• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tuffey

iamdavid

International Debutant
I think Tuffey dosent get half the credit he deserves.
To all those who saw him make his test debut in 2000 it would have been obvious that he was not the most naturally gifted of cricketers , yet through sheer hard work & desire to succed , he has transformed himself from an unthreatening trundler to a test class fast bowler & a thorn in the side of any opposition.

He has developed exceptional control & he can move the ball sufficiently to be a threat in most conditions , but his attitude is what makes him a winner for me , you can tell he wouldnt shirk any task & would bowl himself into the ground for the good of his team.

Comparisons with Mark Richardson are valid , for me these two players sum up the Kiwi side very well ....... two individuals of average natural ability who have become world class players in their respective disiplines through work ethic & a competitive streak.

Craig

World Traveller
Richardson may be world class, but he needs to start turning his 50s into 100s.

However, stats wise he sits on top of New Zealand's all-time Test averages.

cbuts

International Debutant
i aint concerend about richis conversion rate. whilst it would be nice to see him kick on a bit more, id rather see him get a start every innings. i dont think its any secret that since he has been around, we have improved alot at test cricket. im sorry tim, but i dont rate tuffey at all. bond martin cairns and oram would be my pacies

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Early in his career, Tuffey had an awful record away from NZ, but he showed on the tour of India last year that he has dramatically improved (I think he took 5 wickets in one morning session in the last test, where he ended the first innings and knocked the top of the order off when they followed on, including Sehwag and Tendulkar), and considering how much bat dominated ball in that series, his performances were excellent.

Also, best FC figures of 7-12 are quite impressive! (although to be fair, not sure of the conditions or quality of opposition)

I think he is NZ's best (or at least most consistent and reliable) pace bowler, and I personally expect him to be NZ's top wicket taker this series.

anzac

International Debutant
I'm pretty sure I've already said this but IMO part of his early career blow out was as a result of him trying to bowl too quickly & having no rythmn = no control over his line or length...........much like the growing pains some of the ENG seam bowlers have been going thru'................

from memory he appeared to be trying to be a 'strike' bowler in an effort to cement his opportunity in the side, as NZ has always had plenty of traditional 'line & length' bowlers.........in his debut series v OZ he got smashed off the park & I think he was trying to shape himself as the new attack spearhead - as Lee was for OZ.......

if he had some problem either with form / injury / batsman etc his length would start to shorten & at his pace that usually meant he would get pulled thru the on side for 4..............

this is another reason why I think he is a bowler that needs a lot of work - so as to get those old bad habits out of his system by good work practises in the middle........

come to think of it perhaps there could still be some hope for Butler to develop along the same lines - after all he's only just turned 22 - perhaps he needs to go to another State team where there is more competition for the top seamer's spot..............

:)

a massive zebra

International Captain
TDCC Young Guns said:
i never said oram was a better bowler than tuffey, combined with his batting, oram is the best all rounder in the world
How exactly is Oram anywhere near as good as Kallis or Pollock may I ask?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Kallis isn't near the all-rounder he used to be mind you...bowling wise he's lost pace & he certainly gave NZ no concerns last month than in previous encounters.

Pollock still has ability with the bat, but he only seems to show it in glimpses. He was awful in the recent test series, yet in the ODI's he was brilliant.

If Oram keeps progressing he'll be very good, but probably not as good as Kallis or Pollock were 3 or 4 years back.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Definately in ODI's, FLintoff has been the better player.

In tests as an all-rounder though Flintoff hasn't exactly starred with the ball so currently it's fairly even between the two.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
no way, oram is better than flintoff.
and i reckon theres room for bond, tuffey AND martin. and also vettori then. this nz side is the stongest ive seen it for a long, long while... at least definately bowling-wise.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Definately in ODI's, FLintoff has been the better player.

In tests as an all-rounder though Flintoff hasn't exactly starred with the ball so currently it's fairly even between the two.
Flintoff's bowling is improving and his recent efforts are encouraging.

His figures certainly do not tell the whole story (and I know I keep saying it, but I firmly believe it)

anzac

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
tuffey has no chance of missing out....hes you're most reliable bowler!

agreed - Bond will sit out the 1st Test - he's not taking wickets yet..............

the only reason I suggested that Tuffey may have to fight to hold his spot is in the circumstances where both Bond & Martin are available & in form - NZ will want to have as many 'strike' options as possible in pursuit of winning cricket..........

however I believe Bracewell is predisposed to having at least 1 genuine spin bowler in the side, which would mean room for only 4 seam options with Oram & Cairns included...........

also means they do not have to select 5 bowlers in the post Cairns era & can go with an extra batsman to force the issue even more................

Craig

World Traveller
If somebody in the NZ middle order developed some serious ability in the spin bowling department, Vettori could sit out, and play that extra seamer.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Craig said:
If somebody in the NZ middle order developed some serious ability in the spin bowling department, Vettori could sit out, and play that extra seamer.
Get the grumpy old man (Richardson) spinning until his stats go wrong, I say.