• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Some old bowlers...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pic 1 - Spofforth?
Maybe pic 2 is Trumble.

This will now keep me occupied most of the day.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Spofforth is correct, that picture was posted here by SJS. 2 isn't Trumble though, there are no spin bowlers (except for Johnston's part time lefties), though a couple of these bowlers did start out as spinners.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now wondering if pic 2 is Charlie Turner.

The player who seems to be depicted by an old cigarette card on line two isn't Big Jim Smith is it?

Starfighter

There's no Turner, I don't believe there exists an action shot of him bowling. He in any case was a medium pacer while no. 2 was once proclaimed the quickest in the world. Spofforth is the only one who played his career in 1800s there (well, one other played in 1899). It isn't Jim Smith on the cig card, I don't think I actually have a picture of him bowling.

Last edited:

Starfighter

All correct.

I'm surprised no one's had a stab at 10 yet. At least their team shouldn't be too hard.

the big bambino

International Captain
I'm at work and really should be at work, if you know what I mean. I'm close to certain picture 2 is in Frith's book about the ashes. Will check when I get home. I'm guessing 10 is West Indian and if so Connie, Martindale or Gilchrist.

Starfighter

I'm at work and really should be at work, if you know what I mean.
:laugh:

The joys of being a student.

I'm close to certain picture 2 is in Frith's book about the ashes. Will check when I get home. I'm guessing 10 is West Indian and if so Connie, Martindale or Gilchrist.
IIRC there's certainly a picture of 2 in Frith's book, though maybe not that one. Has been oh-so-long since I read it though. It's a great book.

Starfighter

1: Spofforth 2: Cotter 3: ? 4: ? 5:?
6: Voce 7: ? 8: Davidson 9: Whitty 10: A West Indian 11:?
12: Kotze 13: ? 14: ? 15: Lindwall 16: ? 17: ?
18: ? 19: Copson 20: Johnston 21: ? 22: ?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Hell yeah, love the slinging motion most of these guys seem to have. This is a really good insight into the evolution of bowler's actions over time.

Starfighter

Actually five of them are the same ground (the Nursery Ground at Lord's). And no. 4 is indeed the same era.

the big bambino

International Captain
I'm all around him but not on target. I've seen the picture while searching for Neville Knox. I click to confirm but the PC freezes. Don't think its Knox though as the photo at 4 seems too stocky and short whereas Knox was handsome and slim.