Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuffey

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar

Tuffey

I think I'm one of the unlucky people who has never seen a game where Tuffey really shone out, yet somehow he's ranked in the top ten in the world over at PwC... I honestly have no idea how that happened. I wish I knew, because I'd rather be proud of my country than slightly embarrassed about a player being highly overrated. Can anyone tell me why in the world he's rated so highly, when he always just seemed so... mediocre/average to me? Have I missed something?

EDIT: Oh man, his bowling average is over 28, too! x_x I don't get it.
    Last edited by Loony BoB; 10-05-2004 at 03:31 PM.
    REMEMBER: A couple of years in therapy, you'll get over it.

Proud to be a member of the CW Colts

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    He's a form bowler who has had some good performances in recent times against decent batsmen.

I can't wait to see him over here to be honest...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

He bowled well against us at home and also in NZ (the only two times i've sincerely seen him bowl). IMO he's a good bowler.
    You talking to IR?

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to seeing him - he's put in a lot of hard yards lately, and his performance on the India tour was excellent in context.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

if bond is fit, i think he will struggle to make the XI. martin will be ahead of him in the picking order, after his recent south african series

Quote Originally Posted by TDCC Young Guns
    if bond is fit, i think he will struggle to make the XI. martin will be ahead of him in the picking order, after his recent south african series
    I would rate Tuffey higher than Martin.

Martin was very mediocre when he first came on the scene. Yes, he bowled well against SAF during the recent series, but Tuffey has proved his worth over a period of time, unlike Martin.

Tim
    Tuffey is never going to be a big draw-card..he's probably the equivilent of a Mark Richardson with the ball. But over the last 18 months he's quietly improved to the point where batsmen most likely believe he's their worst nightmare on a pitch that has a decent amount of seam-movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudeep Popat
    I would rate Tuffey higher than Martin.

Martin was very mediocre when he first came on the scene. Yes, he bowled well against SAF during the recent series, but Tuffey has proved his worth over a period of time, unlike Martin.
    That maybe so, BUT he did take at least 18 wickets v South Africa and Martin does deserve a run in English conditions.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Tuffey is never going to be a big draw-card..he's probably the equivilent of a Mark Richardson with the ball. But over the last 18 months he's quietly improved to the point where batsmen most likely believe he's their worst nightmare on a pitch that has a decent amount of seam-movement.

It's always this sort of player you have to be more wary of IMO.

Tuffey is the danger bowler I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    That maybe so, BUT he did take at least 18 wickets v South Africa and Martin does deserve a run in English conditions.
    I disagree - if it's a choice between proven over long time or 2 good games I would go for the long term option - especially if he's bowling better over here (which I believe Tuffey is)

Tim
    As I said, for the last 18 months Tuffey has bowled exceptionally well (apart from the South African series where he was carrying an injury). It's a shame that most people only remember a player from the last series rather than over a longer period of time because he was bowling very consistently up until his indifferent results v South Africa.

Martin was fantastic against South Africa, but I feel he'll need to keep that up for a long while yet to overtake Tuffey.
    He's more likely to leapfrog Bond who is still to prove himself in test cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    I disagree - if it's a choice between proven over long time or 2 good games I would go for the long term option - especially if he's bowling better over here (which I believe Tuffey is)
    I never actually said Tuffey would sit out. So maybe your reading in between the lines, I mean I'm not sure on how fit Bond is, so there is no reason why Tuffey and Martin cant play?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    I never actually said Tuffey would sit out. So maybe your reading in between the lines, I mean I'm not sure on how fit Bond is, so there is no reason why Tuffey and Martin cant play?

tuffey is an average bowler who has had the privilliage of playing inida on soft green seamers. richardson could get wickets bowling pace with those circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    WTF richardson is one of the funniest crickets weve got, and dont forget the 2nd most important one. only flem would get picked ahead of him

if bond is fit, he is the best bowler we have got

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    It's always this sort of player you have to be more wary of IMO.

Tuffey is the danger bowler I think.
    tuffey will be a very good support bowler in this series and it will be very difficult to get runs of him. however if NZ cant get another bowler to be their main strike weapon and tuffey ends up being their most potent bowler in the entire attack then their chances of winning this series dont look too good.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information