• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the candidates for best fast/pace bowler ever: The Rankings thread

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Donald was as complete a bowler as any. It is possible to rank him much higher. Really, when he was playing he wasn't perceived as lagging behind Ambrose, Wasim, McGrath etc. He was frequently described as the best fast bowler in the world on tv commentary even in company of those illustrious rivals. It's only perhaps the overall length of his career why he gets rated slightly lower. Always loved him. His action was from heavens. Can't get bored of watching this:

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Based solely on the 90s, sure though things turned around for McGrath circa 95' and he was great by the end of the decade. Wasim steadily declined from 96' onwards and Waqar post 95 wasn't as good.

Ambrose and Donald were ****ing awesome though.

Bolo

State Captain
90s only, it's tough to seperate Donald, Ambrose and Waqar. Such different careers. Mcgrath probably behind all of them and Wasim behind Mcgrath.

morgieb

If we're talking 90-94, it'd probably go Waqar > Ambrose > Wasim > Donald for me.

95-99? McGrath > Donald > Wasim > Ambrose >>> Waqar.

trundler

Wasim was averaging a paltry 3 WPM after 96'. Was quick to 300 but declined steadily after that so yeah loses points there. Ambrose ahead for sure.

bagapath

International Captain
90s overall

Ambrose>Wasim>McGrath>Donald>Walsh>Waqar>Pollock

90-95

Ambrose>Wasim>Waqar>Donald>Walsh

95-99

McGrath>Ambrose>Donald>Walsh>Wasim>Pollock>Waqar

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In 90s overall team that cw collectively voted for, Donald had a place, McGrath didn't. And I agree with that. McGrath started turning into a beast towards end of 90s and then had superb returns in 00s.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I personally think Donald is marginally ahead of Steyn as the best South African paceman post readmission. That being said, Rabada could overtake both of them in the future if he stays fit and in form.

Bolo

State Captain
90s overall

Ambrose>Wasim>McGrath>Donald>Walsh>Waqar>Pollock

90-95

Ambrose>Wasim>Waqar>Donald>Walsh

95-99

McGrath>Ambrose>Donald>Walsh>Wasim>Pollock>Waqar
Waqar in the first half of the 90s has got a pretty legit claim to GOAT. Basically 6wpm @18 with a SR of 35.

smash84

The Tiger King
I'll have Steyn ahead but it could all go belly up for Steyn like it did with Donald at the end.
Nope, it can't go belly up with Steyn, he's done enough to keep him ahead of the competition. He's top 5 of all time for me, Donald not quite.

For things to go belly up for someone like steyn he will have to do something like Botham, that play another 5 years and be really bad.