much you continue to provide enjoyment to old wardians such as uncle Ed and hope that whatever your next venture is at this juncture of life provides you with more enlightenment than a fourth league fixture at Rats Reserve with the unamousing, recalcitrant and obnoxious 'Ansell.

Sincerely

Yarnos

Haggers

Cricket Spectator
Yarnos (I hope you dont mind me calling you Yarnos whilst not to neglect such a formidable sir name as Theoros, however I believe it provides a more intimate forum for discussion. Please feel free to refer to me as Hags.)

I too was impressed with the breif :wacko: synopsis provided as to 'Ansell however the concerning factor for a purist like myself is the referal to this cricketing magician in the past tense. I am of the opinion that a player of such greatness still has his best years ahead of him (though it may be at a level lower than any conference I have ever witnessed)

What has been made blatently clear (thanks to Terry Yorath) to me however is 'what this chap has put back into the game' and this my learned fellows is what the Uncle Eds of this great cricketing world are illuding to with their passionate displays of emotion when the reverened name of 'Ansell is muttered from the long room at Lords to the players bar at The Red Windmill.

This my fellow cricketing Nuffys is what we all search a lifetime for and few achieve it is termed "Cricketing Imortality" or "packing it".

I now leave you with this thought to ponder "How do we write ourselves into the cricketing annuls as has this inspirational human 'Ansell"

Looking forward greatly to our next installment.

Hags.

Mr Mick Grager

Cricket Spectator
The overshadowing of Sir ET Marshall (Eddy)

Dear Mr Yoruth (Youth with an R for those purists of literature)

Thank you for your eloquent description of the life and times of Mr Ansell. This much revered pillar of cricketing society has seemingly left a lasting impression on the lower echelons of this great game.

However, I must convey my utter dissatisfaction at the lack of attention Eddy Marshall has received in this forum given his life long achievements. For those of you who are unaware of this man feats, he is infamous for the attempted rescue of Ken Dodd who was tragically run over by the Atwell Express 183 Bus on Canning Highway. Marshall displayed unparralled bravery in attempting to lift the bus with his bare hands and free Dodd's body from beneath the reckage. Unfortunately the attempt was unsuccesful given the shear weight of the bus and the fact that Marshall lost both his arms in a boating accident some years prior. Dodd was pronounced Dead at the scene and Marshall committed to the rectory for mental assessment.

More recently Marshall has been synonomous with the capture of suspected Al Quada leader Mr Rookie Jayasankara, former pilot for Janadakot Jets Under 13 Amateur Bowling Club sponsored by the Ray Mansfield Green. After pursuing Mr Jayasankara to the back streets of South Lake with the assistance of the local ropey real estate agent, Marshall subdued the preacher who was heard to be screaming the name. 'Arnie Winnaslogger'. If anyone has any information whatsover on this said character please contact Mr Zinadine Zidane of French Gibson Intelligence.

Thanks for your time, Last Drinks
Mick the barman

Haggers

Cricket Spectator
Mick,

I actually delivered the tribute to Mr Dodd at his funeral some time ago. It was a celebration of a lifetime of success and his 14 third conference fixtures for Josnells.

His ashes were spread over the hallowed turf of Sutherlands II and rolled into the wicket by PK as was his dying request to Mr ET Marshall.

A simple yet touching tribute.

Hags

Yarnos Theoros

Cricket Spectator
Fellow learned cricketing scholars,

I would also like to get in contact with Mr Zinadine Zidane of French Gibson Intelligence - on a separate matter to the aforementioned Rookshan Jayasekera, former Rat tearaway & suspected current terrorist (bowls a mean DAF Mark 4 splizner grenade off 32 steps).
I am using this respected forum to report the disappearance of fourteen Kenyan marathon runners at Rats Reserve and surrounding 'hoods, who were partaking in the world famous Hard Wicket 6.2 in preparation for the forthcoming Athens Olympics. This conglommerate of individuals was last seen being turfed into a beige Gemini parked behind the liqaqious "Shed" at the WDCC.
They were all wearing de castella style '83 high addidas three stripe hipster running trunks (in proud support of "Worlds Best") and "Carlovers" tee shirts.
If anyone has any thinformation on the whereabouts of these yoraths please alert Mr Zidane, or failing that a Mr Ramesh Sumasundran (profilic acquirer of miles in the vicinity of Rats Reserve and former explosive opening batsman in a mould eerily reminiscent of Kris Srikkanth) who lives only an 'Ansell cover drive away.

Sincerely,

Yarnos

Langeveldt

Soutie
Let me say it is a pleasure to converse on this fine evening...

You can call me Langers if you wan't, just as long as it isnt confused with antipodean tubthumper "Justin"

As for my own cricketing credentials, well I am a tall legspinner, likened to a "stretch-Macgill" who can weild the willow given a crisis point to weild in. As a batsman of Ganga-esque aestheticness I value style before substance, and a series of pleasing knocks at number seven have led to a pillageing of the drool mop cuboard by opposition revellers.

