• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Kirkut

International Regular
The thing with playing off the backfoot is understanding not every ball should be played of the backfoot and recognising which ones to play forward to
I thought playing on the backfoot could be the best way to nullify the flight of the ball, because you're anyways mentally prepared to play a shot only after the ball bounces. But such an approach would only help those who are very good at playing the ball late.

Kirkut

International Regular
Sometimes it's good to take a no fear approach to spinners. If you send them packing for two expensive overs, more often than not the opposition captain will take them off. Risky strategy though.

I find spinners which drift the ball to be the hardest. Drift screws around with my brain.
Again a very good intuition of the trajectory of the ball is needed for that I guess, which comes through practice. I used to think that hitting a spinner for a boundary shouldn't be hard but that offie who was bowling to me in nets was getting the ball to move like a sine wave in the air, and I could not even touch the ball with my bat.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Depends on what format you are playing, really. I only played long format when I was in school. So back then we had to kinda internally agree within our team that we won't try more than one big shot an over against spinners, esp. finger spinners. The wristies were never far away from a long hop or a full toss, so all you had to do was keep out their good deliveries and cash in when they inevitably bowled their bad ones. The finger spinners were more consistent in where they land the ball, but also easier to line up when you are looking for a big shot. LO cricket, usually the game dictates how you should play them. And I never tried to pre-decide how to face a particular bowler - like deciding I am going to play back to this bowler or I am going to go forward to this bowler. At that level, with 15-17 year old kids playing, it was a rare thing to see more than 2 balls on the same length. So my footwork usually was based on the length of the ball and sometimes the trajectory, for the spinners mainly.

cnerd123

likes this
Again a very good intuition of the trajectory of the ball is needed for that I guess, which comes through practice. I used to think that hitting a spinner for a boundary shouldn't be hard but that offie who was bowling to me in nets was getting the ball to move like a sine wave in the air, and I could not even touch the ball with my bat.
All sin waves have a formula behind them...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
#youreoverthinkingthisbigtime

TheJediBrah

can we stop this talk about playing spin honestly it sounds like what I imagine a group of 12 year old boys discussing among themselves how best to pleasure a woman would be

not that I imagine that

cnerd123

likes this
Mate if you don't want to read people discussing how to play spin bowling then don't read a cricket forum

cnerd123

likes this
#youreoverthinkingthisbigtime
Clearly he's had a traumatic experience at the hands of a finger spinner. And unlike most people, who express their trauma as anger and hate, he chooses instead to show the noble art the respect it deserves. Instead of lashing out, he's looking inwards, in an effort to identify his own shortcomings

You could learn a thing or two from him

Burgey

I think it's more likely he's just not a very good player tbh. Which would explain why he'd have trouble with finger spin on anything other than a moon crater. It's also totally fine, btw. I would happily fall within the category of being a poor player too.

Then again, I'm 50, have two shot knees, a frozen shoulder and haven't had a hit in about three years.

Last edited:

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
can we stop this talk about playing spin honestly it sounds like what I imagine a group of 12 year old boys discussing among themselves how best to pleasure a woman would be

not that I imagine that
Haha yeah I know all about spin bowling *tugs collar nervously* it's like hitting uh a bag of sand

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Playing any spin bowling is all about picking the length. If the bowler isn't deceiving you in the air you can take him for as many runs as you like.

TheJediBrah

The secret to playing spin bowling is hitting it on the full so it doesn't spin. Just bat 4 yards out of your crease. Surprised more players haven't figured that out.

Daemon

The greatest player of spin that I’ve seen is Sehwag, and he treated them with the respect they deserved.