• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst regular all-rounder for a top side

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mitch Marsh is hardly the worst. He's become a better than decent player. He does deserve a mention though given just how long the Aus selectors persisted with him despite him being useless. It was crazy. Just because he became good for his last couple series (or basically just the Ashes) doesn't excuse it.

OverratedSanity

Mitch Marsh is hardly the worst. He's become a better than decent player. He does deserve a mention though given just how long the Aus selectors persisted with him despite him being useless. It was crazy. Just because he became good for his last couple series (or basically just the Ashes) doesn't excuse it.
It kind of does excuse it if he goes on to be a good player though, doesn't it? Persistence can be a good thing sometimes.

TheJediBrah

It kind of does excuse it if he goes on to be a good player though, doesn't it? Persistence can be a good thing sometimes.
Not really because he became good after he finally did get dropped (probably injury related tbf) and went back to Shield cricket for a season. He shouldn't have played 20 straight Tests when he was averaging low-20s with the bat and barely bowling

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Colin deGrandhomme
I am intrigued as to why you think so lowly of poor Colin, the test player.

He has taken his brand of domestic cricket and made a 38 batting average (over 48 vs England) and a 29 bowling average (24.83 vs SA).

I think he's been an outstanding and surprise test success to many. He has a lot to work in limited overs - but he's definitely trying too, (and twice bought in the IPL now), but in tests, he has been magnificent for NZ. Made many commentators and experts have to eat humble pie.

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

I am intrigued as to why you think so lowly of poor Colin, the test player.

He has taken his brand of domestic cricket and made a 38 batting average (over 48 vs England) and a 29 bowling average (24.83 vs SA).

I think he's been an outstanding and surprise test success to many. He has a lot to work in limited overs, but in tests, he has been magnificent for NZ. Made many commentators and experts have to eat humble pie.
He's a poor man's Ajit Agarkar. Nothing special about him

Mr Miyagi

Banned
He's a poor man's Ajit Agarkar. Nothing special about him
I don't think there's anything special out Colin's talents, but he has been a success. Opened the bowling v SA with success. Batted stubbornly vs England with success. Bowled out Pakistan with success. Played a blistering century vs WI with success.

I know I want to be watching whenever Colin is batting in tests. I even enjoy watching him trundle. He is a biffer and an entertainer, but against England he showed he can play with great responsibility under pressure. Nothing special about his talents on the world stage (bar the huge 6 hitting ability), but that makes his success even more special, and means that there's something special about him and his career imo. I like his media interviews too. He is just a humorous laconic character (but digs in when necessary) and cricket needs more of them.

He needs to learn to pick wrist spinners soon though or he will become a meme.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Chris Harris was pretty bad for us in test cricket.
If that's as bad as it gets for NZC - that isn't too bad. Harry was a talented FC batsmen after all. I think that Chris Cairns, Dan Vettorri and Jacob Oram (even Nash and Franklin down lower with Styris up higher) kept a lot of the all-rounder spuds at bay in dark days. NZ isn't doing too poorly in the worst regular allrounders, even Nesham and Anderson have some highlights.

Heck knows we've had many atrocious regular test batsmen. Just sooooo many. Far too many. And NZC isn't too short on some mediocre bowling careers neither.

For when NZC was at is strongest in history, Wright and Franklin were the most successful opening partnership in NZC history, more so than Wright and Edgar - they may well still be. Trevor Franklin has a test batting average of 23.00 and was a lock in selection bar injuries post Edgar (at a SR of 26.44 hence the success).

Last edited:

Daemon

Hardly a regular

Inb4 Stuart Binny
Never seen a cricketer look so horribly out of his depth, thought he was worth a mention. Dude's given up his cricket dreams and is focusing on his studies/career instead, and going by his credentials that seems to be a good option.

OverratedSanity

As bad as Binny was I don't think he was anywhere near as bad as some 90's Indian no-rounders like Vijay Bhardwaj.