• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers of limited talent who had International Success beyond their abilities

Bolo

State Captain
Away average of 27 is still very good
True. I think I misinterpreted the thread title to be players who achieved results beyond their level of talent, rather than players of limited talent who achieved anyway. He's extremely talented as a bowler, just not ATG level stats talented.

steve132

U19 Debutant
Kumble doesn't fit, for mine. Was earmarked as a potential great right from the beginning. I don't back that because he didn't turn the ball square that he had limited talent. Bloke was a fabulous cricketer.

Clive Lloyd maybe?

No. I saw Lloyd play just as he was about to enter first class cricket, and it was obvious even then that he was an extremely talented cricketer.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
[/B]

No. I saw Lloyd play just as he was about to enter first class cricket, and it was obvious even then that he was an extremely talented cricketer.
Hmm, good point. I focussed more on the latter part of the thread title than the former, I guess. Even then, it doesn't quite fit, didn't realise the bloke had 20 Test tons.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, good point. I focussed more on the latter part of the thread title than the former, I guess. Even then, it doesn't quite fit, didn't realise the bloke had 20 Test tons.
Yes, Lloyd was outstanding. When I first started watching the game in the early 1970s, he was regarded as one of the best in the world; arguably he and Greg Chappell were the certainties in a World XI middle order. That perception diminished a bit when Viv Richards came along, but not being quite as good as Viv doesn't make anyone a bad player.

His ton in the 1975 WC final against a very fine Aus attack remains one of my favourite innings in any form of the game. And at a quite ridiculous strike rate for that era, too.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, blokes that are described as being naturally talented are generally superb fielders eg Hammond, Lara, and obviously Don.