• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

From Rabble to Glory - Players and Teams that started off crap but got much better

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Khan was not great over the first 23 tests. He then changed his actio and style after being impressed by Lillee. Became one of the greatest quicks and ARs.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Khan was not great over the first 23 tests. He then changed his actio and style after being impressed by Lillee. Became one of the greatest quicks and ARs.
Not quite:

How Imran got fast - special mention to John Parker from NZ - shame he didn't help any NZ fast bowlers in this manner:

How Imran Khan changed his bowling action in a school in Worcester in 1971 - ESPN

He did do it because he wanted to be quick like Lillee, though:

Imran Khan: 'The more the pressure, the stronger I got' | Cricket | ESPNcricinfo

In 1972, Australia came to England. I watched Dennis Lillee bowl and that's when I decided I wanted to be fast. It was the first time I'd seen a genuine fast bowler. Pakistan didn't have any, and I just loved it. It appealed to my instincts, my aggressive way of playing. I was a medium-pacer then and Worcester would encourage me to bowl that because I had a natural inswinger.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Hypochondriac. Crabby. Simply ugly. He's been called everything:

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

After 51 tests, 85 innings and just 2 centuries to his name Shivnarine Chanderpaul averaged 38.6. Useful.

But not the start of an ATG batsman with a career average of over 50.

After removing a piece of bone from his foot, this guy ultimately joined the ranks and standing shoulders with the games best ever, and would be even more highly regarded imo, had he not had such a mediocre career start.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Agreed.

Also the ugly technique doesn't help Chander's reputation
But Amla and Chanderpaul's ugliness is a feather in the cap of the selectors who persisted imo. It is far easier to keep selecting a non-performing batsman with VVS Laxman's elegance, than a non-performing batsman who looks like they don't have the technique to ever perform at the level desired.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Jacques Kallis

16 tests, 607 runs @ 25.29 with just 1 ton. Many players loses all their hope by now and their teams replaces them with next in line. Luckily SA and Cronje persisted with Kallis and look where he reached.

MartinB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
David Boon, Mathew Hayden, Langer
Ian Redpath - Started as an agressive batsman aeraging < 40, became a slow scrorer averaging > 50 in
Alan Davidson -picked to soon but averaged 27 with bat and 5+ wickets a test @ 19 in his last 6 years
Richie Benaud - picked to soon excellent 55 -> 61

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Jacques Kallis

16 tests, 607 runs @ 25.29 with just 1 ton. Many players loses all their hope by now and their teams replaces them with next in line. Luckily SA and Cronje persisted with Kallis and look where he reached.
Nice!

I was reading about Kallis's early career recently in regards to SAC "quota" selections and "persistence" selections.

Excellent call KingKallis.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
David Boon, Mathew Hayden, Langer
Ian Redpath - Started as an agressive batsman aeraging < 40, became a slow scrorer averaging > 50 in
Alan Davidson -picked to soon but averaged 27 with bat and 5+ wickets a test @ 19 in his last 6 years
Richie Benaud - picked to soon excellent 55 -> 61
Tell us more about Boon, Hayden and Langer.

Langer had a great tour of NZ early in his career.

Cow

Banned
Infamous cheat and global disgrace, Steve Smith, was a terrible cricketer when I watched him in the 2010/2011 Ashes. Stiff technique, pushing hard the ball, no footwork and bowled some absolute filth too. Yet 5 years later he was one of the world's premier batsmen. So credit to the cheat and disgrace for having the mental fortitude to work at his game and disregard aesthetics and style in the pursuit of runs.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Infamous cheat and global disgrace, Steve Smith, was a terrible cricketer when I watched him in the 2010/2011 Ashes. Stiff technique, pushing hard the ball, no footwork and bowled some absolute filth too. Yet 5 years later he was one of the world's premier batsmen. So credit to the cheat and disgrace for having the mental fortitude to work at his game and disregard aesthetics and style in the pursuit of runs.
Cow, straight out of the "a backhanded compliment is still a compliment" manual.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Guys, don't be shy to discuss teams. This is a team sport afterall.

I am obviously a Kiwi fan, and I am aware of the Hadlee era under Howarth then continued by Coney/Crowe and Wright, the Flem era with Cairns then Bond, and the KW/BMac/Boult era under Hesson's coaching, but don't be afraid to discuss teams.

What changed the team's fortunes? The form of certain individuals, the game or selection plan. Share what you know or think.

Obvious candidates are the EWCB team before the 2005 Ashes (was 2005 just KP and Flintoff?), Australia before or during the 1989 Ashes (Border, Marsh, Tubby, SWaugh, Healy, Boonie, Alderman, Hughes) WI under LLoyd with 4 seamers, perhaps India under Ganguly or when Gavaskar scored big in England in the 1970's, this is after all a team sport.

Many may find the team discussion of things changing, like SL in the mid 90's is totally fascinating. I know I would. I still rate Gurusinghe as a fair bat.

If you know of a period where the team turned around performances, discuss them. Pakistan with Imran, Younis, and Akram suddenly threatened WI at home by the very early 1990's with Javed and Salim. These stories exist. Share them.

Last edited: