• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tuffey

Kent

State 12th Man
The problem is Vettori is great mates with most of the old firm. It's taken a bit of a rogue like Scott Styris to start working on part-time spin, because everyone else wants Vettori on tours and in the dressing room with them. In a manly way.

Speaking of which, it's worth noting my buddy Ross Taylor is taking wickets in league cricket with his off-breaks, so he might be an option in future years.

Loony BoB

International Captain
To be fair to Vettori, he does have a knack for batting well in times of need - in all kinds of conditions. And he CAN take wickets... he just needs to figure out how, and preferrably on this tour.

The thing is, if he was playing full domestic seasons, he may well still be the top wicket-taking domestic spinner in the country... and when you think of it that way, I guess you start to see the point the selectors make about him being ahead of the rest. Of course, that is a bit of an assumption.

Kent

State 12th Man
Something I've occasionally daydreamed about Sky Sport doing over here every summer is have a televised 'bowl-off'.

Get all the Richard Sherlocks, Bruce Martins and even lesser-known young players to come along at their province's invitation. Get them on the speed guns, the good camera angles etc., bowling to the Black Caps top-order. After each has a spell the experts analyse them and give them a rating, with a cash prize or whatever for the best peformance.

The main reason for that little lame idea is that once people see a guy like Bruce Martin has things going for him that even Vettori just doesn't have right now, the public and the selectors might start to think a little differently. No more advantage solely because you were good once, you're an experienced household name or you're great mates with Flem.

anzac

International Debutant
Loony BoB said:
To be fair to Vettori, he does have a knack for batting well in times of need - in all kinds of conditions. And he CAN take wickets... he just needs to figure out how, and preferrably on this tour.

The thing is, if he was playing full domestic seasons, he may well still be the top wicket-taking domestic spinner in the country... and when you think of it that way, I guess you start to see the point the selectors make about him being ahead of the rest. Of course, that is a bit of an assumption.
Vettori's batting is a bonus but it is NOT his primary function.....IMO if a player is NOT making a regular contribution re their primary function (or both so far as allrounders are concerned) then they should NOT be selected unless they are showing all the right signs that they are getting it back on track & it is just a matter of time...........

anzac

International Debutant
Kent said:
The problem is Vettori is great mates with most of the old firm. It's taken a bit of a rogue like Scott Styris to start working on part-time spin, because everyone else wants Vettori on tours and in the dressing room with them. In a manly way.

Speaking of which, it's worth noting my buddy Ross Taylor is taking wickets in league cricket with his off-breaks, so he might be an option in future years.
again something I brought up earlier re middle order batsmen contributing part time spin.............

Kent

State 12th Man
I'm trying to remember the last player we stubbornly hung on to as much as Vettori is being currently. Bracewell has kept the faith though, saying Vettori is simply suffering from a crisis of confidence. Crisis of not knowing where his next string of wickets could possibly come from, more like.

I'm also starting to wonder if Bracewell is a little bit on the wacky side......"he's getting hit in the right areas"?!!

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
As far as im concerned, there's too much analysis going on. Bracewell and his side-kick with the computer are probably working out percentages, charts & god knows what else & telling Vettori he's on the right track.

How many times have I read in the paper recently that according to a number of experts, Vettori is bowling too slowly through the air. I think I read in the paper that apparently Vettori was holding back so that Geraint Jones couldn't report much back to the England team.

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
As far as im concerned, there's too much analysis going on. Bracewell and his side-kick with the computer are probably working out percentages, charts & god knows what else & telling Vettori he's on the right track.

How many times have I read in the paper recently that according to a number of experts, Vettori is bowling too slowly through the air. I think I read in the paper that apparently Vettori was holding back so that Geraint Jones couldn't report much back to the England team.

too slowly!!!!!!!

hell one of the theories going around during the RSA series was that he couldn't get a wicket because he was bowling about 5 kph FASTER than the likes of Boje, who threw it in flatter but slower, whereas Vettori gave it more air but was bowling quicker - the 'experts' wanted him to slow down to give the ball more chance to grip!!!!!