• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jason Holder

Shri

Mr. Glass
The unfortunate thing for the wi is that each team except for them currently has at least one player or one recent player who could legitimately make their all time xi:
Oz: Smith
Nz : Williamson, Taylor, Boult
Ind: Kohli , Ashwin
Rsa: Steyn
Sl : Herath
Eng: Root, Anderson (?)
Pak: younis khan
Wi: nobody

And it's not just because wi historically has many atgs. Recently, we've struggled to produce anyone remotely approaching world class. Nobody in the current team is.
IF WI start producing pace bowler friendly tracks in terms of bounce, Roach, Gabriel and Miguel Cummins would be good enough to snatch a test from any team they play against tbh. Well, maybe except for a full strength SA or Aus.

Slifer

International Captain
Give Hetmeyer time. He has potential. And Root and Ashwin don't make an ATG team either.
An English atg for me, looks something like this:

Hutton
Hobbs
Hammond
Barrington
Compton
Botham
Knott+
Trueman
Larwood
Barnes
Laker

Joe Root can arguably fit in some where in the middle order. Even if u consider that a stretch, the overall point is that all teams have recently produced world class players except WI.

Slifer

International Captain
IF WI start producing pace bowler friendly tracks in terms of bounce, Roach, Gabriel and Miguel Cummins would be good enough to snatch a test from any team they play against tbh. Well, maybe except for a full strength SA or Aus.
Maybe. But our batting lineup would get run through pretty easily as well. Our batsmen really need to man up and learn patience.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashwin does. Comparable away from home to Kumble and better at home. Root easily makes an ATG ODI XI for eng and will probably make the test XI when he retires. Anderson won't though. Maybe a 3rd or 4th best ATG team for eng not because he's that bad but since eng has produced so many fast bowling legends before him in tests.
England have only been good in. ODIs lately though. Root can definitely displace Barrington or some other middle order bat when he retires. Anderson is beaten by Barnes and Bedser for the medium fast swing bowler spot. I'll take your word on Ashwin.

trundler

An English atg for me, looks something like this:

Hutton
Hobbs
Hammond
Barrington
Compton
Botham
Knott+
Trueman
Larwood
Barnes
Laker

Joe Root can arguably fit in some where in the middle order. Even if u consider that a stretch, the overall point is that all teams have recently produced world class players except WI.
That's exactly mine too. Root can have the 3rd middle order spot after Hammond and Compton. I agree with your point though. Went off on a tangent.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Is he turning into an elite allrounder or has he just padding his stats? Discuss
He is a solid allrounder but how well he does from here will depend on how he uses himself.

He is not a third seamer in a 4 man attack against top quality sides. He will be the weakest link in that unit. Not even Stokes or Hardik Pandya are the third best seamers in their respective sides.

He is however a very good fourth seamer behind Roach, Gabriel and Cummins/Joseph in a 5 man attack.

Good enough to bat at 7.

So basically he allows West Indies to play 5-5-1 but if they change the balance and opt to go with a 4 man attack, it won't quite work against the top sides

a massive zebra

International Captain
The 3 Ws, Kanhai, and Garner don't make a West Indian ATG team though. Hardly fair. I do see your point though.
No need to state your personal opinions as dogmatic facts. Plenty of people would pick Weekes, Walcott and Garner in their West Indian ATG side.

trundler

That's not the way my posts were intended to be read. It was all my opinion of course.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i have a lot of love for holder because he's had to put himself through herculean spells against really strong teams while having dross opposite him giving no assistance, and he's done it without complaint, and he's now being rewarded

finally getting to be closer to where he deserves

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
i have a lot of love for holder because he's had to put himself through herculean spells against really strong teams while having dross opposite him giving no assistance, and he's done it without complaint, and he's now being rewarded

finally getting to be closer to where he deserves
Agreed. But now he's got the support of a fine seam bowling attack around him. Here's our current selection of seamers and their averages:

Opening bowler: Shannon Gabriel (111 wickets at 29)
Opening bowler: Kemar Roach (163 wickets at 28)
Third seamer: Miguel Cummins (27 wickets at 37)
Fourth seamer/all rounder: Jason Holder (81 wickets at 29)

Back up seamers:

Keemo Paul (FC 57 wickets at 17)
Alzari Joseph (16 wickets at 38)

That's pretty impressive tbh. So I think averaging 30-35 with the bat and around 30 with the ball is going to be his career stats. Maybe even better given the bowling support he is going to have.

Redsok

Cricket Spectator
Is he turning into an elite allrounder or has he just padding his stats? Discuss

"padding his stats" lol what a dumbass

Who even asks such a question.. especially about someone who is literally the Number 1 All Rounder in the world. 6'7 player too, which is even more bonkers. Number 2 All Rounder now, i think. After Stokes

Clearly you never even watched Holder play, but still out here saying insinuating stupid garbage.. Discuss it with yourself boy, in front of a mirror