• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tuffey

Loony BoB

International Captain
I think I'm one of the unlucky people who has never seen a game where Tuffey really shone out, yet somehow he's ranked in the top ten in the world over at PwC... I honestly have no idea how that happened. I wish I knew, because I'd rather be proud of my country than slightly embarrassed about a player being highly overrated. Can anyone tell me why in the world he's rated so highly, when he always just seemed so... mediocre/average to me? Have I missed something? :(

EDIT: Oh man, his bowling average is over 28, too! x_x I don't get it.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He's a form bowler who has had some good performances in recent times against decent batsmen.

I can't wait to see him over here to be honest...

chicane

State Captain
He bowled well against us at home and also in NZ (the only two times i've sincerely seen him bowl). IMO he's a good bowler.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm looking forward to seeing him - he's put in a lot of hard yards lately, and his performance on the India tour was excellent in context.

cbuts

International Debutant
if bond is fit, i think he will struggle to make the XI. martin will be ahead of him in the picking order, after his recent south african series

Sudeep

International Captain
TDCC Young Guns said:
if bond is fit, i think he will struggle to make the XI. martin will be ahead of him in the picking order, after his recent south african series
I would rate Tuffey higher than Martin.

Martin was very mediocre when he first came on the scene. Yes, he bowled well against SAF during the recent series, but Tuffey has proved his worth over a period of time, unlike Martin.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Tuffey is never going to be a big draw-card..he's probably the equivilent of a Mark Richardson with the ball. But over the last 18 months he's quietly improved to the point where batsmen most likely believe he's their worst nightmare on a pitch that has a decent amount of seam-movement.

Craig

World Traveller
Sudeep Popat said:
I would rate Tuffey higher than Martin.

Martin was very mediocre when he first came on the scene. Yes, he bowled well against SAF during the recent series, but Tuffey has proved his worth over a period of time, unlike Martin.
That maybe so, BUT he did take at least 18 wickets v South Africa and Martin does deserve a run in English conditions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Tuffey is never going to be a big draw-card..he's probably the equivilent of a Mark Richardson with the ball. But over the last 18 months he's quietly improved to the point where batsmen most likely believe he's their worst nightmare on a pitch that has a decent amount of seam-movement.

It's always this sort of player you have to be more wary of IMO.

Tuffey is the danger bowler I think.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
That maybe so, BUT he did take at least 18 wickets v South Africa and Martin does deserve a run in English conditions.
I disagree - if it's a choice between proven over long time or 2 good games I would go for the long term option - especially if he's bowling better over here (which I believe Tuffey is)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
As I said, for the last 18 months Tuffey has bowled exceptionally well (apart from the South African series where he was carrying an injury). It's a shame that most people only remember a player from the last series rather than over a longer period of time because he was bowling very consistently up until his indifferent results v South Africa.

Martin was fantastic against South Africa, but I feel he'll need to keep that up for a long while yet to overtake Tuffey.
He's more likely to leapfrog Bond who is still to prove himself in test cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
I disagree - if it's a choice between proven over long time or 2 good games I would go for the long term option - especially if he's bowling better over here (which I believe Tuffey is)
I never actually said Tuffey would sit out. So maybe your reading in between the lines, I mean I'm not sure on how fit Bond is, so there is no reason why Tuffey and Martin cant play?

Sudeep

International Captain
Craig said:
I never actually said Tuffey would sit out. So maybe your reading in between the lines, I mean I'm not sure on how fit Bond is, so there is no reason why Tuffey and Martin cant play?
marc71178 said:

cbuts

International Debutant
tuffey is an average bowler who has had the privilliage of playing inida on soft green seamers. richardson could get wickets bowling pace with those circumstances.

Tim said:
WTF richardson is one of the funniest crickets weve got, and dont forget the 2nd most important one. only flem would get picked ahead of him

if bond is fit, he is the best bowler we have got

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
It's always this sort of player you have to be more wary of IMO.

Tuffey is the danger bowler I think.
tuffey will be a very good support bowler in this series and it will be very difficult to get runs of him. however if NZ cant get another bowler to be their main strike weapon and tuffey ends up being their most potent bowler in the entire attack then their chances of winning this series dont look too good.

anzac

International Debutant
TDCC Young Guns said:
tuffey is an average bowler who has had the privilliage of playing inida on soft green seamers. richardson could get wickets bowling pace with those circumstances.

hey look I'll put my hand up and be the first to admit that I was one that said Tuffey may struggle to hold his place with Martin as a 'strike' weapon, but what the ????????

Tuffey's bowling in IND (esp the 2nd test) was second to none on a flat track that I've seen for a long time..............

then his bowling v PAK in the Home series was also very good on tracks that were not the same as those for the IND Home series - even if his returns were overshadowed by both the PAKs & Butler - some of his spells were quite a treat to watch as he constantly had all the batsmen in trouble........

IMO he actually bowls a LOT better than his figures suggest...........& many batsman seem to look to see Tuffey off nowadays...............

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
TDCC Young Guns said:
tuffey is an average bowler who has had the privilliage of playing inida on soft green seamers.

So his career record is only like it is because of those 2 games?

Yet you rate Oram as an all-rounder and those 2 games are the only reason his bowling is below 30!

cbuts

International Debutant
man im gonna love it when oram tears u guys up. orams bowling average would be under 30 for most teams he has played against. oram was deffinalty the best of our bowlers in the series india. oram is the perfect support bowler for someone like bond, good line and length, no easy runs, and if u relax against him, he will get u out. tuffey is soooo overated, his average was above 30 until he played india, where it dropped to 25.51, every test since then has seen a slow rise, it wont be long to its back over 30.

against india orams average was 15. it has risen steadily ut has appeared now, over the last 3 series to have settled between 25 and 26. i never said oram was a better bowler than tuffey, combined with his batting, oram is the best all rounder in the world