• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Morne Morkel v Bob Willis

Better Test Bowler

• Morne Morkel

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Bob Willis

Votes: 18 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

a massive zebra

International Captain
What's the point in coming on a forum and putting everyone who disagrees with you on ignore? Very few people agree on absolutely everything and respect for alternative views is an important part of balanced debate. As vcs says, John will soon have the entire forum on ignore at this rate.

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
Ironic that you criticise someone else's argument as being boring but don't post any sort of actual argument as to why he's wrong.

Mind you, it appears disagreeing with that poster is enough for him to put you on ignore. I've had it done because I dared to point out facts and how he was wrong, yet others have had it for apparently acting like 12 year olds.
I don’t really care who people pick. But it is not a no contest given the simalarities between the bowlers’ records.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don’t really care who people pick. But it is not a no contest given the simalarities between the bowlers’ records.
The gap between their averages is nearly double the gap between Willis' and Lillee's. WpM arguments aside I don't see anyone suggest that the former is of the caliber of the latter.

Willis' and Morkel's s/r and WpM may be similar yet Willis has a significantly better average and more five fors. Seems a pretty good case for Willis' being better to me. Not a no contest, no, but fairly good nonetheless.

Jack1

International Debutant
What's the point in coming on a forum and putting everyone who disagrees with you on ignore? Very few people agree on absolutely everything and respect for alternative views is an important part of balanced debate. As vcs says, John will soon have the entire forum on ignore at this rate.
"lol ok" "WTF" and stuff like that and aggressive posting is why I ignore people. Mr Miyagi engages in proper debate with my post and I haven't had a problem with him, can't be a coincidence can it. I notice all the posters that have issue with Miyagi are very immature posters. Nonsensical posts also shouldn't be on a cricket forum, I call them out softly whereas others do it aggressively.

Jack1

International Debutant
The gap between their averages is nearly double the gap between Willis' and Lillee's. WpM arguments aside I don't see anyone suggest that the former is of the caliber of the latter.

Willis' and Morkel's s/r and WpM may be similar yet Willis has a significantly better average and more five fors. Seems a pretty good case for Willis' being better to me. Not a no contest, no, but fairly good nonetheless.
He is yet to make one comment on why Morkel is better than Willis. Because he literally has no substance for the claim and is most likely a troll.

Starfighter

"lol ok" "WTF" and stuff like that and aggressive posting is why I ignore people.
The problem is you do sometimes make blanket statements without the requisite strength of support. That's when people make those sorts of posts. If you think the posting here is aggressive then you've a lot to learn.
Mr Miyagi engages in proper debate with my post and I haven't had a problem with him, can't be a coincidence can it. I notice all the posters that have issue with Miyagi are very immature posters.
Umm, no. I don't think you've tried engaging a debate of a contentious point with him, either that or you're too similar to him to notice his nature. Those posters you are calling immature are sick of having their words twisted while being treated in a condescending manner and seeing him then claim victim status when called out.
Nonsensical posts also shouldn't be on a cricket forum, I call them out softly whereas others do it aggressively.
So whinging and saying you're putting someone on ignore is calling out a 'nonsense' post softly? I think your perception there needs to be fine tuned.
He is yet to make one comment on why Morkel is better than Willis. Because he literally has no substance for the claim and is most likely a troll.
He's not a troll, but the rest of your statement has a good amount of truth.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Their numbers may be closely matched, however Willis played in an era where few bowlers crossed the 300 wicket mark.
He also held the record for most Test wickets, albeit briefly.
Add to that his 8-fer against Australia and he will be remembered much longer than Morkel, whom I'm afraid will be forgotten in a few years time.

Starfighter

No he didn't, he never passed Lillee (355).
Add to that his 8-fer against Australia and he will be remembered much longer than Morkel, whom I'm afraid will be forgotten in a few years time.
Let's just say, there a precious few bowlers who have a performance even approaching Willis' 8/43, let alone having produced it in the situation he did. Whereas Morkel's best innings came in a drawn test and best match was overshadowed by a huge scandal.

Jack1

International Debutant
No he didn't, he never passed Lillee (355).

Let's just say, there a precious few bowlers who have a performance even approaching Willis' 8/43, let alone having produced it in the situation he did. Whereas Morkel's best innings came in a drawn test and best match was overshadowed by a huge scandal.
Willis wasn't fully fit for half his career either, by 1975 he had both knees operated on (yet played tests until 1984) and bowled in pain for pretty much his whole career. A great bowler.

cnerd123

likes this
The points in favour of Morkel that I see are:

1) Highly effective back-of-a-length bowler in an era where the intimidation factor of such bowling has been reduced by flatter pitches, better protective equipment, harsher bouncer laws and bigger bats

2) One of the best ever at the 3rd Seamer role (as pointed out earlier), while you'll find several better strike bowlers than Willis

3) More consistent and reliable

Starfighter

Not sure about point 1 when anyone viewing matches in Australia at least would come to the conclusion that this is very much the era of the back-of-a-length bounce bowler.

akilana

International 12th Man
Their numbers may be closely matched, however Willis played in an era where few bowlers crossed the 300 wicket mark.
Morkel played in the most batsmen friendly era of all time. He also had to share wickets with arguably the greatest bowler ever and another very good bowler. Morkel’s average is very similar to Anderson’s and is pretty good for his era.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Not sure about point 1 when anyone viewing matches in Australia at least would come to the conclusion that this is very much the era of the back-of-a-length bounce bowler.
Yea I don't know how much the back-of-the-length style has lost effectiveness relative to the pitch-it-up-and-swing style. The latter still accounts for basically all the best quick bowlers during Morkel's career - Steyn, Anderson, Ryan Harris, Boult, Southee, Asif, Amir, Philander, etc. The former really only has Morkel, Broad, and peak Mitchell Johnson as the standouts (and Wagner I suppose), the rest just seem to bowl that style because they get hit if they pitch it up.

Having said that, bowling back of a length wasn't really much of a thing back in the 70s and 80s right? Outside of the West Indies quicks and Jeff Thompson, how many bowlers bowled that style?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
People who agree with anyone 100% of the time are dumb.

Also this John bloke seems lulsy.

Bolo

State Captain
Yea I don't know how much the back-of-the-length style has lost effectiveness relative to the pitch-it-up-and-swing style. The latter still accounts for basically all the best quick bowlers during Morkel's career - Steyn, Anderson, Ryan Harris, Boult, Southee, Asif, Amir, Philander, etc. The former really only has Morkel, Broad, and peak Mitchell Johnson as the standouts (and Wagner I suppose), the rest just seem to bowl that style because they get hit if they pitch it up.

Having said that, bowling back of a length wasn't really much of a thing back in the 70s and 80s right? Outside of the West Indies quicks and Jeff Thompson, how many bowlers bowled that style?
Bowlers in general just don't get results from back of a length. Good length works. Full can work depending on the circumstances. There's an idea that back of a length helps the other bowlers. There is definitely merit to it, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea relative to having the bowler himself perform better. England into it hard with the enforcer idea for Broad. RSA may have bought into it with Morkel- I'm not sure if they wanted him bowling back of a length, or if he just wasn't capable of bowling fuller for much of his career (anyone have some thoughts?). Both of these guys started to get some really good results when they pitched it up more, and while they probably helped their teammates by bowling short, it was a bad idea. They both might be a bit better than their figures suggest because of their value add to the bowling outfit, but they were extremely good when pitching it up, and it's a lost opportunity.

Johnston is an exception. His action combined with his pace meant he was actually better back of a length, but I don't think we've seen this happen since helmets etc came in.

Edit: Donald and early Pollock were arguably mostly back of a length. It worked for them. Both got serious bounce, were very quick, played on insanely bouncey home tracks, and could move the ball both ways. A lot of conditions, but it can work.

Last edited: