• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pandya vs CdG vs Holder vs Stokes vs Holder vs Chris Morris vs Marsh and whoever else

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Stokes method of playing is just suited to Tests. He is a boundary hitter and a bowler who can get wickets through classical length and swing bowling. In ODIs I haven't seen much of a touch game from him, and due to the lack of variety with the ball he normally gets pummeled. It's the same with CDG.

Now I haven't particularly worked out Pandya yet. He played that great innings in SA and I was mighty impressed. But that's about it. I'd take Stokes any day of the week in a Test.
Stokes can do it all with the ball, and often seems to try it all in one over. I don't quite know what to make of him as a test bowler. I guess he is giving the team what they either want or think they want. He is just as likely to get a vital breakthrough as being smacked tot he boundary a fair few times. I don't think he has a lot of control over his delivery release by comparison to test bowlers, but then he is always enthusiastic to send down some short ones, or pitch it up, and try things to get a wicket.

Given the conditions he plays in, England with a Dukes ball, an average of 33.8 at 60.4 SR isn't the most impressive. But then his efforts in Australia are fairly impressive on flatter pitches (and in the Aussie heat, so he really would have provided relief for Broad and Anderson there).

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I wonder when people start blaming t20 for the lack of quality batting test allrounders today, and the low levels of patience in the one's that are still around before they go for a big shot, or a pitch up a half volley.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
Out of the players in the title.

Pandya for me trumps all in t20 cricket. It is interesting to note that every player in the title struggles in t20i cricket apart from Pandya who excels in it.

For ODis, Pandya shades it for me. He has a very high strike rate with the bat and his bowling stats are enough for him to take it in the match up with the others.

In tests it's looking like Holder or De Grandhomme currently, with Stokes just behind. I would be leaning towards Holder at this stage as he has played more with a strong sample size.

If I picked one player out of the title for my squad it would certainly be Pandya. Holder would be a decent option, as would Stokes and De Grandhomme. Mitchell Marsh is slightly below them on the list for me, with Chris Morris a long way off competing with anyone on the list.

Jack1

International Debutant
Stokes can do it all with the ball, and often seems to try it all in one over. I don't quite know what to make of him as a test bowler. I guess he is giving the team what they either want or think they want. He is just as likely to get a vital breakthrough as being smacked tot he boundary a fair few times. I don't think he has a lot of control over his delivery release by comparison to test bowlers, but then he is always enthusiastic to send down some short ones, or pitch it up, and try things to get a wicket.

Given the conditions he plays in, England with a Dukes ball, an average of 33.8 at 60.4 SR isn't the most impressive. But then his efforts in Australia are fairly impressive on flatter pitches (and in the Aussie heat, so he really would have provided relief for Broad and Anderson there).
Stokes is certainly best with the ball in tests. He's a decent test bowler. However, he is a poor bowler overall in both limited overs formats.

I wonder when people start blaming t20 for the lack of quality batting test allrounders today, and the low levels of patience in the one's that are still around before they go for a big shot, or a pitch up a half volley.
The thing is all the players in the title struggle with the bat in international t20 cricket. These players actually play better when they have more time. t20 certainly can't be blamed for anything.

Stokes method of playing is just suited to Tests. He is a boundary hitter and a bowler who can get wickets through classical length and swing bowling. In ODIs I haven't seen much of a touch game from him, and due to the lack of variety with the ball he normally gets pummeled. It's the same with CDG.

Now I haven't particularly worked out Pandya yet. He played that great innings in SA and I was mighty impressed. But that's about it. I'd take Stokes any day of the week in a Test.
I would take Stokes over Pandya in tests, but it's a reasonably close one. Pandya hasn't played that many games and is not easy to judge vs Stokes in tests because of that. In limited overs I would take Pandya definitely.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Oh I'm not sure t20 is to blame at all. I think its individual personality more so. Many seam bowling allrounders have always been talented with the bat, but prefer to hit big, it isn't a long walk down memory lane to Simon O'Donnell, Kapil Dev, Chris Cairns and Ian Botham.

While Jadeja keeps that going for the spinners, Ashwin and Vettori present a profile of the spin allrounder being more a fighter with the bat :) For the seamers, Probhakar probably was more fitting in this category. Imran definitely. Not sure where Shastri really fits. We all know where Afridi fits.

So I don't blame t20 blanketly myself, just wondering when it catches on as a complaint. But t20 does offer encouragement to players to keep hitting for a living and not curb their natural instincts for test success. So for some individuals, it may well be relevant.

Last edited: