• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst regular bowler for a top side

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Amir has been averaging fewer than 3 wickets a match since his return at a subpar average. Sure there are catches dropped off him but he's basically surviving off reputation at this point.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
he wasn't a bad bowler but if you were given a picture of someone who was the barest minimum of good enough to be considered test class that picture would be chris martin
Even Mark Richardson changed his tune on him at the end. Harsh. Very harsh. In a thread with Wood, Henry, Salisbury, Sami, and you go with Martin. Harsh.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You mentioned Amir in the same post and cancelled it out
Yeah while there was a period where his stats were kinda ordinary, his post readmission stats now look good enough (average of around 33 which isn't horrible). And would looks heaps better with more luck (and not the Ishant kind).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Thread is about bowlers who played for top sides and people are talking about Pakistan lol

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sometimes you troll well. This isn't one of those times.
Yes, probably because it wasn't a troll. The notion of Pakistan being a "top team" is genuinely laughable. Next we'll be hearing about how Sri Lanka are a major player on the international circuit as well.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Yes, probably because it wasn't a troll. The notion of Pakistan being a "top team" is genuinely laughable. Next we'll be hearing about how Sri Lanka are a major player on the international circuit as well.
Well let me know when England beats Pakistan at home or away next.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
He came to mind for me first. ***** however has spotted Sami's horrendous 52.74 average from 36 tests.

An interesting thing about Sami is the split year by year. He started off promisingly in his first few tests, then it all went downhill for him.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

He averages 63.67 in Asia...horrible reading for him..
I dunno John, on closer inspect that looks like one good first test with 8 wickets, a fair third test, and then a continuous pile of crap thereafter ;)

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
I would say Giles from an English perspective. Even in the 2005 Ashes we persisted with him every game and he took 10 wickets @ 57.8. We didn't need him in the side and had good seam options over him. I like picking a spinner if he's worth his place in the side, but there's a strong argument England would have been better off just picking seamers at that point in time. He also only averaged 19.38 with the bat that series.

They used to say he was worth being in because he could bat. But only average 20 with the bat and we had plenty of decent bowlers then. Giles averaged ~41 with the ball with a strike rate of 85.1. I wasn't a fan that's for sure. Especially at home where he averaged 43.11 and 85.7 strike rate and often got picked in seamer friendly conditions.

Jack1

International Debutant
I dunno John, on closer inspect that looks like one good first test with 8 wickets, a fair third test, and then a continuous pile of crap thereafter ;)
The sixth test dragged his average back slightly, after that he had a nightmare though