• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Same Name Draft

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Saw it was my turn & didn't even look. Guess I'll have to go to my backup plan and ensure Sam doesn't get that famed duo.

Herbert Sutcliffe
Bert Sutcliffe

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Round 1 picks:
trundler - Bill O’Reilly, Bill Lawry
Michaelf7777777 - Graeme Pollock, Shaun Pollock
Teuton - Viv Richards, Barry Richards
Red Hill - Allan Donald, Allan Border
jimmy101 - Frank Worrell, Frank Tyson
The Battlers Prince - Imran Khan, Younis Khan
Himannv - Shane Warne, Shane Bond
fredfertang - Steve Smith, Steve Waugh
Good Areas Shane - Phil Hughes, Merv Hughes
mr_mister - Alan Davidson, Alan Knott
kingkallis - George Headley, George Lohmann
AndrewB - Sid Barnes, Sydney Barnes
SillyCowCorner1 - Jeffrey Dujon, Jeffrey Stollmeyer

Round 2:
SillyCowCorner1: Glenn McGrath, Glenn Turner
AndrewB: Richard Hadlee, Richard Richardson
kingkallis: Dennis Lillee, Dennis Amiss
mr_mister: Brian Lara, Brian Statham
Good Areas Shane: Mark Taylor, Ross Taylor
fredfertang: Malcolm Marshall, Devon Malcolm
Himannv: Jack Hobbs, Jack Blackham
The Battlers Prince: Gary Cosier, Gary Sobers
jimmy101: Bert Sutcliffe, Herbert Sutcliffe
Red Hill:
Teuton:
Michaelf7777777:
trundler:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saw it was my turn & didn't even look. Guess I'll have to go to my backup plan and ensure Sam doesn't get that famed duo.

Herbert Sutcliffe
Bert Sutcliffe
This is a better choice as a combo anyway imho.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Order for Round 3 will be:
Red Hill
mr_mister
Himannv
jimmy101
Teuton
kingkallis
Michaelf7777777
The Battlers Prince
trundler
AndrewB
SillyCowCorner1
fredfertang
Good Areas Shane

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Unfortunately for TBP, KK is right. Names are spelled differently. Andrew needs to make a call here.

EDIT: It seems Sobers has been spelled both Gary and Garry, however, are we going off of how their names are spelled on cricinfo as a steadfast rule?

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If their full names are both Garfield then it's irrelevant if it's Gary or Garry right

kingkallis

International Coach
Unfortunately for TBP, KK is right. Names are spelled differently. Andrew needs to make a call here.

EDIT: It seems Sobers has been spelled both Gary and Garry, however, are we going off of how their names are spelled on cricinfo as a steadfast rule?
This is the reason why I didn't pick Sobers with other Gary.

kingkallis

International Coach
In an attempt to make the rules unambiguous:

A player's Cricinfo "Player Profile" page will generally refer to them by a two-word name; e.g. Viv Richards or Jack Russell (ignoring any title such as "Sir"). Either of these names may be used.

Often a player's first name is clearly a shortened form of one of their "formal" names; e.g. "Viv" is short for "Vivian", This formal name may also be used.

None of their other names may be used; so for Viv Richards you can use "Viv", "Vivian" or "Richards" but not "Isaac" or "Alexander"; for Jack Russell you can use "Jack" or "Russell" but not "Robert" or "Charles".

Just to keep things simple: names must be spelt the same to count as being the same.

Also, the usual "no Bradman" rule applies.

Are there any obvious problems with the rules as stated here? If not, we can begin.
Lets stick to Cricinfo as mentioned in the rule.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It appears KK already picked Lillee which quite massively ****s things up for me. Should've picked Compton alongside though.

kingkallis

International Coach
It appears KK already picked Lillee which quite massively ****s things up for me. Should've picked Compton alongside though.
haha. Do you think I would miss a thing like that? Check the spellings of their names and you will know why I 'couldn't' pick Compton.