I have patented a new delivery, as yet un-named (I need a sponsor), which involves a stock legspinner pitching by the metatarsal of the unwitting non-striker, and after a Fraseresque kick at the ground which can be detected in various backwaters from Toowoomba to Amzimtoti, the ball is sent fizzing at a rate of knots towards the base of leg stump, and the batsperson is convincingly befuddled..

My regards, and I can be contacted on the main fora, or by electronic pidgeon at rhingston@hotmail.com

Yarnos Theoros

Cricket Spectator
Langers

does this latent inability to pitch the salim in the batsmans half of the strip indicate that you are currently experiencing the "yips"?

Sincerely

Yarnos

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yarnos Theoros said:
Langers

does this latent inability to pitch the salim in the batsmans half of the strip indicate that you are currently experiencing the "yips"?

Sincerely

Yarnos
Not so, although my recent exploits with the bat have left me feeling a little bit spent, reducing my capacity to function as a bowler..

I recently hit a stylish half century "up the Wivvey"...

Mr Mick Grager

Cricket Spectator
WDCC Job Application

Following the election of Umpire Peter McConnells son Glen McConnell as the Social Executive Director of the Mundijong and Associated Districts Darts and Petanque Club, I have heard a rumour that the head barman job at WDCC is up for grabs.

Can anyone shed some light on the intentions of PK? Personally I feel that juggling the Curator, Shed Cleaning, Turf painting, Ray Mansfield Green Rolling and Barman roles is too much for one person to handle despite the mans obvious talents. I also heard that they have offered the job to Saundo for a packet of Second Grade keeper and a burnt hot dog from Griff.

Please help, I am keen to get in the mixer and offer some culinary and libationary delights to all in sundry. Is my old trou still at the club - The old lady with the curly mullet who used to shake her head and talk to herself?
Cheers
Mick

Yarnos Theoros

Cricket Spectator
Mr Grager

The word on the WCG is that the Manjimup Wood Packer will soon not only be running the WDCC and WSC, but also Southlands Shopping Centre, BGC, Rio Tinto and the Willetton Baptist College. His entire work ethos is to be admired and soon will be available for all to yearn and masticulate in a series of seminars and books.

The damsel you so elequently refer to was last seen in the corner of the WSC bar attempting to seduce former Rats timekeeper Peter "Geppy" Gepp into a liasion of staunch physical contact (please note that neither have been seen since).

RE - burnt hot dogs - I trust you know that the puffy Nuffy is responsible for the high grade cuisine one can feast on after a solid training fixture at Rats Reserve. The secret added taste actually comes from the fact that he doesnt wash his Christian Andersens after reliveing himself (generally in the confines of his own Reg Grundys).

As an addendum, has anyone found those Kenyan marathon runners? The opening ceremony is in eight days time and their absence will erode Kenyan hopes of medal stisticity in Athens.

Sincerely

Yarnos

Yarnos Theoros

Cricket Spectator
Dear fellow learned cricketing scholars,

Given the prevalence of uncertainty--and being at least as smart as squirrels--humans have instituted epistemological processes like "peer review." An example is a medical journal editor noticing that the mansucript s/he's reviewing reports more "degrees of freedom" in the results section than it had "subjects" earlier and decides against publication. Various studies have propogated that "peer review"--operationalised by extramural review--as an empirical process, using scores aggregated over reviewers and committees as empirical data. Sometimes "peer review" fails us, e..g., publication of methodologically flawed racist articles published in U.S. academic journals in the 1920s (or worse, in the former totalitarian u.s.s.r., when publication meant "biologist" Lysenko agreed with you--and if he didn't you'd be lucky to be just in jail). To the extent we forget that "peer review" is an empirical process, i believe we risk a return to the dogmatism of science of the middle ages and of a number of religions today. And I think the issue of public math/s (for antipodean bretheren) and "peer review" unavoidable: the first interactive site I found online let anyone specify levels of variables like "prevalence" and "fertility" to compute outcomes like number of orphaned children.

Sincerely,

Yarnos

Yarnos Theoros

Cricket Spectator
Mauritius

Hello again my fellow devotees to this great game

I am wondering if anyone has come in contact with former Rat and Patent Attorney, MR TL Archibald of Combined Insurance, Smash Repairs and Patent Legalities Pty Ltd (my sincere thanks to Mr Mick Grager for this information).
I have heard it is possible that he may have entered the up vibe world of modelling in Mauritius. For those who dont know much about Mauritius, let me take this opportunity to enlighten you.

Discovered by the Portuguese in 1505, Mauritius was subsequently held by the Dutch, French, and British before independence was attained in 1968. A stable democracy with regular free elections and a positive human rights record, the country has attracted considerable foreign investment and has earned one of Africa's highest per capita incomes. Recent poor weather and declining sugar prices have slowed economic growth, leading to some protests over standards of living in the Creole community.

I believe Archibalds ultimate aim is to become PM of this fine country. His honesty and integrity have never been in question so I trust you Mauritanians out there should elect the aforementioned yorath to a position of extreme power (he also flips a mean fowl).

Sincerely

Yarnos